Ulster Club SFC 2016

Started by WT4E, September 27, 2016, 10:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

The number 10 could have goaled too a bit later.The wee small things mount up.

Probably deserved it but the game could have went either way at times.

Estimator

Slaughtneil can be superb at controlling the play, if they are allowed to. All their players are very composed on the ball. But Kilcoo let them do it.. Prime example was after McMullan made a good save to deny a Kilcoo goal. S'neil had a free out. They proceeded to play keep ball inside their own 21yd line. There was no urgency from the Kilcoo players to tackle any of the 3 or 4 different S'neil players involved in the passing movement before McKaigue cleared and they won a free further up the pitch.

Deserved win and fair play to Slaughtneil. Great victory and they'll go on from here with confidence. Serious achievement with the Treble!!

Are St Finbarr's (Cork) the only other club to do provincial Football and Hurling double in the one year?

Ulster League Champions 2009

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 27, 2016, 05:12:27 PM
Yep amazing feat, so difficult to do nowadays... and no reason why the club cant reach both finals at this point!

A notable achievement,  although Kilcoo had their chances.
Presumably reaching both finals would rather strain the Derry men as both games would be in he same day!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

yellowcard

If ever a game summed up the hand pass solo blight of modern Gaelic football that was it. Dire game from a purists point of view. Two functional superbly athletic teams with very little in the way of skilled football. Johnstone and Branagans would have wanted their own ball at times such was their failure to get their head up and try and execute a kick pass. Stick the head down and take 2 or 3 solos before offloading. Rinse repeat. Then Slaughtneill tried to run the clock down by playing keep ball with over 5 minutes to go by going over and back the field in a possession type game. As an earlier poster said, bring back Scotstown and Cross who tried to play positive attacking football where players actually tried to kick pass the ball into space. Awful spectacle, the only thing that kept it interesting was th closeness of the contest.

JoG2

Quote from: yellowcard on November 27, 2016, 06:42:30 PM
If ever a game summed up the hand pass solo blight of modern Gaelic football that was it. Dire game from a purists point of view. Two functional superbly athletic teams with very little in the way of skilled football. Johnstone and Branagans would have wanted their own ball at times such was their failure to get their head up and try and execute a kick pass. Stick the head down and take 2 or 3 solos before offloading. Rinse repeat. Then Slaughtneill tried to run the clock down by playing keep ball with over 5 minutes to go by going over and back the field in a possession type game. As an earlier poster said, bring back Scotstown and Cross who tried to play positive attacking football where players actually tried to kick pass the ball into space. Awful spectacle, the only thing that kept it interesting was th closeness of the contest.

Slaughtneil went man for man at the back,  they gave Kilcoo serious space at times.  Would have served Kilcoo better to ditch the crowded defensive lines  and push up as they would have known Slaughtneil would,  and can play possession football all day long. 

Throw ball

Agree completely

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Throw ball on November 27, 2016, 07:11:11 PM

Agree completely

I also concur but such is the way of things. Corofin and Crokes at least try to play the game positively. While it was understandable that Slaughtniel were running the clock down it's dicey doing that in your own back line. A slip or miss pass and it's in the back of the net. The funny thing is they can play a very good attaching hand pass game and one score in particular was brilliant where they worked it at pace from back to front but it was very much the exception. They will find it hard to win the AI playing like that. Coordinate were the puck of the teams today and I reckon Vincent's will pull through in Leinster. Either if this will win it.

drici

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 27, 2016, 07:26:37 PM

Agree completely

I also concur but such is the way of things. Corofin and Crokes at least try to play the game positively. While it was understandable that Slaughtniel were running the clock down it's dicey doing that in your own back line. A slip or miss pass and it's in the back of the net. The funny thing is they can play a very good attaching hand pass game and one score in particular was brilliant where they worked it at pace from back to front but it was very much the exception. They will find it hard to win the AI playing like that. Coordinate were the puck of the teams today and I reckon Vincent's will pull through in Leinster. Either if this will win it.

Great corofination all over the field from Coordinate led to their big win.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: drici on November 27, 2016, 07:47:29 PM

Agree completely

Great corofination all over the field from Coordinate led to their big win.

😂

twohands!!!

Agree completely

This for me is the big thing - this type of football where the focus is on retaining possession and keeping it tight, just isn't very successful in terms of winning All-Irelands.

I thought the standard of tackling by both sides was very poor - an amount of lazy poor tackling with the focus being on the man as opposed to the ball - ref could have blown for even more than he did - I reckon long term this does Ulster football no favours, as when they meet a ref who is strict on the definition of the tackle they struggle.

I would have said the best tackling performance of the day was by the Crokes who did very well in terms of putting pressure on the man in possession and turning the ball over, especially around the middle third.

yellowcard

I think the winner will come from the Corofin v Vincent's game (assuming Vincent's beat Rhode). Slaughtneill have a punchers chance against Crokes but in Croke Park in a final playing that style of football they haven't a prayer.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: yellowcard on November 27, 2016, 08:20:37 PM
I think the winner will come from the Corofin v Vincent's game (assuming Vincent's beat Rhode). Slaughtneill have a punchers chance against Crokes but in Croke Park in a final playing that style of football they haven't a prayer.

Has the semi final draw been made?

yellowcard

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 27, 2016, 08:28:11 PM

I heard earlier today that Ulster plays Munster maybe someone can confirm.

Throw ball

I think it is Ulster v Leinster this year. Assuming Slaughtneil beat London champions

Estimator

Quote from: Throw ball on November 27, 2016, 08:39:54 PM

I think it is Ulster v Leinster this year. Assuming Slaughtneil beat London champions

I thought it was Ulster v Leinster myself. Based on the previous years..
2016: Cross v Castlebar
2015: Slaughtneil v Crokes
2014: Ballinderry v Vincents
Ulster League Champions 2009