Best Derry footballer since 1980

Started by glens73, November 22, 2006, 05:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is the best Derry footballer since 1980?

Joe Irwin
3 (2.1%)
Tony Scullion
24 (16.9%)
Anthony Tohill
67 (47.2%)
Kieran McKeever
5 (3.5%)
Brian McGilligan
6 (4.2%)
Henry Downey
8 (5.6%)
Joe Brolly
16 (11.3%)
Enda Gormley
4 (2.8%)
Sean Martin Lockhart
4 (2.8%)
Paddy Bradley
5 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 140

glens73

I may have left one or two out from the early 1980's that I can't think of right now.

Prior to 1980, I appreciate that Sean O'Connell & Jim McKeever may well have been better than any of these but I never saw them play.

Personally, I think Tony Scullion who rarely had a bad game.

hows she cutting

Scullion was a class act but surely it has to be Tohill

glens73

Quote from: hows she cutting on November 22, 2006, 05:31:32 PM
Scullion was a class act but surely it has to be Tohill

Tohill got more of the plaudits and was more skilful, but I thought Scullion was extremely consistent.

TORGAEL

It has to be Tohill..........he had everything, fielding, free taking, great distribution, stamina, leadership......the lot.

Cromagh

Is someone winding me up about Joe Irwin ;D ;D ;D

Please dont embarass yourself your obviously from N Derry. You forgot about Big Plunkett, Brian Kealy, Richard Ferris  ;D ;D

Bogball XV

Quote from: Cromagh on November 22, 2006, 06:31:28 PM
Is someone winding me up about Joe Irwin ;D ;D ;D

Please dont embarass yourself your obviously from N Derry. You forgot about Big Plunkett, Brian Kealy, Richard Ferris  ;D ;D
And obviously McNicholl who took Derry to Ulster glory on his own in '87!!

Can't really see past Big Anthony, Scud couldn't be far behind, nor even wee mckeever, but neither were match winners.  In fact Henry has to be up there too, and Bradley these last 2 years was as good as any of them (pity he hadn't been around 15 yrs ago).

lynchbhoy

dont know why you re laughing at Joe Irwin
a very good player who wasnt playing at the top long enough- or just didnt get seen in the days of bad tv coverage and even worse Derry attendances

Its hard to compare players who are superb in their own positions

McKeever the best man to man marker in the game, and the only man that made canavan look like a junior footballer
Scullion superb
McGilliagan - best in the game at what he did
Tohill best all round attacking midfielder of his generation

cant compare so I cant selct

glens73

I always thought Joe Irwin was a decent player before Derry made the breakthrough

youbetterbelieveit

Tohill, really stands head and shoulders above the rest.

Over the Bar

Tohill would be the obvious choice however McKeever is the only defender I've seen capable of holding Canavan in his prime without having to resort to foulplay- no mean feat.

Mayo4Sam

cant believe brolly has only got 2 votes
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

HaHaHealyPark

1. Tony
2. Brian
3. Anthony
4. Kieran

SouthArmaghBandit

I'm surprised you Derry wans think so highly of Joe B. Hateful wee c**t. I'd go for Tohill or Henry D myself. Great players and gentlemen to boot. But hey, what do I know, I'm only from Armagh.

Uncle Buck

Joe Irwin was a Derry great. He played in every central position apart from nets and usually shone. The only player on the list to play along side George Best too! 

However, I would have to plump for Tony Scullion - a natural. Tohill in his pomp is hard to bypass, but Scullion was more consistent for longer.

screenexile

Can't vote against the man himself!! Tony Scud... what a legend!