Ulster Championship 2020

Started by J70, October 26, 2020, 03:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2020, 06:31:55 PM
Quote from: grounded on November 15, 2020, 06:29:54 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on November 15, 2020, 06:22:10 PM
Quit going on about the penalty. Sure Down's goal should never have been a mark.

Yes, decisions balanced themselves out. Down have no one to blame but themselves. Fair play to Cavan on comeback.
        I'd love to see them win Ulster as they have a great spirit about them. But Donegal are too strong.

My point was with Angelo saying the umpires made the decision. They can't make that call, it's always the refs call, he blew the whistle and went in for confirmation, which is fine

I was not.

I was saying the referee went to this umpire to make the call. You were saying umpires were incapable of getting involved in a decision in giving a penalty. You gave that reason two weeks ago.

The referee blew his whistle, consulted his umpire and gave a penalty for a pickup off the ground. That's a fact.

The referee could have done the same in Ballybofey two weeks ago and if he did it would certainly have resulted in a penalty but you told us the referee can't consult his umpire for that purpose.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

Quote from: Estimator on November 15, 2020, 06:32:16 PM
Do we know what the ref spoke to the umpires about? Is it possible that he spotted the pick up and blew the whistle.. and  he was just checking the legality of another incident, before being sure that he could give the penalty? ie asking the umpire if the Cavan player came from behind the line or asking if the keeper was tackled in the small square?

He surely would have signaled for a penalty if he gave the penalty. He didn't, he blew his whistle and went to the referee.

tonto1888

Quote from: Angelo on November 15, 2020, 06:54:15 PM
Quit going on about the penalty. Sure Down's goal should never have been a mark.

Yes, decisions balanced themselves out. Down have no one to blame but themselves. Fair play to Cavan on comeback.
        I'd love to see them win Ulster as they have a great spirit about them. But Donegal are too strong.

My point was with Angelo saying the umpires made the decision. They can't make that call, it's always the refs call, he blew the whistle and went in for confirmation, which is fine

I was not.

I was saying the referee went to this umpire to make the call. You were saying umpires were incapable of getting involved in a decision in giving a penalty. You gave that reason two weeks ago.

The referee blew his whistle, consulted his umpire and gave a penalty for a pickup off the ground. That's a fact.

The referee could have done the same in Ballybofey two weeks ago and if he did it would certainly have resulted in a penalty but you told us the referee can't consult his umpire for that purpose.

The Donegal player didn't pick the ball up. Nor did he touch the ball on the ground with his hands

Angelo

Quote from: tonto1888 on November 15, 2020, 06:55:26 PM

I was not.

The Donegal player didn't pick the ball up. Nor did he touch the ball on the ground with his hands

He absolutely did play the ball with his hands along the ground. 1000% played it along the ground with his hand. Clear as day.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on November 15, 2020, 06:47:55 PM
Quote from: Westside on November 15, 2020, 06:40:22 PM
Quote from: hardstation on November 15, 2020, 06:37:26 PM
Quote from: Nanderson on November 15, 2020, 04:01:49 PM
4.34 To deliberately go outside the boundary lines to
gain an advantage except as provided in Rule

Thanks. But that's not what happened here. He didn't deliberately go outside the boundary lines, he went out in the normal course of play along the end line and came back and rejoined the play. Perfectly legal.
Did he? I thought he deliberately left the pitch and came around the back of the square to avoid entering it before the ball.

He stepped outside then came in.

Regardless there's no complaints about the game as the Down goal had a mistake in there also.

Game of two half's and the best team won, you can't stop momentum!!

Angelo you haven't a clue what was said, the ref blew made the call got confirmation that's it, the umpires don't make decisions or blow whistles.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Westside

Quote from: Angelo on November 15, 2020, 06:50:44 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on November 15, 2020, 04:49:34 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 15, 2020, 04:22:20 PM
Mickey Graham has done a wonderful job with Cavan when you look at the resources available to him. Losing a player like McVeetey and the absence of natural forwards in their team puts them at a significant advantage but he's got them to back to back Ulster finals by beating what I would regard as superior teams in Monghan x2, Armagh and Down along the way.

He's clearly fostered a good spirt in the camp, it's a shame he can't get all the best players in the county available to him. It's a long time since Cavan can say they have all their best men involved in a given season.

Monaghan an established Div 1 perhaps but Armagh last year and Down currently superior? i think not. Cavan winning 4 in a row U21 Ulster titles 2011 to 2014 is finally showing some consistency at senior championship level.

Definitely in terms of playing personnel I would say. Cavan are missing a hell of a lot of players who would be involved if they made themselves available. Guys like Givney, Moynagh, McVeetey immeadiately come to min and I'm sure the Cavan lads can fill in on the rest.

Givney is 31 and hasn't played for Cavan since 2016. Was anonymous in the Cavan Junior Championship this year. Moynagh and McVeety are really the only 2 lads missing worth talking about and they were both there last year.

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2020, 06:57:23 PM

Thanks. But that's not what happened here. He didn't deliberately go outside the boundary lines, he went out in the normal course of play along the end line and came back and rejoined the play. Perfectly legal.
Did he? I thought he deliberately left the pitch and came around the back of the square to avoid entering it before the ball.

Regardless there's no complaints about the game as the Down goal had a mistake in there also.

Angelo you haven't a clue what was said, the ref blew made the call got confirmation that's it, the umpires don't make decisions or blow whistles.

And neither do you.

He blew his whistle, went to the umpire and made his decision after consulting him.

You were saying umpires could not get involved in decisions to give penalties so it seems you're wrong or the referee was wrong today.

Westside

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2020, 06:57:23 PM

The rule is doing it deliberately to gain an advantage. That's not what happened. By your reckoning you can't rejoin the play when you step over end line because doing so would gain an advantage. Absolute nonsense. A perfectly legal passage of play.

Milltown Row2

Not a legal passage of play, it's in the rule book, however daft that may be it is. It allowed him to be behind the keeper to illegally play the ball.

And Angelo if the ref blew his whistle without knowing what he was doing then he was wrong.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

Quote from: Westside on November 15, 2020, 06:58:55 PM
Mickey Graham has done a wonderful job with Cavan when you look at the resources available to him. Losing a player like McVeetey and the absence of natural forwards in their team puts them at a significant advantage but he's got them to back to back Ulster finals by beating what I would regard as superior teams in Monghan x2, Armagh and Down along the way.

He's clearly fostered a good spirt in the camp, it's a shame he can't get all the best players in the county available to him. It's a long time since Cavan can say they have all their best men involved in a given season.

Monaghan an established Div 1 perhaps but Armagh last year and Down currently superior? i think not. Cavan winning 4 in a row U21 Ulster titles 2011 to 2014 is finally showing some consistency at senior championship level.

Definitely in terms of playing personnel I would say. Cavan are missing a hell of a lot of players who would be involved if they made themselves available. Guys like Givney, Moynagh, McVeetey immeadiately come to min and I'm sure the Cavan lads can fill in on the rest.

Givney is 31 and hasn't played for Cavan since 2016. Was anonymous in the Cavan Junior Championship this year. Moynagh and McVeety are really the only 2 lads missing worth talking about and they were both there last year.

There seems to be a big turnover in the squad from McGleenan, I was under the impression that it was mainly due to players making themselves unavailable. Here was the team from 2018 that played against Tyrone.

CAVAN: James Farrelly, Killian Brady, Conor Moynagh, Enda Flanagan, Ciaran Brady, Martin Reilly, Fergal Reilly, Dara McVeety, Killian Clarke, Oisin Kiernan, Gearoid McKiernan, Niall Murray, Conor Bradley, Cian Mackey, Sean Johnston.

Subs: Sean McCormack for Clarke (34 mins), Adrian Cole for Mackey (HT), Jason McLoughlin for Flanagan, Padraig Faulkner for Murray (both 44 mins), Caoimhin O'Reilly for Johnston (65), Mackey for K Brady (66).

Would be quite a few of those no longer involved? No.

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2020, 07:03:59 PM

And Angelo if the ref blew his whistle without knowing what he was doing then he was wrong.

That's exactly what he did.

tonto1888

Quote from: Angelo on November 15, 2020, 06:56:45 PM

I was not.

He absolutely did play the ball with his hands along the ground. 1000% played it along the ground with his hand. Clear as day.
The thought it hit his elbow, which wouldn't be a penalty. Granted I haven't replayed it as much as you maybe have done. Was it in the small square?

Angelo

Quote from: tonto1888 on November 15, 2020, 07:06:04 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 15, 2020, 06:56:45 PM

I was not.

The thought it hit his elbow, which wouldn't be a penalty. Granted I haven't replayed it as much as you maybe have done. Was it in the small square?

Wasn't his elbow, should have been a penalty.

Look it wasn't the losing of the game, Harte had a glorious goal chance in the same passage of play and blew it. But it's frustrating when you see two similar instances and referees doing two completely different things. The referee arrived at the right decision today regardless of how he did it. He didn't make the right decision in Ballybofey.

Westside

Quote from: Angelo on November 15, 2020, 07:04:20 PM
Quote from: Westside on November 15, 2020, 06:58:55 PM

There seems to be a big turnover in the squad from McGleenan, I was under the impression that it was mainly due to players making themselves unavailable. Here was the team from 2018 that played against Tyrone.

CAVAN: James Farrelly, Killian Brady, Conor Moynagh, Enda Flanagan, Ciaran Brady, Martin Reilly, Fergal Reilly, Dara McVeety, Killian Clarke, Oisin Kiernan, Gearoid McKiernan, Niall Murray, Conor Bradley, Cian Mackey, Sean Johnston.

Subs: Sean McCormack for Clarke (34 mins), Adrian Cole for Mackey (HT), Jason McLoughlin for Flanagan, Padraig Faulkner for Murray (both 44 mins), Caoimhin O'Reilly for Johnston (65), Mackey for K Brady (66).

Would be quite a few of those no longer involved? No.

Yes but who of the lads that were there would be making the Cavan team? Moynagh and McVeety only.

In Cavan, your ability goes up the longer you aren't on the team. We are missing 2 starting players, there are lots of lads in the county who could possibly be as good as some of the lads on the bench and a couple on the team but we are not being hampered by our inability to get players to commit.

Westside

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2020, 07:03:59 PM
Not a legal passage of play, it's in the rule book, however daft that may be it is. It allowed him to be behind the keeper to illegally play the ball.

It is in the rule book that it must be deliberately done to gain an advantage. Clearly not the case here.