Ulster Club SFC 2016

Started by WT4E, September 27, 2016, 10:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maiden1

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 14, 2016, 07:58:49 PM
Quote from: Maiden1 on November 14, 2016, 07:58:15 PM
Burren have beaten Kilcoo in last 2 years in championship then got knocked out narrowly by Kilcoo when Kilcoo qualified through back door.

Kilcoo have won 5 Down titles on the trot.
Yes but there has generally only been a point or 2 between the 2 teams. I.e Burren and Kilcoo. Luck of draw they keep running into each other.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Maiden1

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 14, 2016, 08:00:16 PM
In fact Kilcoo have won their last 5 Down titles by a combined total of 35 points.
Only because they met Burren in earlier round. If those 2 where in final it would be tight.

lenny

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 14, 2016, 07:58:26 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on November 14, 2016, 07:19:26 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 14, 2016, 06:39:30 PM
Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on November 14, 2016, 05:18:56 PM
Beg my ignorance, but is the point of each county championship not to determine the best team in that county at knockout football? Therefore the best selected team would go on as representatives of their county in the provincial club championship to determine the best team in the province?
If the Tyrone championship is superior to the rest, surly their county champions would have more of an impact in the ulster series than they have? Surly the tougher run of games will stand to them better?

One championship can return 7 different winner in 7 years while it's the same faces coming out of Derry/Armagh/Down/Monaghan for the most part.

No Tyrone club would be in the top 5 club sides in Ulster but I don't think you'd find 7/8 club sides in any of the aforementioned counties who could hold their own like sides from Tyrone do. Look at Maghery getting a 13 point tanking yesterday. The county champions are not an overall measure of the quality of their respective championships as some here are inferring - the fact that these clubs are winning multiple titles on the trot would suggest that the quality of those championships may not be all they are proclaimed to be.

If Maghery had have played with everyone behind the ball like Killyclogher the match would have been much closer.

Ifs, buts and maybes.

Maghery took a tanking.

As did killyclogher. It was a 6 point massacre in the eyes of most people.

Milltown Row2

There is no hiding from two titles (one club) since it started in 1968....

Talk of seven different winners last seven years. Brilliant.. what was the reason prior to that? There has been dominat  teams in Tyrone, just more dominant clubs from other countries...

Cavan gaels should have won at least one and so should gave Enniskillen gaels, great teams who with a bounce of the ball lost out...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 14, 2016, 08:08:23 PM

Talk of seven different winners last seven years. Brilliant.. what was the reason prior to that? There has been dominat  teams in Tyrone, just more dominant clubs from other countries...

Cavan gaels should have won at least one and so should gave Enniskillen gaels, great teams who with a bounce of the ball lost out...

Because one club says nothing about the quality of a county championship, it just tells you about the quality of that particular team.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Maiden1 on November 14, 2016, 08:00:50 PM
Burren have beaten Kilcoo in last 2 years in championship then got knocked out narrowly by Kilcoo when Kilcoo qualified through back door.

Yes but there has generally only been a point or 2 between the 2 teams. I.e Burren and Kilcoo. Luck of draw they keep running into each other.

Why can't Burren beat Kilcoo when it matters so. The last time they met in a county final, Kilcoo won by 11 points. Kilcoo are far ahead of anything in Down at the minute, 5 titles on the trot tells you everything you need to know in that regard.

time ticking away

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 14, 2016, 08:19:56 PM

Why can't Burren beat Kilcoo when it matters so. The last time they met in a county final, Kilcoo won by 11 points. Kilcoo are far ahead of anything in Down at the minute, 5 titles on the trot tells you everything you need to know in that regard.

Bomber by your own admission you don't even watch club football in Tyrone. What are you talking about ?
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......

Maiden1

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 14, 2016, 08:18:00 PM

Because one club says nothing about the quality of a county championship, it just tells you about the quality of that particular team.
7 different winners in 7 years doesn't say much either other than the teams are fairly similar. Take Cross out of Armagh and you could have 7 different winners. There has been 9 different winners of the down junior championship in 10 years. Derry seem to be strongest county given the number of different winners over last 25 years.

Milltown Row2

And still no Ulster so winning five in a row means??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

You usually talk rubbish bomber but that statement is very true! Some of the years st galls won the runners up would barely have been in the senior championship in other counties.

You do seem more likely to win it out of derry though. I would say armagh but that would be cross only obviously. Other than derry  the winners from most other counties seem to tend to be, on average, lower quality.

I do however think kilcoo might win this year.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 14, 2016, 08:25:53 PM

You usually talk rubbish bomber but that statement is very true! Some of the years st galls won the runners up would barely have been in the senior championship in other counties.

You do seem more likely to win it out of derry though. I would say armagh but that would be cross only obviously. Other than derry  the winners from most other counties seem to tend to be, on average, lower quality.

I do however think kilcoo might win this year.

Competitive in Tyrone yes I agree but outside against other clubs from other counties they haven't filled their so called potential, we can only base it on results and ultimately they have failed miserably on that score

imtommygunn

Yeah it pretty much would be a higher average standard and a lower high standard...

To be fair i think tyrone clubs would be competitive with at least 4 or 5 counties at present and omagh were very close to winning the other year. They wouldn't beat cross, kilcoo, slaughtneil and possibly scotstown but i would expect them to probably beat the rest. (I would expect cross back next year)

Maiden1

You'll have to ask some Burren ones that.

09 Aug 2015 Burren 2.13 v 2.10 Kilcoo (AET)
13 Sep 2015 Burren 1.9 v 2.7 Kilcoo

07Aug 2016 Kilcoo 1.7 v 2.10 Burren
11 Sep 2016 Kilcoo 4.7 v 2.8 Burren

Ethan Tremblay

It was clearly inferred that the reason for Tyrone clubs lack of success in ulster was due to the fact their championship was that "competitive" teams were spent the time ulster matches came around; comments that the same faces from Armagh/Derry/Down/Monaghan were always there or thereabouts in Ulster was that they "walked" through their championships without challenge which is bull.   

From reading posts, people are clearing trying to make a point the Tyrone championship is the toughest in Ulster.  The point I was trying to make is that if it that tough, and the winner is that deserving of the title, why do they not compete as well as they should?   

Regarding Maghery, semi-finalists, they have done as well as any Tyrone team in ulster in the past 10 years bar Omagh in 2014, as far as I mind the only Tyrone team to reach a final?
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Maiden1

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on November 14, 2016, 09:07:41 PM
It was clearly inferred that the reason for Tyrone clubs lack of success in ulster was due to the fact their championship was that "competitive" teams were spent the time ulster matches came around; comments that the same faces from Armagh/Derry/Down/Monaghan were always there or thereabouts in Ulster was that they "walked" through their championships without challenge which is bull.   

From reading posts, people are clearing trying to make a point the Tyrone championship is the toughest in Ulster.  The point I was trying to make is that if it that tough, and the winner is that deserving of the title, why do they not compete as well as they should?   

Regarding Maghery, semi-finalists, they have done as well as any Tyrone team in ulster in the past 10 years bar Omagh in 2014, as far as I mind the only Tyrone team to reach a final?
Since 1990 Derry have below winners of Ulster championship

Lavey (2) (1 AI)
Bellaghy (1) (AI finalist)
Dungiven (1)
Ballinderry (2) (1 AI)
The Loup (1)
Slaughtneil (1) (AI finalist)

and below runners up

The Loup
Ballinderry (2)
Bellaghy(3)

Tyrone have had below ulster champion winners