2018 National Football League Division 4

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 14, 2017, 11:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Draper

Outstanding. There'll be bumps and pitfalls along the way, but this needs doing, and they need to be backed. Good man John.

Laois fan

While im all for introducing new players ,id be slightly worried about playing so many at the one time especially in the backline

SCFC

He's hanging his hat on these new faces. Good luck to him. It will probably suffice against limerick and he will learn who is up to the step up and who is not.

BallyroanAbu

I agree Don, if it goes wrong we are going to have to man up behind Sugrue.  What he is trying to do is ballsy,  but could go badly wrong.  Fingers crossed that all goes well as it's high risk stuff. 

Exactly what constitutes a good year this year for Sugrue ?  Thoughts please
Personally Decent Showing Div 4 hopefully promotion
Championship Leinster Semi and be in the game with Kildare regardless of result

Most important Green Shoots

town1980

i hope john does well results are what defines managers so please god he gets off to a winning start,,it wont be easy but i act dont know one person on that limerick team so im sure will be in with a shout

The Rover

fair play to the management team for selecting so many new players, I think this is a correct and brave selection. Win or not on Saturday night we should all get behind this team and current setup and hopefully a new team and a new era for Laois football will emerge. we do not expect miracles, from such a new team but we do hope to see progress as the league campaign goes on and hope to get promotion if not this year certainly next season.
best of luck to all involved and thank you for your commitment to the county.

Tony

Very interesting looking team. Pretty much a new starting 15 apart from a few positions. Surprised we're not seeing a few more familiar faces to tighten up the team sheet, but at the same time, excited to see all of the inexperienced players play - this will be a top test for all. This isn't exactly a vintage Limerick team either and it's two very new sides for both. Win or lose, we'll find out a lot about what we have on Saturday. Hoping we have a game plan & don't just look like we never played together before, that would be a dissappointment, regardless of result. I have trust in John and the setup & will give it time, eitherway, and we must remember that we're building from a lowpoint and now is a time to be patient. The likes of Lowry are on top form at the moment with his college, looking forward to seeing how he does. Also looking forward to seeing how everyone else is doing, especially Holland, Glynn and young Crowley from Emo.

Don Draper

May I draw peoples attention to this paragraph

His comments after the second O'Byrne Cup game were telling as well. While the players all might like him, he offers no indication that he isn't prepared to speak bluntly to the panel, regardless of seniority. "A lot of the most positive fellas so far are the newcomers as far as I'm concerned. They've shown a real freshness and a real appetite for this thing and they really want to play for Laois. So a lot of the newcomers are looking good at the moment for us." Those were his words after the loss to Westmeath in their second O'Byrne Cup meeting, and the message was clear - he was looking for freshness and appetite.

We've tried and failed repeatedly with the "experienced players" being spoken of. While a bit of it may be useful in many ways, in other ways these players, most notably in the league last year, have shown crippling inability to get over the line. They're not bad players, so the mental issue must be addressed at this point.  But from what I seen of the matches I've attended so far, is that not too many were putting their hands up all that high, and on or two were way off. If the younger ones are chomping at the bit, then let them off the leash.

High Fielder

Based on what I know about those selected, particularly in the backs, there's a work rate in them all as individuals. We can only hope that they gel and work hard for each other. As Don said above, there'll be hiccups along the way, but they deserve our support because they wouldn't be there if they didn't care about Laois. I wish them luck and would advise them to work as hard for each other as they possibly can. I say that particularly to our forwards who in recent years have allowed far too much pressure to be heaped on our back line

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: High Fielder on January 26, 2018, 07:57:38 PM
Based on what I know about those selected, particularly in the backs, there's a work rate in them all as individuals. We can only hope that they gel and work hard for each other. As Don said above, there'll be hiccups along the way, but they deserve our support because they wouldn't be there if they didn't care about Laois. I wish them luck and would advise them to work as hard for each other as they possibly can. I say that particularly to our forwards who in recent years have allowed far too much pressure to be heaped on our back line
I agree but I don't think they will get away with not working in the forwards with John Sugrue. This man has started out with a good attitude and hopefully it will carry over to the players.

Not starting Donie is a huge statement of intent from him and no matter who you are you wont be getting anything handy this year.

Tonight will tell us a bit more about a few lads and the management team but we have to be patient and remember just where we're coming from. Really looking forward to this one tonight.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

O moore parklife

Donnie is part of a strong bench along with Begley Lillis o munnely Donoher Carroll Mecevoy x2 Dillon Jaime farrel. Lots of injuries so id imagine he is fit player 26.
Best of luck to all involved great to see this many debuts its a statement of intent. Plus alot of experience on the bench to settle things if needed

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Bamford1995

Very good result tonight, was slightly anxious how we would fare with such a young team. We really should push on now and look to take the group, Leitrim next week will be a tougher test

Laoisguy

Delighted with the result all lads gave it their all

Div 4 at times won't be straight forward as proven tonight they had to tough it out
Good to see a system in place
Thought the full back line did great.....so sorry for Attride
Laois abĂș