Ulster Championship 2020

Started by J70, October 26, 2020, 03:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LCohen

Quote from: delgany on October 27, 2020, 11:24:21 PM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2020/1027/1174141-dungarvan-set-to-lose-title-over-covid-19-breach/

That is the way it has to be. Deliberately avoiding testing needs to be punished heavily also. A clear statement to that effect before the weekend would be wise

The Trap

Wonder did any other teams play players in finals who should have been isolating?

LCohen

Quote from: The Trap on October 27, 2020, 11:30:19 PM
Wonder did any other teams play players in finals who should have been isolating?

Well on another thread you are not wondering.

If you have something to say, say it

Main Street

Quote from: J70 on October 27, 2020, 11:00:46 PM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on October 27, 2020, 09:01:16 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on October 27, 2020, 08:13:57 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on October 27, 2020, 08:04:05 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on October 27, 2020, 06:07:21 PM
Tyrone player positive for COVID

https://www.bbc.com/sport/gaelic-games/54707189

Presumably this is a squad member who wasn't involved in any way in Sunday past's squad?

Is this a further player or the same player from the weekend?

If Tyrone are forced to forfeit because of a Covid case, then the Championship should be put on hold.

I agree.

It would completely devalue it.
Completely devalue? That's a tad overreactive. Think of it as a horse race over fences  and one of the outsiders the 6th favorite is raring to go, full of beans, chest pumping and full of bravado, then refuses at the first fence. Soon forgotten about.

Hound

Quote from: Main Street on October 28, 2020, 08:37:52 AM
Quote from: J70 on October 27, 2020, 11:00:46 PM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on October 27, 2020, 09:01:16 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on October 27, 2020, 08:13:57 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on October 27, 2020, 08:04:05 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on October 27, 2020, 06:07:21 PM
Tyrone player positive for COVID

https://www.bbc.com/sport/gaelic-games/54707189

Presumably this is a squad member who wasn't involved in any way in Sunday past's squad?

Is this a further player or the same player from the weekend?

If Tyrone are forced to forfeit because of a Covid case, then the Championship should be put on hold.

I agree.

It would completely devalue it.
Completely devalue? That's a tad overreactive. Think of it as a horse race over fences  and one of the outsiders the 6th favorite is raring to go, full of beans, chest pumping and full of bravado, then refuses at the first fence. Soon forgotten about.
Absolutely

Has to be play or concede.

Everyone should be tested and positive players removed.
Training needs to be done in such a way that all players are casual contacts and not close contacts.
Counties with bigger picks will find it easier to replace players - same as any year with injuries - but more pronounced if you need to replace 5 or 6 or more.
Counties with lower Covid infection rates will be less likely to have players test positive, but them are the breaks.
It's inevitable that at least one county will be decimated by positive results, that will be very disappointing, but no reason to cancel the whole show.
There are going to be highs and lows, great highs and lows, if they can get this championship done as planned. And imagine if Dublin slip up how many counties will think, this could be our best opportunity
Devalued championship? It may be a different championship, but especially if someone other than Dublin or Kerry win it, when Sam Maguire is lifted I doubt there'll be many talking about a devalued championship.

Seaney

If players stuck to their positions like in the olden days they would be spaced out, instead of have 29 in one half of the field.  ;D

Main Street

Quote from: Seaney on October 28, 2020, 02:14:57 PM
If players stuck to their positions like in the olden days they would be spaced out, instead of have 29 in one half of the field.  ;D
Then a player wouldn't have to give up the fags.

J70

I may be showing my ignorance here, but how is young Canavan?

Does he have the makings of a player in the same league as his father?

Taylor

Quote from: J70 on October 28, 2020, 04:57:05 PM

He is exceptional J70.

Not sure if he is at the level of the Da but there is masses of potential there.

His development will depend on how we play - we have been known to stifle a number of forwards in recent years

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Taylor on October 28, 2020, 05:08:45 PM

He is exceptional J70.

Not sure if he is at the level of the Da but there is masses of potential there.

His development will depend on how we play - we have been known to stifle a number of forwards in recent years

Refereed him last year in a schools finalsl game, decent player and was being picked on by the opposition a lot! But he shrugged it off and played really well, would need to strengthen up a bit, height wise (like myself) is against him, which in the modern game he'd need to have speed and strength to get through it.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 28, 2020, 06:06:42 PM

He is exceptional J70.

Refereed him last year in a schools finalsl game, decent player and was being picked on by the opposition a lot! But he shrugged it off and played really well, would need to strengthen up a bit, height wise (like myself) is against him, which in the modern game he'd need to have speed and strength to get through it.

I think that's lazy analysis - just because he's small he'll not be fit for it at senior level.

Just ask Peter.

square_ball

He is exceptional J70.

Are you sure it was Darragh? There's another son Ruairi who was playing for St Ciaran's last year in a final as far as I know.

Darragh is an exceptional talent. Obviously there'll be comparisons with his Da but he'll be an excellent player in his own right.

Angelo

Canavan has been working on the building site the last year or so hasn't he?

Looks like he has bulked up a bit. Think he's probably better coming off the bench at this stage, be nice to have Bradley available at the weekend but looks doubtful.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Milltown Row2

Quote from: marty34 on October 28, 2020, 06:42:42 PM

He is exceptional J70.

I think that's lazy analysis - just because he's small he'll not be fit for it at senior level.

Just ask Peter.

Not lazy just an observation but obviously I was speaking about the wrong one, seems it was the younger. Size unfortunately in the modern game is important. Though if he has the talent of his da he'll be fine
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea