The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sid waddell

Quote from: Taylor on March 01, 2021, 12:21:46 PM
OLeary has come out and said Gigginstown will be keeping their horses with Elliott.

It may be because they are winding down the operation but still a bad look
"Jab and Go" must have referred to murdering horses

yellowcard

The O'Leary statement said that he accepted Elliott's sincere apology but I'd say his main beef is the fact that he was caught and with the person who leaked it. It was apparently a Gigginstown horse as well that he was caught sitting on top of!

Owners, trainers and racing media will now engage in window dressing PR exercises that best suits their own individual agendas. Feigned outrage at the photo but it will be interesting to see where the story ends up. There is a much bigger widespread issue in racing that needs to be discussed and that is to do with the level of public funds and tax breaks issued. The sport has major issues with corruption, doping, money laundering and animal welfare but the racing industry will probably circle the wagons for fear of greater exposure. 

Hound

At The Races / Sky Sports racing's comments/pundits this morning certainly haven't been deflecting / circling wagons / brushing under the carpet.

Extremely critical, and pointed comments that they're a bit fearful the IHRB might not go hard enough on him. And that while the British Horseracing Authority nearly always follow whatever ban the Irish would impose, they have in their power to issue extra punishment.

Banning him for Cheltenham is on the cards, in which case his owners would have to switch yards to keep their runners in the race.

screenexile

Quote from: yellowcard on March 01, 2021, 01:16:01 PM
The O'Leary statement said that he accepted Elliott's sincere apology but I'd say his main beef is the fact that he was caught and with the person who leaked it. It was apparently a Gigginstown horse as well that he was caught sitting on top of!

Owners, trainers and racing media will now engage in window dressing PR exercises that best suits their own individual agendas. Feigned outrage at the photo but it will be interesting to see where the story ends up. There is a much bigger widespread issue in racing that needs to be discussed and that is to do with the level of public funds and tax breaks issued. The sport has major issues with corruption, doping, money laundering and animal welfare but the racing industry will probably circle the wagons for fear of greater exposure.

O'Leary isn't soft I'm sure there was a swift renegotiation of training fees and % of winnings going forward based on the 'pain and suffering'.

Elliott would have had to cave if he lost Gigginstown he'd have lost the rest as well!

yellowcard

Quote from: Hound on March 01, 2021, 02:15:27 PM
At The Races / Sky Sports racing's comments/pundits this morning certainly haven't been deflecting / circling wagons / brushing under the carpet.

Extremely critical, and pointed comments that they're a bit fearful the IHRB might not go hard enough on him. And that while the British Horseracing Authority nearly always follow whatever ban the Irish would impose, they have in their power to issue extra punishment.

Banning him for Cheltenham is on the cards, in which case his owners would have to switch yards to keep their runners in the race.

It's a lot easier for British racing to go hard on him though since there isn't the same cosy relationship among trainers, racing media and the authorities. It is a relatively small circle in Irish racing circle where everybody knows each other and there is a lot of self congratulation and self preservation. For example If I had a euro for everytime I've heard Aidan O'Brien or Willie Mullins referred to as a 'genius' by racing media for example I'd be a rich man!!

I'd say the British racing authorities are dreading a situation where Elliott is still allowed to bring his horses over to Cheltenham and they are left to deal with the negativity and unwanted scrutiny that this brings. By speaking out in the media they are putting pressure on the Irish authorities to make the decision for them. 

bannside

Performance enhancing supplements are par for the course in the industry, and the secret is finding how to mask them better than the others. It's all science. Gone are the days of the small trainer having the same chance as the top trainers.  Same in greyhound racing, my first love tbh. And if the authorities try too hard to crack down on it, it might be like turkeys voting for Christmas...it could destroy what's left of the "sport".

yellowcard

Quote from: bannside on March 01, 2021, 02:28:46 PM
Performance enhancing supplements are par for the course in the industry, and the secret is finding how to mask them better than the others. It's all science. Gone are the days of the small trainer having the same chance as the top trainers.  Same in greyhound racing, my first love tbh. And if the authorities try too hard to crack down on it, it might be like turkeys voting for Christmas...it could destroy what's left of the "sport".

This is undoubtedly true. There are a lot of good people in racing working on the ground who are very shabbily treayed but at the top level it is a business where winning and money talks and horse welfare is secondary. Otherwise why do trainers feed them growth hormones and run them with painkillers and sedatives. For the authorities it is not about policing the sport properly but about good PR and 'managing' the problem rather than creating a whole s**tstorm. Elliott will be scapegoated here but there is more than Elliott with questions to answer. 

Hound

The Elliott horse confirmed to be Morgan, owned by Gigginstown. 4 time winner, 7 year old, died of an aneurysm on Elliott's gallops in 2019.

A vid now doing the rounds of a jockey getting up on a different dead horse. Young lad being egged on by two other dopes, but he still did it and because it's a vid it arguably looks even worse than Elliott.
The amateur jockey who it supposedly is was due to be riding in the 5.20 at Gowran this evening, but is a non-runner.

Armagh18

It's not a nice picture and he's a stupid p***k for posing for it, but it's a sad sign of the times the amount of keyboard warriors and general gobshites looking to ruin the man

trailer

Got sent some of the stuff on Whatsapp last evening. If even half of it true its really bad looking. Them all in that wee bar looks really poor form given the restrictions at the minute.

mouview

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 02, 2021, 11:32:13 AM
It's not a nice picture and he's a stupid p***k for posing for it, but it's a sad sign of the times the amount of keyboard warriors and general gobshites looking to ruin the man

Absolutely. It's not as if he killed the horse himself. Were you've livestock you have deadstock. Typical OTT woke-generation hysterical response.

thewobbler

The camera phone and social media combo  could eventually suck all spontaneity out of life.

Elliot's behaviour was deplorable, but to be honest not entirely out of kilter with what I've seen alpha males do throughout life i.e. take an opportunity to get some backslapping laughs with mates, by doing something outrageous / immoral.

While in no way supporting Elliot or his actions, the world will be a poorer and less enjoyable place when everyone is too afraid of oddball and slapstick moments coming back to haunt them, to do anything that is oddball or slapstick.

The modern Instagram take on how to live life is to carefully coordinate the exact same monotonous aspirational photo that every other f**ker has posted. f**k that.

Boycey

Its a very modern phenomenon, people are now outraged by this because they are told to be.....

Not Elliott's finest moment and for all I know may be the absolute p***k he's being painted as but is it really enough to want to take a man's whole life away from him?

maddog

On slightly related note always have to laugh at the racing pundits on the TV. When a horse gets fatally injured they make this big hulabaloo about it after the race "condolences to the connections of XYZ" etc and then its move on swiftly time. Basically lip service. Doesn't mean shit and comes across as insincere.

bennydorano

Back of the UK Times today that he's been banned from the UK anyway, pre-empting the IHRB investigation.