Ulster Championship 2020

Started by J70, October 26, 2020, 03:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Westside on November 15, 2020, 11:14:59 PM
When I asked who did the Sunday game have on I thought it would be obvious I didn't watch it... You're obviously not the sharpest tool, which explains a lot about why this is so confusing for you.

Wasn't talking about the Sunday game you didn't watch, you obviously didn't watch it live!

You couldn't get the rules right so let's just leave it there. Typical though of armchair pundits who know nothing of the rules
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thewobbler

Lol at this thread.

McKernan's indiscretion was the most obvious one. But a referee and two umpires still shouldn't have missed what happened in the lead up.

mrdeeds

Quote from: macdanger2 on November 15, 2020, 11:09:57 PM
Tbh, I don't think he "deliberately" went outside the field of play, his eyes were on the ball the whole time. It should have been a free for tackling the keeper in the small rectangle though

Thought you can tackle keeper in small square? You're not allowed charge keeper?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: mrdeeds on November 15, 2020, 11:49:32 PM
Tbh, I don't think he "deliberately" went outside the field of play, his eyes were on the ball the whole time. It should have been a free for tackling the keeper in the small rectangle though

Thought you can tackle keeper in small square? You're not allowed charge keeper?

Can't touch him, thought the lad played the ball in fairness to him. But if he was in the square before the ball it was a square ball.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Eire90

should they scrap mckenna cup fbd etc next year give players a rest.

Milltown Row2

Yes but inside that square most refs will blow when there is contact, in this case the player played the ball cleanly.

balladmaker

Quote from: hardstation on November 16, 2020, 08:05:20 AM
Then most refs are 100% wrong. The rule clearly states:

When he is within the small rectangle, the goalkeeper may not be charged but he may be challenged for possession of the ball, and his kick or pass may be blocked. Incidental contact with the goalkeeper while playing the ball is permitted.

As far as I'm reading on that, other than being shouldered, a keeper can be legally tackled like everyone else. It is a myth that the keeper can't be touched and referees believe it and fecking perpetuate it.

... and have done so for as long as I can remember.  Can't remember seeing a ref. permitting a keeper being challenged within the small rectangle.

Milltown Row2

When he is within the small rectangle, the goalkeeper may not be charged but he may be challenged for possession of the ball, and his kick or pass may be blocked. Incidental contact with the goalkeeper while playing the ball is permitted.

As far as I'm reading on that, other than being shouldered, a keeper can be legally tackled like everyone else. It is a myth that the keeper can't be touched and referees believe it and fecking perpetuate it.

Yes, like I said most refs will hear the cry, "ya can't touch the keeper" challenging the ball is acceptable, I've no problem that, there are some rules that for whatever reason have lingered on from way back that still be called, but at intercounty level or certainly at senior championship level these calls shouldn't be missed, that's why I'm surprised at yesterdays game.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on November 16, 2020, 08:41:14 AM
Yet you are on here saying "can't touch him" like it's a fact.

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2020, 11:53:09 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on November 15, 2020, 11:49:32 PM

Can't touch him, thought the lad played the ball in fairness to him. But if he was in the square before the ball it was a square ball.

I know  ;D

Westside

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2020, 11:17:36 PM
When I asked who did the Sunday game have on I thought it would be obvious I didn't watch it... You're obviously not the sharpest tool, which explains a lot about why this is so confusing for you.

Wasn't talking about the Sunday game you didn't watch, you obviously didn't watch it live!

You couldn't get the rules right so let's just leave it there. Typical though of armchair pundits who know nothing of the rules

You seem to think you know more about the rules than the intercounty referee who was on the field looking at the incident. And you're talking about armchair pundits while using the Sunday Game panel to confirm that you are correct. LOL.

Cavan19

Getting good mileage out of this one lads  ;D

If Madden did wrong it went a bit of way to even out previous mistakes by the referee as there was a 5 point swing in the Down goal that shouldn't have been and giving Martin Reilly a free with the goal at his mercy.

Angelo

Quote from: Cavan19 on November 16, 2020, 09:43:00 AM

If Madden did wrong it went a bit of way to even out previous mistakes by the referee as there was a 5 point swing in the Down goal that shouldn't have been and giving Martin Reilly a free with the goal at his mercy.

What was wrong the Down goal?

Thought the referee played advantage rightly there. He definitely should have given Reilly the advantage at the other end though.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Westside on November 16, 2020, 09:41:10 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2020, 11:17:36 PM

You seem to think you know more about the rules than the intercounty referee who was on the field looking at the incident. And you're talking about armchair pundits while using the Sunday Game panel to confirm that you are correct. LOL.

Well I'm a ref, so its the same rules if its under 12b league and intercounty, the ref got it wrong, most refs go through a game with some mistakes, like players and managers. The pundits on the Sunday game have the technology to review it and highlight it better, I seen it first time like the ref and called it.

The difference is the referee is looking at it differently on the day than someone sitting in his armchair. I doubt like some on here already have said you knew it was a rule.

It did even itself out if the mark was incorrect leading up to the Down goal.

Hopefully come Sunday against Donegal we won't be looking at mistakes by referees

Hound

But apart from incidental contact when playing the ball or blocking, it would be unusual to touch the keeper in the small rectangle without fouling him. So I would say in the vast majority of cases, refs are correct in calling fouls in such instances.I think forwards could be a lot cleverer in general in the way they tackle keepers, they often make it very easy for the ref to give the free out.

Cavan19

Quote from: Angelo on November 16, 2020, 09:52:15 AM
Quote from: Cavan19 on November 16, 2020, 09:43:00 AM

What was wrong the Down goal?

Thought the referee played advantage rightly there. He definitely should have given Reilly the advantage at the other end though.

He gave a mark to a down player when he caught the ball inside his own 45 and then landed over the sideline. It should have been a line ball to Cavan but instead Down went up the field and got the goal.