Mayo v Galway, MacHale Park, Sunday 13th May 4pm

Started by From the Bunker, April 01, 2018, 08:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Quote from: Cunny Funt on April 13, 2018, 03:15:16 PM
Quote from: guy crouchback on April 13, 2018, 03:01:49 PM
i dont know if this has been mentioned already but the capacity of mc hale park for this game will be 28,000. well below what the ground can comfortably hold.
this will put a bit of pressure on tickets.

21,784 at the Mayo v Galway game in 2016 and 22,046 at the meeting last year. Its a hyped up game but i think the attendance this year will be less than 28,000

You would expect a lot more Galway interest this year than in 2016, plus it was a shitty day weather-wise in 2016.
I would say it will definitely be threatening the 28k mark - and I predict people complaining "how the fck is that a sellout!?" when they see all the space on the concrete slabs :)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Tubberman on April 13, 2018, 03:32:08 PM
i dont know if this has been mentioned already but the capacity of mc hale park for this game will be 28,000. well below what the ground can comfortably hold.

21,784 at the Mayo v Galway game in 2016 and 22,046 at the meeting last year. Its a hyped up game but i think the attendance this year will be less than 28,000

You would expect a lot more Galway interest this year than in 2016, plus it was a shitty day weather-wise in 2016.
I would say it will definitely be threatening the 28k mark - and I predict people complaining "how the fck is that a sellout!?" when they see all the space on the concrete slabs :)

2016 was a Saturday night too and probably only about 1000 of us supporting Galway, would imagine there'll be a few more from Galway this time around and reckon a few more from Mayo too. I'd say a few neutrals might make the trip up too.

Cunny Funt

Was at the 2016 game it had light drizzle early on and was a mild enough night. I do expect more Galway supporters to travel which is why about 6,000 more should be at this game than 2016.

Tubberman

Quote from: Cunny Funt on April 13, 2018, 03:41:07 PM

Was at the 2016 game it had light drizzle early on and was a mild enough night. I do expect more Galway supporters to travel which is why about 6,000 more should be at this game than 2016.

With 216 seats to spare! :)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Blowitupref

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 13, 2018, 03:40:32 PM

2016 was a Saturday night too and probably only about 1000 of us supporting Galway, would imagine there'll be a few more from Galway this time around and reckon a few more from Mayo too. I'd say a few neutrals might make the trip up too.
The Connacht Junior final is on before the Mayo v Galway senior game that might bring a few extra supporters from Sligo,Leitrim or Roscommon if they reach the final of that competition.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Farrandeelin

Quote from: seafoid on April 13, 2018, 02:31:56 PM
12 pages about a match but nothing about the match.

What did one expect when the thread was started so far out from the game itself? Especially when you consider the 'grounds' shite that gets spewed every year by everyone (from Roscommon anyway) - claiming theirs is the best etc. I am truly sick of it at this stage.

Also there's not much to say about the match as of yet either.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mayoman dan

Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 12, 2018, 04:54:25 PM
Quote from: Syferus on April 12, 2018, 02:47:23 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on April 12, 2018, 02:03:33 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on April 11, 2018, 04:11:16 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on April 11, 2018, 09:53:51 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on April 11, 2018, 09:48:54 AM
Very good performances in his debut season in 2010 v Sligo and Longford. A good game v Tyrone in 13 . Mostly negative contributions for the rest of his time , a tendency to shy away from 50/50 balls , a complete no no for inter county.   it was 2015 v Dubs I seen him with my two fooking eyes yellow out of a 60/40 in his favour when it was melting pot time . His fans never seem to see whats obvious to others.

Unfortunately accurate.
no point in slagging him off at this point.
he did his stint for mayo and should be thanked for it

A good footballer with plenty of talent but probably just lacking a bit of an edge to his game.

He's no worse than the likes of Evan Regan or Conor O'Shea. But I suppose you've more juice to stick on the panel when your big brothers are calling the shots and the manager doesn't want to offend them.

If Horan had some sense he'd have left him on for more than 15 minutes  in the 2013 AI final, a year where he was in All-Star form and had been MotM in the AISF. Probably cost Horan and Mayo an AI.
Come off it Syf, Alan hadn't been able to take a full part in training in the previous week because he had a bad dose of the flu. Horan took a gamble on his fitness and lost.  Alll that was reported in the local papers at the time.

The rumour about Freeman having the flu in the build up to the final is simply not true.It was a disastrous decision to take him off

Dubhaltach

I'd be sceptical about that 28,000 figure. It came from a Martin Breheny article where he gave no direct quote stating the capacity was 28,000. My guess is that he pulled it out of his hole, as usual.   

Orchard park

Quote from: mayoman dan on April 13, 2018, 05:00:06 PM
Very good performances in his debut season in 2010 v Sligo and Longford. A good game v Tyrone in 13 . Mostly negative contributions for the rest of his time , a tendency to shy away from 50/50 balls , a complete no no for inter county.   it was 2015 v Dubs I seen him with my two fooking eyes yellow out of a 60/40 in his favour when it was melting pot time . His fans never seem to see whats obvious to others.

Unfortunately accurate.

A good footballer with plenty of talent but probably just lacking a bit of an edge to his game.

He's no worse than the likes of Evan Regan or Conor O'Shea. But I suppose you've more juice to stick on the panel when your big brothers are calling the shots and the manager doesn't want to offend them.

If Horan had some sense he'd have left him on for more than 15 minutes  in the 2013 AI final, a year where he was in All-Star form and had been MotM in the AISF. Probably cost Horan and Mayo an AI.
Come off it Syf, Alan hadn't been able to take a full part in training in the previous week because he had a bad dose of the flu. Horan took a gamble on his fitness and lost.  Alll that was reported in the local papers at the time.

The rumour about Freeman having the flu in the build up to the final is simply not true.It was a disastrous decision to take him off

Correct on both counts despite the James Horan fan club here. A clearly injured cunniffe was left on way too long also. Never noticed o'carroll concussed or o gara on one leg. Took off Seamus and left on a non performing Aidan.  It was A horror show my mgmt

Lar Naparka

Unfortunately accurate.

Nah, he had flu or a heavy cold alright, according to the father of an Aghamore player, but I know there were other reasons as well that made relations between JH and the Freemans rather stretched. It may be that Alan's father wasn't too happy with Horan. But the fact is,  Alan was not having one of his better days . He had a couple of halfhearted scoring attempts blocked down and I felt he just wasn't getting stuck in.Dunno if taking him off although was a good idea.
There were others who weren't playing well either and given Freeman's display in the semi,  I'd have left him on a bit longer in the hope that he'd rediscover his form.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

mayoman dan

Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 15, 2018, 12:09:44 AM

Unfortunately accurate.

Nah, he had flu or a heavy cold alright, according to the father of an Aghamore player, but I know there were other reasons as well that made relations between JH and the Freemans rather stretched. It may be that Alan's father wasn't too happy with Horan. But the fact is,  Alan was not having one of his better days . He had a couple of halfhearted scoring attempts blocked down and I felt he just wasn't getting stuck in.Dunno if taking him off although was a good idea.
There were others who weren't playing well either and given Freeman's display in the semi,  I'd have left him on a bit longer in the hope that he'd rediscover his form.

Well according to a man that played in the last A vs B game before the final Freeman didnt have any flu or cold leading into the final.In the A vs B game the B team hammered the A team by about 7 points with Freeman and Mikey Conroy doing most of the damage.Not your ideal preperation for an all ireland final.If Horan had started both Freeman and Conroy Andy and probably Cillian would have missed out.Horan opted for Freeman but was anxious to get Conroy in as soon as possible.The stories about colds flus and Richie Feeney busting both Horan and Dillon are all nonsense.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: mayoman dan on April 15, 2018, 12:30:52 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 15, 2018, 12:09:44 AM

Unfortunately accurate.

Well according to a man that played in the last A vs B game before the final Freeman didnt have any flu or cold leading into the final.In the A vs B game the B team hammered the A team by about 7 points with Freeman and Mikey Conroy doing most of the damage.Not your ideal preperation for an all ireland final.If Horan had started both Freeman and Conroy Andy and probably Cillian would have missed out.Horan opted for Freeman but was anxious to get Conroy in as soon as possible.The stories about colds flus and Richie Feeney busting both Horan and Dillon are all nonsense.
I have no particular reason to believe any version of Freeman's subbing that I've heard over any other but I believe that if there are several possible answers to a problem, the simplest one is probably the best.
I can well believe that what your informant told you about the A v B game is correct; after all, that's what you would expect.
He had a great game in the semi and I would say he was MOTM that day. With his confidence sky high, he would have carried his form forward into the training sessions and you'd expect into the final also. He was always a confidence player.
In my opinion all the forwards, with the exception of Andy, were playing badly right from the start- nowhere near as good as they were in the previous game.

Freeman wasn't the worst but he was not playing very well either. So Horan took him off and replaced him with Mickey Conroy.
But if Conroy and Freeman were the standout players in the final trial, why weren't both playing from the start?
Why would Horan opt to start Freeman but be anxious to replace him with Conroy at the same time?  If he was, that would be an unnecessary substitution at a relatively early stage of the game. That would not make sense.

Lar Naparka

Anyway, that's all  history now and there is no point in rehashing conspiracy theories.
I'd like to get the thread back on-topic again and leave the past where it belongs.

mayoman dan

Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 15, 2018, 05:24:39 PM
Anyway, that's all  history now and there is no point in rehashing conspiracy theories.
I'd like to get the thread back on-topic again and leave the past where it belongs.

Agree 100% Lar.What happened happened lets leave it where it belongs and look forward to giving Galway a good hammering on the 13th

mayoman dan

Id imagine we will have Vaughan on Comer with Higgins sweeping in front of him.Dont see any of our other backs with the physicality and size for him