Previous topic - Next topic

SHEEDY

Quote from: Lotto on December 25, 2021, 09:34:59 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on December 25, 2021, 08:19:33 PM
Quote from: Lotto on December 25, 2021, 07:49:33 PM
Quote from: ardtole on December 25, 2021, 07:45:31 PM
Quote from: Lotto on December 25, 2021, 06:36:03 PM
Quote from: ardtole on December 25, 2021, 05:50:05 PM
It was limited to one player from each club in fairness.

What difference does that make to whether Laverty should be included or not? As Johnny says, as a club club absolutely but as a county player he was never good enough during this period.
Some posters had Brendan McVeigh as the An Riocht selection, meaning the two Clarkes were ineligible for selection in the forward line, majority of people would select Ambrose as the Longstone rep, ruling out Mark Poland.

Similarly, picking Benny rules out Sexton and Walsh, plenty of other examples. No one suggested Laverty was in the top 6 forwards for Down in the last 20 years, but under the only 1 player from each club rule, he more than warrants a mention in my opinion.

He might deserve a mention but that is as far as it goes. There are better options from his club than him in my opinion.
who are these better options? Its only bitta craic, not that serious. Throw up your team with all these better options than everyone else 👍

I have spoken about 1 player having better options from his club than Laverty. Paul Devlin, Ryan Johnston, Jerome Johnston, Darragh O'Hanlon. Kilcoo had limited County input in this period so who says they need to have a player anyway?
nobody says kilcoo have to have a player named in the team. The players named may go on to have great county careers but over the last 20 years no kilcoo player has had a better county career than Connor laverty.

In my team Paul McCommiskey, Connnaire Harrison, Kevin McKernan, Ronan murtagh, all came into consideration and argument could be made for any of them.

Interesting the club's that have nobody really in contention, Warrenpoint, Glenn, Bredagh, Carryduff, over next 20 years I'd say that'll change
nil satis nisi optimum

ardtole

Saul too are benefiting from a huge growth in house building over the past 15/20 years, in the downpatrick end of their parish.

ardtole

Strange that the likes of Bryansford and Castlewellan havent got a nailed on outfield player either. Two traditional big clubs, I suppose similar could be said regarding RGU.

Hard2Listen2

Heard from an in-the-know individual that Saul could have 4 players on the senior panel next season.

That could hinder their club form with a new management team trying to find their feet without those lads at training.

A challenge but one I'm sure they all welcome.

Lotto

Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on December 27, 2021, 07:03:41 PM
Heard from an in-the-know individual that Saul could have 4 players on the senior panel next season.

That could hinder their club form with a new management team trying to find their feet without those lads at training.

It must be a big panel if Saul have 4 players on it!

With the new split season, it's nearly a disadvantage to have players on the county squad especially if they aren't getting game time with either team and getting less fit being no advantage when they come back to the club. We all want the county team to do well but if it is to the detriment of our clubs, I know where my allegiance would be.

Mourne Red

Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on December 27, 2021, 07:03:41 PM

Laverty, O'Hare and 2 of the Harneys? I reckon Laverty and O'Hare will be the 2 who will be unavailable for them

ardtole

I think the Saul goalie played county at underage level. Id be tempted to give last years u20 keeper, Charlie Smith a go. He looked promising.

Lotto

The two Harneys were passengers against Burren and Carryduff last year in the championship so why would they be involved at this level. Decent in Div 2 but far too small to have any impact for Down. If they don't make match day squads they are losing out and so are Saul.

Hazard isn't at this level either but Smyth can be a liability as we saw with the 20's last year. Who is our No.1?

Rumours of a county training camp this week.

Hard2Listen2

Pierce Laverty & Ciaran Harney have been on panel a while now & Jack Hazzard & Ruairi O'Hare would be worth a look.

Lotto

Ciaran Harney was there a year or 2 back but apart from Mc Kenna Cup got little action. O'Hare offers something with his size and mobility but a no for Hazard with me. Laverty is also hurt and could be out for a while.

Hard2Listen2

Mr Lottery you must spend a lot of time in Docs & The Busty Bee with the other influencers.

You have your finger on the faint pulse of Down football.

Defo a man who's in the know!!

rosskarr

Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on December 27, 2021, 09:22:31 PM
Mr Lottery you must spend a lot of time in Docs & The Busty Bee with the other influencers.

You have your finger on the faint pulse of Down football.

Defo a man who's in the know!!
With AoR in the Down Management the Training Camp
must be in La Manga.

SamFever

And sorry to hear about the retirement of Darragh O'Hanlon from all football due to successive injuries
over the last few years.

SHEEDY

Quote from: SamFever on December 28, 2021, 05:50:50 PM
   And sorry to hear about the retirement of Darragh O'Hanlon from all football due to successive injuries
over the last few years.
great lad, great player, sad to see him have to retire. Fully fit he was some asset to club and county.
nil satis nisi optimum

Back2Winning

Good Afternoon All.
Anyone hear from a reliable source or know when the Down Football Leagues are scheduled to start in 2022??