Ulster Championship 2020

Started by J70, October 26, 2020, 03:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2020, 04:59:09 PM
Quote from: Itchy on November 15, 2020, 04:53:07 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 15, 2020, 03:20:23 PM
Down absolutely butchered that, they had a number of goal chances at the end of the first half, start of the second that would have killed off the game but didn't take them.

I would be furious if I was a Down player though at the referee, tackling was being refereed completely different at opposite ends of the pitch in that second half.

::) if only then Angelos prediction would  have come to pass and all would be well with the world. Its was a definite penalty and if you want to split hairs Downs goal came from an incorrectly awarded Mark and Cavan were pulled back from a goal chance when advantage should have been played.

I know as a supporter you want to believe it was a penalty, but technically it was a free out

Just watched it back there and amazingly in the run up to every single score there were technical fouls which the ref missed, too many steps, players pushing and pulling etc. The game should have actually been 0-0 to 0-0 and gone to extra time. Absolute scandal, ref was a disgrace.

befair

Quote from: befair on November 15, 2020, 05:20:01 PM
Can't believe we lost that; should have been even further ahead at half-time, Martin Reilly getting black card when we were 9 pts up. BTW I hope Martin Reilly gets an All-Star this year, he has been a wonderful player fro years. Mooney, Kerr, Johnson were running riot in the first 25 mins, disappeared after that. One of our subs could have called a mark from 25 yds out, played on and flopped it into keepers hands. Should have known not to get my hopes up

No complaints about the ref btw

Milltown Row2

I can see why the ref give it, I understand his view on it, real time and all that, but it was incorrect. It happens in all games, the ref players and managers make mistakes.

There would have been no complaints had he given a free out.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trileacman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2020, 05:32:08 PM
I can see why the ref give it, I understand his view on it, real time and all that, but it was incorrect. It happens in all games, the ref players and managers make mistakes.

sorry can you explain again what the foul was?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2020, 05:23:44 PM
Quote from: befair on November 15, 2020, 05:20:01 PM
Can't believe we lost that; should have been even further ahead at half-time, Martin Reilly getting black card when we were 9 pts up. BTW I hope Martin Reilly gets an All-Star this year, he has been a wonderful player fro years. Mooney, Kerr, Johnson were running riot in the first 25 mins, disappeared after that. One of our subs could have called a mark from 25 yds out, played on and flopped it into keepers hands. Should have known not to get my hopes up

Was baffling as to why he didn't call that mark..

Or slipped it over the top to the man through free on goal.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trileacman on November 15, 2020, 05:40:02 PM

It's been explained, a player can't come from behind end line to gain an advantage, the Cavan lad did that to push the ball from keepers hands, which lead to the Down lad picking ball off the ground
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Didn't see the game but must hve been some 2nd half by Cavan?
That's 2 big comebacks in 3 games.
Must be great team spirit and fitness.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mrdeeds

Quit going on about the penalty. Sure Down's goal should never have been a mark.

grounded

Quote from: mrdeeds on November 15, 2020, 06:22:10 PM
Quit going on about the penalty. Sure Down's goal should never have been a mark.

Yes, decisions balanced themselves out. Down have no one to blame but themselves. Fair play to Cavan on comeback.
        I'd love to see them win Ulster as they have a great spirit about them. But Donegal are too strong.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: grounded on November 15, 2020, 06:29:54 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on November 15, 2020, 06:22:10 PM

Yes, decisions balanced themselves out. Down have no one to blame but themselves. Fair play to Cavan on comeback.
        I'd love to see them win Ulster as they have a great spirit about them. But Donegal are too strong.

My point was with Angelo saying the umpires made the decision. They can't make that call, it's always the refs call, he blew the whistle and went in for confirmation, which is fine

Estimator

Do we know what the ref spoke to the umpires about? Is it possible that he spotted the pick up and blew the whistle.. and  he was just checking the legality of another incident, before being sure that he could give the penalty? ie asking the umpire if the Cavan player came from behind the line or asking if the keeper was tackled in the small square?
Ulster League Champions 2009

Westside

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2020, 05:43:41 PM
Quote from: trileacman on November 15, 2020, 05:40:02 PM

It's been explained, a player can't come from behind end line to gain an advantage, the Cavan lad did that to push the ball from keepers hands, which lead to the Down lad picking ball off the ground

Where is that in the rule book?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Estimator on November 15, 2020, 06:32:16 PM
Do we know what the ref spoke to the umpires about? Is it possible that he spotted the pick up and blew the whistle.. and  he was just checking the legality of another incident, before being sure that he could give the penalty? ie asking the umpire if the Cavan player came from behind the line or asking if the keeper was tackled in the small square?

We don't know, but what was clear was he was behind the keeper, so either the rule of coming in behind the line or square ball would do

Westside

Quote from: hardstation on November 15, 2020, 06:37:26 PM
Quote from: Nanderson on November 15, 2020, 04:01:49 PM
4.34 To deliberately go outside the boundary lines to
gain an advantage except as provided in Rule

Thanks. But that's not what happened here. He didn't deliberately go outside the boundary lines, he went out in the normal course of play along the end line and came back and rejoined the play. Perfectly legal.

Angelo

Quote from: Blowitupref on November 15, 2020, 04:49:34 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 15, 2020, 04:22:20 PM
Mickey Graham has done a wonderful job with Cavan when you look at the resources available to him. Losing a player like McVeetey and the absence of natural forwards in their team puts them at a significant advantage but he's got them to back to back Ulster finals by beating what I would regard as superior teams in Monghan x2, Armagh and Down along the way.

He's clearly fostered a good spirt in the camp, it's a shame he can't get all the best players in the county available to him. It's a long time since Cavan can say they have all their best men involved in a given season.

Monaghan an established Div 1 perhaps but Armagh last year and Down currently superior? i think not. Cavan winning 4 in a row U21 Ulster titles 2011 to 2014 is finally showing some consistency at senior championship level.

Definitely in terms of playing personnel I would say. Cavan are missing a hell of a lot of players who would be involved if they made themselves available. Guys like Givney, Moynagh, McVeetey immeadiately come to min and I'm sure the Cavan lads can fill in on the rest.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL