Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: Truth hurts on February 01, 2022, 10:35:19 AM
Quote from: BigRipper89 on February 01, 2022, 10:15:04 AM
Truth Hurts makes some very good points. Think people under estimate the step up to county football from club. Now thats not to say that a big handful of lads from kilcoo would be fit to make the panel. But its just not as easy to slot them straight in to downs starting 15. Niall and Adain Brannigan played in 2012 also and didnt get much game time so think thats why they choose not to commit as alot older now. Now Mc Evoy, Dabs, Jonstones, PD, Ward and Doc more than capable of playing at that level but would be in competition for starting places not certain of them. Forwards like Kerr, B.o Hagan, Corey Quinn all be of that level. Rooney cracking club player and would like to see him get a run for down this year and Mc Evoy/ Mc Elroy be great competition for each other.

On another note, any word of whats happening with the leauges. Surely it wont be 3 16 leauge teams with 6 going down at the end of the year as suggested. This would be such a waste of a year for some club teams

I am just out of breakfast in Railway street, I spoke with a former East Down board member who would still have his finger on the pulse.
Div 1 will have the Stone, Glenn, the Kingdom and Darragh Cross added to it and one round of fixtures will be played. THE CCC cannot fit 22 games into the calendar before the championship.
I will get to speak to a few more people today and gauge the mood of clubs within Down. Div one beckons for Darragh Cross for the first time in their history.

I've heard variations of this proposal doing the rounds.

Let's say it is put to vote, and let's assume that D2 would have some form of promotion in 2022.

What people would be voting for is that 2023 would see a 10 team D1 in which 1 of the clubs would be the 17th ranked team in the county, and one of the clubs might be the 18th ranked team in the county. They'd be annihilated week in, week out. And without relegation  fears the other 8 clubs would dead rubber half the season.

Anyone voting through such a proposal should be immediately barred from ever having a vote on Down football again.

Truth hurts

Quote from: thewobbler on February 01, 2022, 11:43:51 AM
Truth Hurts makes some very good points. Think people under estimate the step up to county football from club. Now thats not to say that a big handful of lads from kilcoo would be fit to make the panel. But its just not as easy to slot them straight in to downs starting 15. Niall and Adain Brannigan played in 2012 also and didnt get much game time so think thats why they choose not to commit as alot older now. Now Mc Evoy, Dabs, Jonstones, PD, Ward and Doc more than capable of playing at that level but would be in competition for starting places not certain of them. Forwards like Kerr, B.o Hagan, Corey Quinn all be of that level. Rooney cracking club player and would like to see him get a run for down this year and Mc Evoy/ Mc Elroy be great competition for each other.

On another note, any word of whats happening with the leauges. Surely it wont be 3 16 leauge teams with 6 going down at the end of the year as suggested. This would be such a waste of a year for some club teams

I am just out of breakfast in Railway street, I spoke with a former East Down board member who would still have his finger on the pulse.
Div 1 will have the Stone, Glenn, the Kingdom and Darragh Cross added to it and one round of fixtures will be played. THE CCC cannot fit 22 games into the calendar before the championship.
I will get to speak to a few more people today and gauge the mood of clubs within Down. Div one beckons for Darragh Cross for the first time in their history.

Let's say it is put to vote, and let's assume that D2 would have some form of promotion in 2022.

What people would be voting for is that 2023 would see a 10 team D1 in which 1 of the clubs would be the 17th ranked team in the county, and one of the clubs might be the 18th ranked team in the county. They'd be annihilated week in, week out. And without relegation  fears the other 8 clubs would dead rubber half the season.

Anyone voting through such a proposal should be immediately barred from ever having a vote on Down football again.

I do not see why the leagues cannot be started in mid March and have a few double weeks but i am sure hurling is a problem. In division one Warrenpint, Clonduff, Mayobridge , Burren, Kilcoo,Bryansford, RGU and Castlewellan all have adequate floodlighting which could help matters. But a few Sat or sun games in March would be fine.

BUT the u19 comp is due to be starting then which will no doubt be an issue. Because of the crap u19 competition that was held last year, there is going to be a greater emphasis to get this properly run of this season so you could not have an u19 and senior game on the same day.

thewobbler

If senior football league is being held up to facilitate an u19 competition that will inevitably be a shitshow for most clubs, then that's properly are about face stuff.

The biggest problem with playing fixtures in March is that it increases the chance of postponements due to weather. Which is okay if there's wiggle room in the calendar, but it's a giant f**king headache when there isn't.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: thewobbler on February 01, 2022, 11:43:51 AM

Did that, or something similar, not happen in 2016 or 2017? I think it was Ballymartin that got out of Div 2 when there was 4 relegated from Div 1.

yewtree

Down v Monaghan Ulster SFC

Smyth

Collins
McArdle
Aaron Brannigan

D Brannigan
McParland
D O'Hagan

Murdock
Mooney

B O'Hagan
J Johnston
McGovern

Shea McCartan
Kerr
Ryan Johnston

This is the team that Down are hoping to put out in Championship.
Already there has been talk to try and get the money together to buy out the soccer contracts and wages.
Lots of talk about scholarships and other ways to compensate the players if this can be done within GAA rules.
At the minute QUB GAA have scholarships but talk is they don't want to offer any more scholarships if players aren't playing for club and counties .Mc Govern has GAA scholarship there for this year, be great if QUB, Harps and Down could facilitate.
The Shea McCartan situation could be harder with Glens.
It would be some addition to Down if this can happen.Lots of potential benefactors out there to get this over the line.

Truth hurts

CCC Proposal

The CCC proposal is that in 2022 we would have Three Divisions in Down, Division One would have 16 Teams, Division Two 18 Teams and Division Three Nine Teams. This would be for one season only and would provide us with a mechanism to reach a solution in 2023 where we would have Division One with 10 Teams, Division Two with 10 Teams, Division Three with 10 Teams and Division 4A and 4B to be made up of potentially 7 teams each or if additional teams were to be admitted we could have 10 teams in each.

Benefits

· Division One would have 15 games, Division Two 17 Games and Division Three 16 games.

· Flexibility in the Calendar if postponements were needed.

· County Players and Successful Clubs would not then have a huge burden of Club Fixtures.

· Better Schedule for players and Clubs, in each month there is a free week including July.

· All Matters are then resolved for 2023, when normal Home and Away structures would return, and teams would have 18 League Games.

· Top Nine Teams in Division One at end of 2022 constitute new Division One in 2023.

· 10th Team in Division One at end of 2022 plays the Top placed Team in Division Two at end of 2022 to decide final spot in Division One for 2023.

· Top Team in Division One wins the League.

· Bottom Six Teams in Division One at end of 2022 plus Top Three Teams in Division Two at end of 2022 and loser of the Play Off Game (Above) make up new Division Two in 2023

· Next Ten Teams in Division Two Make up New Division Three for 2023

· Remaining Four Teams in Division Two plus Top Three Teams in Division Three make up Division Four A in 2023

· Remaining Six Teams in Division Three Make up Division 4B in 2023

Truth hurts

What are everyone's views on the proposals? Do you think clubs will accept them or will they have a choice? There is no other proposal on the table.

meatsy86

Two options and a CCC Proposal have been received by all clubs.

Truth hurts

apologies I have more text now.
What are peoples opinions on the 3 options, it's a tough one

thewobbler

The worst one is the CCC proposal as all it would do is hammer home the gap in standards between the divisions. A 16 team D1 is a horrible thought, and an 18 team D2 worse again. Top v bottom clashes would be like the Rugby World Cup group stages.

League football will never be as important as Championship. But it has a serious USP in that it is evenly-matched, competitive football. If we take that away, we take everything away.

east down gael

Quote from: thewobbler on February 01, 2022, 04:32:06 PM
The worst one is the CCC proposal as all it would do is hammer home the gap in standards between the divisions. A 16 team D1 is a horrible thought, and an 18 team D2 worse again. Top v bottom clashes would be like the Rugby World Cup group stages.

League football will never be as important as Championship. But it has a serious USP in that it is evenly-matched, competitive football. If we take that away, we take everything away.

I wouldn't  be in favour of the CCC proposal but reading the problems with the first two options I can't see a better way to get back to ten team leagues.

SamFever

Another option would be to change the Championship for one year only to straight knock-out and allow for the extra games in the League.

Johnnysboys

Quote from: SamFever on February 01, 2022, 06:11:42 PM
Another option would be to change the Championship for one year only to straight knock-out and allow for the extra games in the League.

Straight knockout cship would be absolutely shit.. possibility of one or two big games in early rounds but most would be mismatches and the lesser teams learn feck all getting tanked by Burren/Kilcoo/Clonduff/CPN..
our Championship is quality at the minute and generally the top 6 teams get to the quarter final and the other 2 are teams on form at that time..

A bigger issue here could be running an u19 competition when the county u20 are preparing for their championship. Will clubs field without their county players - I wouldn't think so..
whatever way the leagues are worked this year is irrelevant as it's not going to be competitive until we are back to ten team formations in each league. So proposal A or B or whatever they are called can run away. The top 8 clubs in down will be in division 1 in 2023 and A N Other x2. Then the leagues will tighten up.

Back2Winning

What is the rush to get back to 10 teams per division???
We currently have 43 teams in the county and if Ballykinlar return it will be 44.
Is there anything wrong with have 4 x 11 team divisions with the odd team getting a bye each week?
Forget about taking a break in July and play twice a week if required.

supersub

Quote from: Back2Winning on February 01, 2022, 07:20:33 PM
What is the rush to get back to 10 teams per division???
We currently have 43 teams in the county and if Ballykinlar return it will be 44.
Is there anything wrong with have 4 x 11 team divisions with the odd team getting a bye each week?
Forget about taking a break in July and play twice a week if required.

You can't go changing league structures every 5 minutes. The leagues were set to 10 teams a few years ago and the only reason we have this situation is due to Covid. As with everything in the world, completely out of the ordinary and may take something uncomfortable or extraordinary to resolve the issue. Never going to suit everyone.