Ulster Championship 2020

Started by J70, October 26, 2020, 03:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

I'm not that bothered where we beat Dublin! ;)

What a win, so proud of them lads and sick I can't he there at breffni this evening to welcome them home. But what a win and what a day.

bannside

Thats what its all about Itchy. You must be bouncing with joy....today was as good as it gets for the under dog and thats what keeps all the lower tier counties living in hope, by witnessing performances and occasions like today.

Im proud to say Antrim at least gave you a competitive game, every scrap of encouragement is needed!

Itchy

Quote from: bannside on November 22, 2020, 06:57:59 PM
Thats what its all about Itchy. You must be bouncing with joy....today was as good as it gets for the under dog and thats what keeps all the lower tier counties living in hope, by witnessing performances and occasions like today.

Im proud to say Antrim at least gave you a competitive game, every scrap of encouragement is needed!

That's it, that goal chance ye had goes in and Antrim couldve won. That's the beauty of competitive ulster championship and knock out football.

Angelo

A great day for the GAA today with two massive underdogs really coming to the fore and ending long famines at provincial level.

But both were nearly derailed by two utterly shambolic refereeing performances. When are the GAA going to do something about some of the shambolic refereeing performances we see week in week out during Championship season?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

LaurelEye

Quote from: RedHand88 on November 22, 2020, 05:53:21 PM
Cavan need to push for the athletic grounds or Portlaoise for the semi final. There is absolutely no need for it to be in Croke Park with no crowd.

I can think of a grounds in Leinster that the Cavan management may be familiar with. ;D

Well done Mickey and JD.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

sid waddell

It's often said that being involved in inter-county football or hurling in the modern era is no fun, that's it's a pure grind

One thing that is very obvious from just looking at or listening to Mickey Graham is that he brings a huge sense of fun and enjoyment to that Cavan team

Indomitable spirit like that does not happen by accident, it comes from having fun, from enjoyment, from trust, from loyalty, from the dressing room not being a grind but a happy place where players want to be

You need modern thinking, but you also need the very best of old school values

It's a massive lesson to some other bigger counties

You couldn't but be so happy for Cavan people, they'll be talking about this Ulster title for decades

yellowcard

Quote from: sid waddell on November 22, 2020, 06:52:09 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on November 22, 2020, 06:34:05 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on November 22, 2020, 06:30:08 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on November 22, 2020, 06:23:07 PM
The reason for it is that it will look better on TV. It has better lightning, better camera angles, and a better surface than anywhere else.

It's hard to argue with that reasoning.
Looking better on TV is very much in the eye of the beholder

Armagh is a great winter venue, the Athletic Grounds has a nice ambience, the surface was good, and it looked very well on television today, as did Pairc Ui Chaoimh yesterday and today

I think a smaller ground looks better empty than Croke Park does - even with crowds, Croke Park requires a minimum of 50k to not feel lonely

Maybe they could even hold the final in Armagh - if NI allows crowds in - and something like 1,000 people attended the play off at Windsor Park last week, why not hold it in there and let at least a few hundred in

It's really not Sid.

You might find Armagh pretty. But Croke Park has innumerable fixed cameras, overhead cameras and Hawkeye.

It will provide a better visual experience for the tv viewer.
Well I'm a TV viewer and would beg to disagree

I suspect many others would too

There is something crushing and soulless about an empty Croke Park that isn't there to the same extent at a venue like Armagh

Also given that there are no corporate commitments to fulfil there is no need for Croke Park for this match

As a Dub, I say level the playing field and give Cavan the neutral venue

I don't think the Dubs would have any complaints either and I don't think it will make any difference to the result. I agree that Croke Park is soulless when empty when all you can hear is a loud shrill echo.

clarshack

Well Done To Cavan and let's hope they can give the Dubs a better game than what they got last night from Meath. I'd agree that the semis should be taken out of Croke Park which would help Cavan.

Main Street

Quote from: Itchy on November 22, 2020, 06:54:26 PM

What a win, so proud of them lads and sick I can't he there at breffni this evening to welcome them home. But what a win and what a day.

Well done Itchy, your boys played a hell of a game.

marty34

Quote from: tonto1888 on November 22, 2020, 06:16:09 PM
Galligan's interview on bbc bear had me in tears.

Great stuff by him and his manager on tv.  Pure speaking from the heart instead of this robotic prehersed stuff that managers and players come out with.

Cavan played with passion from the first whistle. The goalie said they talked during the week about having a cut at it and that's what they did.

Too many managers, and by extension players, just go through the motions - routine stuff with no passion etc.  Graham is some manager- he has something which other managers like Bonner and Gallagher etc. don't have...passion with no little tactical nous and skill.

A great day for Cavan and their people - a huge gaa traditional county.

100 years after Bloody Sunday, the 4 same teams are in the semi-finala.  That's magic.

marty34

Quote from: RedHand88 on November 22, 2020, 06:22:16 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 22, 2020, 06:14:57 PM
Cavan Dublin should be in Navan

Tipp Mayo should be in Salthill

Guaranteed they'll both be at Croke Park though.

At the very least Dublin will be forced out of their home dressing home at Croke Park against "An Cabhan", right??
Ath Cliath will have to take the second changing room.

#armaghornowhere

marty34

Quote from: Itchy on November 22, 2020, 06:54:26 PM

Great stuff Itchy.

You must be incredibly proud this evening.

From Shannon Gaels to Munsterconnacht and everywhere in between.

quit yo jibbajabba

Jesus them interviews after the match were great. Some passion left in the game yet. Well done Cavan im now a fan 😊

bannside

This Cavan team have lit up the championship....4 wins in 4 weeks!  Fair to say the whole of Ulster and just about everywhere else Itchy will be rooting for Cavan now after that. I never fancied a team as much as today and have never been so wrong. Sport can be a great leveller.

armaghniac

This illustrates that the Ulster championship is indeed a proper competition. If someone asked you who would be in the Ulster final in 2030, you might express a slight preference for Donegal or Tyrone and perhaps suggest that Fermanagh lacks the pick, but a few years down the line you really couldn't really say. Even Antrim, long in a slump, came as close to the Ulster champions this year as anyone and an interesting choice of managerial team might bring them onwards.
Both Cavan and Tipperary built on underage success, nothing of the one day wonder there.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B