Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdg

While I agree that the likes of Benny Ambrose and Gordon should have been kept on the squad. I have seen them play for there clubs and they aren't the players they used too be. I would like too have seen the new management bring in 6 or 7 younger players u23 too give them experience off the squad and build a team for 2-3 yrs down the road. I know 3or4 lads left the panel and weren't replaced surely the management have been out at club game's and seen some good young lads.

gaamann

Maiden just out of interest who are these players you think might make county players?

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Dubh driocht on June 28, 2015, 02:00:41 PM
Hard to know where to start.

Firstly, I agree with Wobbler on the logistics/funding. Whatever we think of the performance, these lads put in a big effort and I don't begrudge them a night in Wexford. It was well after midnight when we got home and it's interesting that the majority of those criticising this aspect of the arrangements didn't bother their holes/had other pressing commitments (delete as appropriate) going to the game. Also, the county board are right to consider different ideas to raise revenue- it's a thankless job and there are always going to be people who complain about the dark rather than turn on the light.

I don't think people are complaining about the fact that the team gets a night in Wexford, but rather that a night away with a few scoops seems to be prioritised over better/proper match preparation. I agree that the players work hard and definitely get too much abuse from supporters but that has nothing to do with the stay in Wexford. Ideally they should stay both nights in Wexford but if the county board can only afford one, then it should have been the night before to save a long journey on match day and give them a few more nights out further down the line this summer.

ardtole

I dont think there is any deliberate bias against east down footballers, but Id argue there is a different set off criteria or allowances for players from south down and particulary lecale clubs. When Shay McCartan was home from Burnley he was drafted into the minor panel when he was home on holiday, Chris Deegans was at Southampton for 3 years, Gerard McCargo was at Leeds for 3 years and Neil Teggart was at sunderland for 3 years as well but to the best of my knowledge they were never invited onto the county minors when they were home; and all 3 were outstanding gaelic footballers at that age level.

Michael magee played a midfield role for the u21s when they got to the aif under Pete McGrath a few years ago. He was then part of the senior panel for the best part of 3 years. His midfeld partner in that team Peter Fitzpatrick went onto play in a senior all ireland for down, so to did the two mayo midfielders who down beat n the semi and the two cork midfielders won all ireland senior medals. Mick didnt look out of place against Seamus oshea or Parsons or Aiden walsh (i think).  I saw him score 3 points against tyrone in McKenna cup, yet incredibly never got a minute of national league action never mind championship. Yet the likes of Eoin McCartan were regulary selected when clearly unfit. Has anyone else ever played midfield for a whole u21 all ireland campaign and never play a single minute of league or championship football at senior level? from any county?

Ruairi Sharvin played midfield for Kilclief when they won the Ifc but was not picked for the minor PANEL that year. 30 lads ahead of him??. If he went to the abbey or st colmans he would have been on first 15. Iv been going to matches to watch down for 30 years and never seen a clubman start a championship game at minor or senior for Down. Im not saying Downs problems can be cured by visiting Ardglass but there is an apathy towards the county set up after decades of being overlooked.

spirit0f91and94

Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 28, 2015, 02:43:57 PM

Firstly, I agree with Wobbler on the logistics/funding. Whatever we think of the performance, these lads put in a big effort and I don't begrudge them a night in Wexford. It was well after midnight when we got home and it's interesting that the majority of those criticising this aspect of the arrangements didn't bother their holes/had other pressing commitments (delete as appropriate) going to the game. Also, the county board are right to consider different ideas to raise revenue- it's a thankless job and there are always going to be people who complain about the dark rather than turn on the light.

I don't think people are complaining about the fact that the team gets a night in Wexford, but rather that a night away with a few scoops seems to be prioritised over better/proper match preparation. I agree that the players work hard and definitely get too much abuse from supporters but that has nothing to do with the stay in Wexford. Ideally they should stay both nights in Wexford but if the county board can only afford one, then it should have been the night before to save a long journey on match day and give them a few more nights out further down the line this summer.

Some amount of crap on this.
That Westmeath team definately stayed in Jury's last night or maybe slept in the Changing Rooms.😃
Name the best 20 players in Down and see how far Jim McCorry is away from it - players just aren't there.

rosskarr

Quote from: spirit0f91and94 on June 28, 2015, 03:57:28 PM

That Westmeath team definately stayed in Jury's last night or maybe slept in the Changing Rooms.😃
Name the best 20 players in Down and see how far Jim McCorry is away from it - players just aren't there.
Your point is well made but the Manager is responsible for getting our most
15 capable men onto the field to win with the aid of the other 5 Subs. If we played
Wexford on another day we may well beat them and McCorry would
get the plaudits but he lost and must take the blame. Men were missing that
could have won us this Fixture but there should have been leeway given to older
and experienced Players when he brought in his new regime. His regime and instrangience
has cost us this year. Perhaps he may see the error of his ways and only he can decide
that. The worrying thing is that there appears to be no one coming through from our
losing Minor and U21 teams.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: spirit0f91and94 on June 28, 2015, 03:57:28 PM

Pot, kettle and black there. Athlone to Dublin is less than half the journey of Down to Wexford.

Ed Hardy

Shambles yesterday!  It was a shambles from when the team was announced on Friday with a player named who the day before had gone for an operation, yet was still named to start? I really like to know the idea behind that.

15 mins started ok I thought, obviously they worked in training on try to work the kickouts to Mc Kernan out on the wings, Wexford soon caught on to this and then Kane was left with nothing  else to do but boot it straight down the middle, also didn't help that he didn't have any spare football's with him at post, until the 2nd half so quick kick outs were never really on! (How often do you ever see Durcan or Cluxton waiting on ball??) Full back line offered little or no protection, with Devlin trying playing nearly as a sweeper, with no success at all! Some of the subsitution were also baffling..

Major worry for me about this management set up, is that they haven't brought on any of the younger players on the panel, I feel that in particular the 2 Johnson brothers both played better under the previous management, given Mc Crory history with Kilcoo I was hoping for a lot more from those two. ( not talking about yesterday game, but over the season as a whole. Don't want that to sound like criticism of those 2 but don't think they were used very well this year)

Very disappointed end to the year, losing the last 3 games played. Div 1 next year will be tight shift!

Line Ball

Could anyone tell me why our senior team do not train on a full size pitch?  Everything they do is in the Abbey and their pitches are small school pitches yet we continue to train here.  Surely they should be training in Pairc Esler to get used to playing a certain style on a big pitch but training on small pitches certainly isn't helping us. 

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Line Ball on June 28, 2015, 06:53:32 PM
Could anyone tell me why our senior team do not train on a full size pitch?  Everything they do is in the Abbey and their pitches are small school pitches yet we continue to train here.  Surely they should be training in Pairc Esler to get used to playing a certain style on a big pitch but training on small pitches certainly isn't helping us.

The Abbey have a full size grass pitch, a full sized 3G pitch and a 3/4 size grass pitch. Do you think MacRory cup games are played on go-games pitches or something?

Line Ball

Quote from: OgraAnDun on June 28, 2015, 07:22:35 PM
Quote from: Line Ball on June 28, 2015, 06:53:32 PM

The Abbey have a full size grass pitch, a full sized 3G pitch and a 3/4 size grass pitch. Do you think MacRory cup games are played on go-games pitches or something?

The Abbey have none of these.  I have just taken a look at their website and the 'full size' 3g pitch has two 50 yard lines but no 65's, obviously trying to hide the fact that it is not full size making it about 120/130m in length.  The grass pitch is just the same and equally as small.  Schools don't play any home games in MacRory cup , as far as I know.

Training on this small pitch all year certainly hasn't helped us when we start to play on much bigger fields come Championship time.

supersub

The Abbey 3G pitch is full size.

Brick Tamlin

Unreal that this is being discussed as an 'issue'.

Line Ball

Take a look here then

http://www.abbeycbs.co.uk/Abbey-Sports-2010.pdf

If it was fullsize there would be two 65m lines on the pitch. 

Line Ball

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 28, 2015, 08:11:05 PM
Unreal that this is being discussed as an 'issue'.

You don't think the size of the pitch our county team train on is relevant?