Ulster Championship 2020

Started by J70, October 26, 2020, 03:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westside

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 16, 2020, 09:59:30 AM
Quote from: Westside on November 16, 2020, 09:41:10 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2020, 11:17:36 PM
Quote from: Westside on November 15, 2020, 11:14:59 PM
When I asked who did the Sunday game have on I thought it would be obvious I didn't watch it... You're obviously not the sharpest tool, which explains a lot about why this is so confusing for you.

Wasn't talking about the Sunday game you didn't watch, you obviously didn't watch it live!

You couldn't get the rules right so let's just leave it there. Typical though of armchair pundits who know nothing of the rules

You seem to think you know more about the rules than the intercounty referee who was on the field looking at the incident. And you're talking about armchair pundits while using the Sunday Game panel to confirm that you are correct. LOL.

Well I'm a ref, so its the same rules if its under 12b league and intercounty, the ref got it wrong, most refs go through a game with some mistakes, like players and managers. The pundits on the Sunday game have the technology to review it and highlight it better, I seen it first time like the ref and called it.

The difference is the referee is looking at it differently on the day than someone sitting in his armchair. I doubt like some on here already have said you knew it was a rule.

It did even itself out if the mark was incorrect leading up to the Down goal.

Hopefully come Sunday against Donegal we won't be looking at mistakes by referees

There was no mistake, the ref didn't think it was done deliberately to gain an advantage. I don't see how you can't understand that, I sincerely hope you're never handed the whistle for an important game.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Angelo on November 16, 2020, 09:52:15 AM
Quote from: Cavan19 on November 16, 2020, 09:43:00 AM
Getting good mileage out of this one lads  ;D

If Madden did wrong it went a bit of way to even out previous mistakes by the referee as there was a 5 point swing in the Down goal that shouldn't have been and giving Martin Reilly a free with the goal at his mercy.

What was wrong the Down goal?

Thought the referee played advantage rightly there. He definitely should have given Reilly the advantage at the other end though.

He gave a mark for a catch just inside the 45. Should not have been a mark, should have been a line ball to Cavan as he went over the sideline. Down scored the goal directly off this decision.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Westside on November 16, 2020, 10:26:33 AM
When I asked who did the Sunday game have on I thought it would be obvious I didn't watch it... You're obviously not the sharpest tool, which explains a lot about why this is so confusing for you.

Wasn't talking about the Sunday game you didn't watch, you obviously didn't watch it live!

You couldn't get the rules right so let's just leave it there. Typical though of armchair pundits who know nothing of the rules

You seem to think you know more about the rules than the intercounty referee who was on the field looking at the incident. And you're talking about armchair pundits while using the Sunday Game panel to confirm that you are correct. LOL.

Well I'm a ref, so its the same rules if its under 12b league and intercounty, the ref got it wrong, most refs go through a game with some mistakes, like players and managers. The pundits on the Sunday game have the technology to review it and highlight it better, I seen it first time like the ref and called it.

The difference is the referee is looking at it differently on the day than someone sitting in his armchair. I doubt like some on here already have said you knew it was a rule.

Hopefully come Sunday against Donegal we won't be looking at mistakes by referees

There was no mistake, the ref didn't think it was done deliberately to gain an advantage. I don't see how you can't understand that, I sincerely hope you're never handed the whistle for an important game.

You're boring me now, if you, and its only you that thinks this, can't see it as being a foul, or even a square ball then I hope you are not involved with coaching kids..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

Quote from: Dreadnought on November 16, 2020, 10:32:11 AM

If Madden did wrong it went a bit of way to even out previous mistakes by the referee as there was a 5 point swing in the Down goal that shouldn't have been and giving Martin Reilly a free with the goal at his mercy.

Thought the referee played advantage rightly there. He definitely should have given Reilly the advantage at the other end though.

He gave a mark for a catch just inside the 45. Should not have been a mark, should have been a line ball to Cavan as he went over the sideline. Down scored the goal directly off this decision.

Fair enough but you're talking about a dead ball in Down's own half. You shouldn't be conceding goals in those situations so you can hardly lay the blame for the goal there.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Itchy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 16, 2020, 11:03:58 AM

You're boring me now, if you, and its only you that thinks this, can't see it as being a foul, or even a square ball then I hope you are not involved with coaching kids..

Milltown, I can see it in a certain application of this rule you could be right. However, in my entire time playing and following GAA I have never seen such a call made by a referee at any level of the game. For me Madden was on the line and ran past the defender inside him, he may have slighty stepped over the line. No different than a man running say along the sideline and sidesteps a player bringing himself out of the field of play.

Downs goal coming from an incorrectly awarded mark and Martin Reilly not getting advantage were much greater injustices but these things happen.

Westside

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 16, 2020, 11:03:58 AM

It's not only me. The referee, the man whose opinion actually matters, saw it the same way.

And if you think any coach in the country is telling young players not to hit touch like they're playing rugby or they can't rejoin the play, you're absolutely deluded. You sound like the typical schoolmaster type club referee that's out to exercise some authority and read the rule in the way that allows you to blow the whistle.

Milltown Row2

Yes don't make the rules up, I wouldn't be the hard nose ref either, I don't do a lot of cards and allow a lot of physical contact. It's just a point that this was a foul before the touching on ground for penalty.

I probably wouldn't have called him running in behind his marker (as he did clearly) and win the ball, I'd have questioned how he got behind the keeper to win the ball first, and blew for square ball
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Westside

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 16, 2020, 12:31:18 PM
Yes don't make the rules up, I wouldn't be the hard nose ref either, I don't do a lot of cards and allow a lot of physical contact. It's just a point that this was a foul before the touching on ground for penalty.

I probably wouldn't have called him running in behind his marker (as he did clearly) and win the ball, I'd have questioned how he got behind the keeper to win the ball first, and blew for square ball

The referee didn't think he left the field deliberately to gain an advantage, the referee didn't think he was in the square before the ball. Happy Monday.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Westside on November 16, 2020, 12:49:34 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 16, 2020, 12:31:18 PM

The referee didn't think he left the field deliberately to gain an advantage, the referee didn't think he was in the square before the ball. Happy Monday.

And the 'mark' incident he didn't see that one either.. I'm sure his assessor will have though

Cavan19

Quote from: Angelo on November 16, 2020, 11:26:29 AM

Shouldn't but it happened and it wouldn't have happened if the right call was made. Anyway have a good day guys i'm sure you will all agree at some stage  ;D

Fair enough but you're talking about a dead ball in Down's own half. You shouldn't be conceding goals in those situations so you can hardly lay the blame for the goal there.

Angelo

Quote from: Cavan19 on November 16, 2020, 01:34:12 PM

Shouldn't but it happened and it wouldn't have happened if the right call was made. Anyway have a good day guys i'm sure you will all agree at some stage  ;D

It's not the reason for the goal though.

Wrong decision but it didn't really have an impact in a goal or not. If you were to contest every wrong free out decision you could be here all day.

The Reilly goal chance was an absolutely terrible. I thought the referee had an error ridden game yesterday in its entirety.

Dreadnought

But Down quite literally scored the goal from that possession. Sure, Cavan should have stopped them getting in, but if you look at it simply, it should have been a Cavan lineball inside Downs 45. Down aren't scoring that goal as it was if possession was with Cavan. It's not that hard to see that.

Dreadnought

Quote from: Angelo on November 16, 2020, 01:57:43 PM
Quote from: Cavan19 on November 16, 2020, 01:34:12 PM

It's not the reason for the goal though.

Wrong decision but it didn't really have an impact in a goal or not. If you were to contest every wrong free out decision you could be here all day.

The Reilly goal chance was an absolutely terrible. I thought the referee had an error ridden game yesterday in its entirety.

How did it not have an impact on the goal? Down scored from that possession. It absolutely did have an impact. That goal is not happening in that way if Cavan got the sideline ball as Down backs would have dropped back, not attacking forward with the ball.

Angelo

Quote from: Dreadnought on November 16, 2020, 02:22:36 PM

But Down quite literally scored the goal from that possession. Sure, Cavan should have stopped them getting in, but if you look at it simply, it should have been a Cavan lineball inside Downs 45. Down aren't scoring that goal as it was if possession was with Cavan. It's not that hard to see that.

Goals could be scored from a wrongly awarded kickout in similar circumstances. You could analyse every minor decision like that. Cavan should not have been allowing a goal chance to develop so easily from a situation like that.

There's no doubt it was a wrong decision but you can't lay the blame of a goal at the referee in that situation. It's not like a dodgy penalty or a clear foul being committed that caused the goal. It was lax defending from Cavan. Down pretty much worked their ball from their own half without a challenge.

Itchy

Quote from: Angelo on November 16, 2020, 03:13:37 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on November 16, 2020, 02:22:36 PM

Goals could be scored from a wrongly awarded kickout in similar circumstances. You could analyse every minor decision like that. Cavan should not have been allowing a goal chance to develop so easily from a situation like that.

There's no doubt it was a wrong decision but you can't lay the blame of a goal at the referee in that situation. It's not like a dodgy penalty or a clear foul being committed that caused the goal. It was lax defending from Cavan. Down pretty much worked their ball from their own half without a challenge.

Angelo, can you define then how long before a score a referring mistake should be analysed as to whether it lead to a goal. Is it 1 second, 10 seconds, 20 seconds. Or is it by distance from the goals or what is it. Should we just refer all calls to you on the board here so you can adjudicate? What is the process.

The goal stood and in my opinion it was the right decision and even though the ref got two big calls wrong against us and he was from Monaghan I still think he had a damn good game.