Ulster Championship 2020

Started by J70, October 26, 2020, 03:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: Nanderson on November 01, 2020, 03:32:10 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 01, 2020, 03:27:46 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 01, 2020, 03:25:17 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 01, 2020, 03:17:27 PM
Murphy spent the entire second half shouting at McQuillan telling him what to do and McQuillan rode Tyrone. He got soft free after soft free after soft free. Murphy shouting at him all game yet he pulls in two frees for Donegal into the scoring range. It was madness, a pathetic refereeing performance.

Umpire has to call that penalty as well when McMenamin handles it on the ground, he's looking right at it.

Umpire can't call penalty, so stop talking about it. Would have been a very harsh one to give, wasn't deliberate and conditions attributed to the touch.

Can you back that up? They can notify the referee of what they have seen.
2.1 POWERS OF UMPIRES
The Umpires shall decide if a score is made, or
if the ball has crossed the endline for a wide, or
for a 45m or 65m free, subject to Rule 1.1 (v)
above.
2.2 DUTIES OF UMPIRES
(i) The Umpires shall signal their decisions as
follows:
(a) A 45m free in Football or a 65m free in
Hurling by raising an arm upright, and then
pointing directly infield, at the place where
the ball passed over the endline.
(b) A wide by crossing both arms above the
head.
(c) A score by raising a green flag for a goal
or a white flag for a point, in front of the
scoring space.
(d) A decision to disallow a score by crossing
the flags at the centre of the scoring space.
(ii) The Umpires shall bring to the notice of
the referee, during a break in play, any
instances of foul play in particular, rough or
dangerous play, striking, hitting, or kicking, or
unauthorised incursions onto the field of play,
which have not been noticed by the Referee.

Umpires have no power to call fouls in a game

Fair enough but in decisions as clearcut as that it's fairly ridiculous that umpires can't assist the referee.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Gold

Quote from: tyroneman on November 01, 2020, 03:23:31 PM
Harte anonymous again, but McCurry the man hooked. Typical.

Unbelievable call. I'd never take McCurry off. He was lethal in 1st half, hadn't seen the ball for 1st 15 of 2nd half but not his fault

Likewise taking Canavan off...why?!

Absolute lottery in that weather to be fair.

The 2x sunbed boys shooting wides repeatedly didn't help, ego getting in the way of passing to the scorers.

That dive and holding face and getting an ice pack tio the hesd after a clip to back of head was stomach churning

Disappointed not to be seeing Canavan,  McCurry,  Bradley and McKenna again this year though

Donegal were helped massively by Tyrone being indisciplined...the 2 frees brought forward were criminal
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

tonto1888

As a neutral, well as neutral as I could be, I was very surprised that both McCurry and Canavan were taken off.

Angelo

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on November 01, 2020, 03:46:09 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 01, 2020, 03:41:08 PM
Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on November 01, 2020, 03:37:13 PM
Quote from: screenexile on November 01, 2020, 03:12:48 PM
Donegal the better team it would have been comfortable only for the freak goal fair play to them they'll be a handful for anyone!

Not sure if this is a wind up or are you entirely blinded by bias but neither side was ever comfortable in that game and to suggest such isn't credible.

Anyway, it was a great battle in terrible conditions and both teams deserve a lot of credit. Very small margins in the end and ultimately Donegal's decision taking and disciple was that bit better and that got them across the line. Their leaders were to the fore and the rest of the team followed their example. The score to put them 2 up at the end was a great example, a player standing up and taking responsibility.

For Tyrone the likes of Donnelly and Harte were too peripheral, two hugely talented players that Mickey has generally struggled to deploy effectively over the years. And similarly, other players too often took the wrong option in promising positions. Time for a change in Tyrone.

Donegal deserved it, just, and all the best to them in the weeks ahead.

You can excuse Donnelly today as he was tasked with doing a number on Murphy which he did well so it was naturally going to take away from his game but Peter Harte was so disappointing. He scored a point in the second half when they goal was really on and I'd forgotten he was on the pitch until that point.

Look, conditions today were appalling so you've got to give some leeway but it was yet another very disappointing big day from Harte. When you take McCurry off when he was playing so well.......questions have to be asked. I don't think it's to do with favouritism for Peter Harte, he has the ability so that's why you leave him on but he really needs to give more in big games. McKenna was very poor and was also left on. But McCurry and Kennedy really should not have been taken off today.

I wasn't having a go at Donnelly, I was questioning the decision to deploy him there. We lost his talent and influence in the area of the field where he is at his most effective. And Murphy still had big impact on the game. It was a poor decision by the management.

I'd agree on Donnelly. You look at our main men - Donnelly, Harte, McKenna - we didn't get anything really from them today. The conditions have to be factored in and you can certainly give McKenna a pass. Harte is the one that deserves the most criticism, he just didn't get going when we needed someone. McCurry and Kennedy were probably our best players at the point they were taken off. I thought McNamee and Burns had terrific games too and Meyler did a very good job on McHugh.

I don't think you can criticise any of them for effort but there were just too many basic mistakes. Look next year has been the obvious aim anyway, not many of us expected McKenna to make the instant impact he did, a fully fit McShane, a few more returning faces and some more additional talent in the mix and we're well set.

Angelo

Quote from: tonto1888 on November 01, 2020, 03:49:13 PM
As a neutral, well as neutral as I could be, I was very surprised that both McCurry and Canavan were taken off.

Canavan I could more understand, it was later on and he had been pretty quiet bar the scores though you can make the point that he is capable of that. He's also younger and maybe not as well set for it.

McCurry though was instrumental for Tyrone in the first half, 3 scores, showing well and loads of the play coming through him - it was mental to haul him off.

Kennedy too was competing really well in the middle, almost by himself.

tonto1888

Quote from: Angelo on November 01, 2020, 03:53:24 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on November 01, 2020, 03:49:13 PM

Canavan I could more understand, it was later on and he had been pretty quiet bar the scores though you can make the point that he is capable of that. He's also younger and maybe not as well set for it.

McCurry though was instrumental for Tyrone in the first half, 3 scores, showing well and loads of the play coming through him - it was mental to haul him off.

Kennedy too was competing really well in the middle, almost by himself.

I was saying to my brother that the thought of McCurry up against our defence was giving me the fear. He's a good player

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tyrone08 on November 01, 2020, 03:45:09 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 01, 2020, 03:38:10 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on November 01, 2020, 03:29:28 PM
Murphy spent the entire second half shouting at McQuillan telling him what to do and McQuillan rode Tyrone. He got soft free after soft free after soft free. Murphy shouting at him all game yet he pulls in two frees for Donegal into the scoring range. It was madness, a pathetic refereeing performance.

Umpire has to call that penalty as well when McMenamin handles it on the ground, he's looking right at it.

Umpire can't call penalty, so stop talking about it. Would have been a very harsh one to give, wasn't deliberate and conditions attributed to the touch.

Can people please read the rules before commenting. It doesn't have to be deliberate to be called. Any touch in the ground is an offence. Also the umpire can call it to the refs attention for him to award the penalty. Its literally their job.

Apparently today we learnt than undeliberate handle of the ball on the ground isn't a free and slaps to the head are a yellow card.

Take your beating and move on.. embarrassing

Stupid comment. The beating has already been give. The whole point of these forums is to discuss incidents and highlight areas after the match has happened. Otherwise after the match their would be no discussions at all or suggestions in how to improve for the future.

If you don't want to discuss it then I suggest you leave the forum. As an antrim man I expect you are well used to beatings.

Which was a stupid comment? The one about the umpires ? Have you read the rules yet?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tyrone08

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 01, 2020, 03:59:15 PM

Can people please read the rules before commenting. It doesn't have to be deliberate to be called. Any touch in the ground is an offence. Also the umpire can call it to the refs attention for him to award the penalty. Its literally their job.

Apparently today we learnt than undeliberate handle of the ball on the ground isn't a free and slaps to the head are a yellow card.

Stupid comment. The beating has already been give. The whole point of these forums is to discuss incidents and highlight areas after the match has happened. Otherwise after the match their would be no discussions at all or suggestions in how to improve for the future.

If you don't want to discuss it then I suggest you leave the forum. As an antrim man I expect you are well used to beatings.

Which was a stupid comment? The one about the umpires ? Have you read the rules yet?

Strange that oisin and Peter both indicated that the umpire should have called it a penalty. Sure apparently you can change the rules on the pitch like Mcquillan did.

Also as per the rule

The umpire has the power to bring to the attention of the referee, during a break in play, any instances of foul play or incursions onto the field of play which have not been noticed by the referee

So the umpire could have called the ref at the next break in play and said a penalty occurred as the ball was touched on the ground. That's within the rules.

StephenC

Great win for Donegal. It was a real day for grit and slogging, and fair play to both teams for the intensity and skill that they brought. The amount of turnovers by both sides was unreal. It wouldn't have been an injustice if Tyrone had won - it was that close.

Brennan should have got red - we were very lucky that he got away with it.
Tyrone will rue the goal chances in the last 10 min - especially Peter Hartes one.
Star men kept very quiet on both sides. That's as quiet as I've ever seen Ryan McHugh.
Our bench did well - Gallen, McGrath and McClean all contributed.
Thought our forwards made the difference - just a bit more composed and powerful than Tyrones.
The amount of times we needlesssly brought the ball into contact was infuriating - P. Brennan and McGonigle particularly guilty.
McMenamin's forearm touched the ball all right - strictly speaking a penalty but brilliant scramble defending.
Was surprised by the lack of offensive marks in the game.
Tyrone's discipline very costly - those 2 frees were huge.
Considering we had no McBrearty and lost Neil McGee at half-time, it was a great team performance.

Nanderson

Quote from: tyrone08 on November 01, 2020, 04:05:22 PM

Strange that oisin and Peter both indicated that the umpire should have called it a penalty. Sure apparently you can change the rules on the pitch like Mcquillan did.

Also as per the rule

The umpire has the power to bring to the attention of the referee, during a break in play, any instances of foul play or incursions onto the field of play which have not been noticed by the referee

So the umpire could have called the ref at the next break in play and said a penalty occurred as the ball was touched on the ground. That's within the rules.
No. Foul play is not the same as calling technical fouls.

tyrone08

Quote from: Nanderson on November 01, 2020, 04:09:01 PM

Also as per the rule

No. Foul play is not the same as calling technical fouls.
Fair comment, never thougtb about that. Tyrone rode Donegal a whole lot closer than I ever thought they would so I suppose those calls really stick out as they were the winning of the game.

Milltown Row2

Also as per the rule

Osin and peter to be fair to them are not referees, and their interpretation of the rules shows their lack of knowledge on that, the referee blows for the fouls not linesmen or umpires, now can you accept that part?

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thewobbler

Isn't it an awful f**king shame that Rory Gallagher still gets work?

BennyCake

Quote from: thewobbler on November 01, 2020, 04:43:21 PM
Isn't it an awful f**king shame that Rory Gallagher still gets work?

What do you mean 'work'? Are you implying he's being paid?

Hound

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on November 01, 2020, 03:19:49 PM
Fair dues to both teams. A great game in terrible conditions.
+1

Pity Tyrone didn't just take their points in injury time, instead of lobbing a heap of balls in. Pretty sure they would have got the draw and we all could have had an extra 20 minutes of it. Not that Donegal were undeserving winners.