Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: marty34 on November 07, 2020, 04:22:22 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 07, 2020, 03:04:10 PM
Quote from: marty34 on November 07, 2020, 02:57:07 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 07, 2020, 02:33:37 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on November 07, 2020, 02:29:35 PM
Antrim wasteful with chances.

That's true and we lack the physically of breaking tackles, which is evident in most parts of this game

Not really that - too many wides.

You can have all the S & C you want but if you can't kick the ball, under pressure or not, over the bar then you're done for.

Simple as.

The strength and conditioning allows you to have the strength to kick a score, it's not all about breaking tackles, it's having the strength and conditioning to shoot or lay off the best ball.

But yes it's an area for any team to improve on

What?

Are you saying you need S & C to kick a ball over the bar from 30 yards?

I've heard it all now.
Well if you're fucked after breaking a tackle or running at a team and not have the composure to kick it over the bar then you're not fit enough, kicking a ball over the bar is easier when you are fit and have the strength in your legs, not sure how difficult that is to understand
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Itchy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 07, 2020, 03:14:56 PM
Quote from: Itchy on November 07, 2020, 03:06:03 PM
Really sloppy performance from Cavan and if Antrim had a bit more quality they couldve won. I thought the ref was good. Black cards were all correct bar maybe Oisin Kiernans which he had little chance to get out of the way. Just glad to get over that game and the nature of win will certainly suck away expectations of the cavan support.

It was a impossible call on that black card, the problem was it was a foul and a yellow but the call is a black due to taking him out..

Big call from ref and I think bar that one slight push on Paddy Gallagher on goal I thought he was excellent.

Cavan don't seem to be the team that plays well with the favourites tag so they'll put this behind them and set themselves up for the next game.

Would've been a very soft penalty if it was gjven. Overall Cavan had just a bit more quality and antrim made life very difficult for us.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Itchy on November 07, 2020, 05:23:28 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 07, 2020, 03:14:56 PM
Really sloppy performance from Cavan and if Antrim had a bit more quality they couldve won. I thought the ref was good. Black cards were all correct bar maybe Oisin Kiernans which he had little chance to get out of the way. Just glad to get over that game and the nature of win will certainly suck away expectations of the cavan support.

It was a impossible call on that black card, the problem was it was a foul and a yellow but the call is a black due to taking him out..

Big call from ref and I think bar that one slight push on Paddy Gallagher on goal I thought he was excellent.

Cavan don't seem to be the team that plays well with the favourites tag so they'll put this behind them and set themselves up for the next game.

Would've been a very soft penalty if it was gjven. Overall Cavan had just a bit more quality and antrim made life very difficult for us.

Yes soft, but just enough to reduce the shot, VAR was needed  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Seaney

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Seaney on November 07, 2020, 06:08:15 PM
See you do love them.

If there was a facepalm emoji here, I'd use it for you. Stalker

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 07, 2020, 05:09:06 PM
Quote from: marty34 on November 07, 2020, 04:22:22 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 07, 2020, 03:04:10 PM
Quote from: marty34 on November 07, 2020, 02:57:07 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 07, 2020, 02:33:37 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on November 07, 2020, 02:29:35 PM
Antrim wasteful with chances.

That's true and we lack the physically of breaking tackles, which is evident in most parts of this game

Not really that - too many wides.

You can have all the S & C you want but if you can't kick the ball, under pressure or not, over the bar then you're done for.

Simple as.

The strength and conditioning allows you to have the strength to kick a score, it's not all about breaking tackles, it's having the strength and conditioning to shoot or lay off the best ball.

But yes it's an area for any team to improve on

What?

Are you saying you need S & C to kick a ball over the bar from 30 yards?

I've heard it all now.
Well if you're fucked after breaking a tackle or running at a team and not have the composure to kick it over the bar then you're not fit enough, kicking a ball over the bar is easier when you are fit and have the strength in your legs, not sure how difficult that is to understand

Omg.

Maybe that's why Antrim are in the place they're in - not enough practice on the basics of kicking the ball over the bar.

You see they got into the positions to kick it over the bar but the kicking was the problem...not the S&C.

Westside

Disagree about the ref, Gunner's was a yellow card. Black card is for cynical play. It wasnt designed for a player swinging another player around to the ground during a tussle in a break in play. Stupid by Gunner, but not a black.

As for Oisin Kiernan, where was he meant to go? Very harsh black.

Cavan had nothing to gain and everything to lose from that game. Antrim made it very hard for us and for a long time were extremely economical up front. Cavan arent good enough to put poor teams away. But got it done that's the main thing.

armaghniac

Cavan were more economical than Antrim, as the disposition of their inhabitants would suggest.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Westside

Quote from: hardstation on November 07, 2020, 11:14:57 PM
Quote from: Westside on November 07, 2020, 11:03:31 PM

Disagree about the ref, Gunner's was a yellow card. Black card is for cynical play. It wasnt designed for a player swinging another player around to the ground during a tussle in a break in play. Stupid by Gunner, but not a black.

Cavan had nothing to gain and everything to lose from that game. Antrim made it very hard for us and for a long time were extremely economical up front. Cavan arent good enough to put poor teams away. But got it done that's the main thing.
I didn't see the game but have heard and read a number of reports on it. All of them made reference to Antrim being the exact opposite of "extremely economical up front". Interested how your view differs.
Have it recorded. Probably won't watch it back.

I said for a long time Antrim were economical up front. They made the most out of a small number of attacks in the first half. Scored 6 times from 8 shots is something like that. Cavan by comparison scored 5 times from probably 12 shots on goal. That difference kept Antrim in the game.

In the second half Antrim kicked a load of wides and missed a goal opportunity and the game drifted away slowly. I

Ethan Tremblay

I thought Antrim had control more in the second half, and definitely seemed to have more possession, but some of their decision making was poor and their shooting wasn't up to scratch either, but definitely progressive and lots of positive signs there.  Some work on the final third of the pitch and Antrim will be in a good place next year.   

Cavan seemed that bit more experienced and had taken the majority of their chances when it mattered most.  McKiernans catch in midfield, pass, support play and score was great to watch.  Simple, direct and a great score. 

For Cavan however, Antrim were very wasteful and they cannot afford to give their next round opponents the same level of possession on the ball, or they'll have an early winter  ;)
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Itchy

Well we are lucky the ref didn't give him a yellow as he already had one so we got a 10 minute sin bin instead of 35 mins with 14 men. Gunner brings great physicality but also great stupidity to the team. To be on a yellow and to do that us just off the wall stupid. And its not like we haven't been here before is it?

I fancy Fermanagh today,  they are waiting in the long grass for Down.

Nanderson

Quote from: Itchy on November 08, 2020, 09:44:09 AM

Well we are lucky the ref didn't give him a yellow as he already had one so we got a 10 minute sin bin instead of 35 mins with 14 men. Gunner brings great physicality but also great stupidity to the team. To be on a yellow and to do that us just off the wall stupid. And its not like we haven't been here before is it?

Is a yellow and a black card not a red anyway or has that changed?

FermGael

Funny game today .
Not a lot of chat about it .
Fermanagh missing 8 players from last year's starting team .
Down have won promotion from division 3 but have absentees of their own.
This won't be pretty , plenty of men behind the ball but I think Fermanagh could just shade it.  Midfield will be crucial and I think we hold the upper hand there.
Tomas Corrigan has shown definite signs that he is getting back to himself and if he can hit 6 or 7 points I think we will sneak it by a point or two
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Ed Hardy

Quote from: FermGael on November 08, 2020, 11:09:02 AM
Funny game today .
Not a lot of chat about it .
Fermanagh missing 8 players from last year's starting team .
Down have won promotion from division 3 but have absentees of their own.
This won't be pretty , plenty of men behind the ball but I think Fermanagh could just shade it.  Midfield will be crucial and I think we hold the upper hand there.
Tomas Corrigan has shown definite signs that he is getting back to himself and if he can hit 6 or 7 points I think we will sneak it by a point or two

Its the fermanagh midfielder im most concerned about, they seem very strong there,  and its been a  major problem for Down this past few years lack of ability to win their own kick outs or even put pressure on opponents kick outs. However that said I hate conceding the opposition kicksout, but I think Down will do just that today.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Nanderson on November 08, 2020, 10:33:37 AM
Quote from: Itchy on November 08, 2020, 09:44:09 AM

Is a yellow and a black card not a red anyway or has that changed?

Yeah, I'm not sure he was yellow carded though in first place