Ulster Championship 2020

Started by J70, October 26, 2020, 03:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Boone

It'll be Donegal's 6th Ulster in 10 years. They have ruled the roost in Ulster and would have to be thinking more of national honours. 

imtommygunn

No ulster team is close to national honours.

Though this is maybe one year dublin could be caught on the hop but I would doubt it. Kerry I think have moved to a level above the ulster teams too.

imtommygunn

You could be right but it's still Dublin's to lose. Kerry when they played second half against Tyrone were very good and I just think that the all irelands last year will maybe have brought them on.

I still think that "business end" Tyrone have a bit more about them than even Donegal. Monaghan floated about like Donegal did for years but when it came down to actual knockout games Tyrone always came out on top. Harte always has them peaking at the knockout. Ulster different this year though so who knows but it's far from a given that Donegal will beat Tyrone. It'll be interesting to see if Tyrone can plan for shutting down Murphy.

Angelo

Dublin are definitely vulnerable this year.

No packed Croke Park and the influence of The Hill.
New manager, no continuity in the league - Farrell was trying players out in the league so he has no settled team.
No McCaffrey
Winter football conditions may possibly suit other teams.

If Dublin are to be caught, this is the best possible example and I think with the format of this Championship Kerry have the best possible Championship.

Cork might not be a pushover but they should win Ulster handy. They then face the Connacht champions, Galway looked good early in the league but look a shadow of that side now and are missing key players. Mayo are in transition and while Roscommon are game and could win Connacht they are a limited side who Kerry will beat in their sleep.

I would be 80% certain Kerry will be in an All Ireland final this year, most likely against Dublin but I think Donegal are looking good if they can keep their main men fit and they deliver.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

clarshack

I assume these games can go to penalties?

johnnycool

Quote from: clarshack on October 27, 2020, 10:53:06 AM
I assume these games can go to penalties?

I think all championship games require a winner on the day this year, so extra time then penalties I'd have thought

J70

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 27, 2020, 09:01:21 AM
I felt Donegal didnt even come out of second gear against Tyrone, yes Tyrone were doing maybe some shadow boxing also but they needed the wins to secure safety in Div1..

Once Donegal develop a lead, its very hard to win ball back and get a score before they get another one, Murphy was picking up balls in his fullback line and popping up a minute or so later fighting for the ball at fullforward.

15/8 is the best price you'll get on that list

Tyrone did it just two years ago though. We were on top in that Super 8 qualifier, still up four points going into the last 15, but the subs Harte sent on, particularly the likes of Lee Brennan, swung the game and they finished very strongly to end up winning by seven points thanks to a couple of late goals.

Not sure where I see the optimism on this thread for Donegal. Yes, if we get past Tyrone, I'd have us favourites for Ulster, but this weekend's game is 50/50. If we knew McBrearty was going to be fully fit and back to full sharpness, that would be one thing, but all we have to go on is two league games, one of which was a fairly tight shadow-boxing match between the two.

imtommygunn

It's a lot of tyrone ones playing their chances down... I'd say it's close to a 50-50 game.

Angelo

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 27, 2020, 11:40:10 AM
It's a lot of tyrone ones playing their chances down... I'd say it's close to a 50-50 game.

Not really.

Donegal have done a number on us in the last two meetings and look to be at close to full strength. McBrearty being the only definite starter not involved against Tyrone who in contrast are likely to be without 7/8 players who would have featured against Donegal if available (Brennan, Hampsey, McShane, R Donnelly, Bradley, Cassidy, M O'Neill).

It would be 50-50 if both teams are at full tilt but Tyrone are down a number of key men and good options off the bench.

I want to see an improvement on the line next weekend, Donegal had our number tactically in the last two meetings. Our kickouts have been attacked as a result we have fared really badly around the middle of the field. We have not shown the patience or craft to breakdown Donegal's mass defence. So we need to see something new.

The game against Mayo should bring Tyrone on as they are a bit more battle hardened and got a tough game with a real competitive edge in which is important in a condensed Championship like this.

The bookies have it Donegal 8/13 and Tyrone 7/4 which I think is right.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

imtommygunn

They've tended to do a number in the ulster championship though which hasn't been knockout whereas this is.

A lot of different variables here from the standard year I guess so hard to say.

McKenna and / or Canavan should give you something different. It should be interesting to see how McKenna shows u in championship.

I would have Donegal as slight favourites but not as much as the bookies say.

Taylor

If we were not missing any players I would say we would be favourites.

The strength of your squad is going to be vital in this condensed season - we dont have that quality.

Betting is correct as it is now

Ethan Tremblay

Quote from: LCohen on October 26, 2020, 04:29:07 PM
Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on October 26, 2020, 04:06:03 PM
For the love of fcuk, please nobody blame results on covid "we would have won only we were missing players with covid" everyone is in the same boat, and its down to pot luck whether players get away without it. 

Monaghan (it should be closer than the league standing would suggest)

Armagh (Armagh to be cruising, Derry to cop on the defence is suspect and to run them close in the end, me to have a mini heart attack as is the norm with Armagh matches these days)

Down (should be routine, Fermanagh are in a bad place)
Donegal/Tyrone too hard to call and will come down to who makes the least mistakes on the day. 

Donegal/Tyrone to win Ulster

Everybody might not be in the same boat though

I think they are to be honest.  Most teams have the risk of getting decimated with covid dropouts on a week to week basis.  A team at full strength may be unfortunate to have several key players out of action the week after. 

Hopefully players be extra careful over the next month so it doesn't come to that.
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

LCohen

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on October 27, 2020, 12:02:39 PM
Quote from: LCohen on October 26, 2020, 04:29:07 PM
Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on October 26, 2020, 04:06:03 PM
For the love of fcuk, please nobody blame results on covid "we would have won only we were missing players with covid" everyone is in the same boat, and its down to pot luck whether players get away without it. 

Monaghan (it should be closer than the league standing would suggest)

Armagh (Armagh to be cruising, Derry to cop on the defence is suspect and to run them close in the end, me to have a mini heart attack as is the norm with Armagh matches these days)

Down (should be routine, Fermanagh are in a bad place)
Donegal/Tyrone too hard to call and will come down to who makes the least mistakes on the day. 

Donegal/Tyrone to win Ulster

Everybody might not be in the same boat though

I think they are to be honest.  Most teams have the risk of getting decimated with covid dropouts on a week to week basis.  A team at full strength may be unfortunate to have several key players out of action the week after. 

Hopefully players be extra careful over the next month so it doesn't come to that.

Respectfully that is complete nonsense.

Your original point was that nobody should complain that "we would have won only we were missing players with covid" as everyone is in the same boat. It is simply not the case that a team that is missing 20 players is in the same boat as a team that could have been missing 20 players. It simply isn't.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that or anything like it

Dire Ear

Murphy is the key,  stop him and Tyrone have a better chance.
Donegal still strong favs

lenny

Quote from: Dire Ear on October 27, 2020, 12:22:07 PM
Murphy is the key,  stop him and Tyrone have a better chance.
Donegal still strong favs

Fancy Tyrone for this one. That tough game v Mayo was perfect preparation and winning should give them the confidence.