WHATS THE BEST GAER FOR TEAMS ,GAELIC GEAR OR O'NEILLS ?

Started by Rasmatazz:), September 27, 2008, 05:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldenyears

is this a serious q?? seriously DO NOT GO NEAR gaelic gear!!! worst stuff I ever came across in my life

youngfella

Quote from: goldenyears on October 01, 2008, 05:20:01 PM
is this a serious q?? seriously DO NOT GO NEAR gaelic gear!!! worst stuff I ever came across in my life

How come? IMHO I never thought it was all that bad
Pull hard and early

Gold

Quote from: youngfella on October 01, 2008, 05:34:49 PM
Quote from: goldenyears on October 01, 2008, 05:20:01 PM

How come? IMHO I never thought it was all that bad

IMO opinion Gaelic Gear is nowhere near as bad as Rasmatazz's spelling. He's like a 4 year old--he insists in writing in capital letters and couldn't even spell the title correctly
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Rasmatazz:)

The Rass has only stated the question goldbanger and it's seems that this topic is starting to burn some diesel.

Keep it going as im doing a survey on this .

AFS

To kinda give some support to O'Neills:

Quote from: guevara on October 01, 2008, 05:14:26 PM
Over priced, with designs that have no real difference from county to county.

They may be over priced compared to more global brands like Adidas and Nike but facts are you are paying an extra fiver or so because the jerseys are made here in Ireland (Strabane) for a fair price, and not in Cambodia or Thailand by kids that earn 2p a day.

Regarding the jersey design, O'Neills only make them, the counties themselves have the final say in the design. If you don't like your county's jersey blame your county board not O'Neills.

Quote from: spiritof91and94 on October 01, 2008, 03:39:22 PM
Also, they should have a scheme were GAA Club Members get a discount on production of a valid membership card.

This is a ridiculous idea. O'Neills are a company first and foremost, they have to make money. Despite their special relationship with the GAA they are not affiliated officially to it in anyway (some people seem to think they are just a branch of the GAA) so why should they provide its members with discounts? Do you get a discount on Nike, Adidas or Canterbury stuff in shops because your local soccer or rugby club plays in their jerseys? No, didn't think so.

fred the red

Leo

Quote from: AFS on October 02, 2008, 12:08:03 AM

They may be over priced compared to more global brands like Adidas and Nike but facts are you are paying an extra fiver or so because the jerseys are made here in Ireland (Strabane) for a fair price, and not in Cambodia or Thailand by kids that earn 2p a day.

Regarding the jersey design, O'Neills only make them, the counties themselves have the final say in the design. If you don't like your county's jersey blame your county board not O'Neills.

Also, they should have a scheme were GAA Club Members get a discount on production of a valid membership card.

This is a ridiculous idea. O'Neills are a company first and foremost, they have to make money. Despite their special relationship with the GAA they are not affiliated officially to it in anyway (some people seem to think they are just a branch of the GAA) so why should they provide its members with discounts? Do you get a discount on Nike, Adidas or Canterbury stuff in shops because your local soccer or rugby club plays in their jerseys? No, didn't think so.

Good pr stuff for O'Neill's there.

You use the term "special relationship" and this is the problem. For special relationship read cosy cartel.

But are the jerseys really made in Strabane? My info is that they arrive there from foreign fields ready made and just have to be dyed. Is this correct?

Time for Addidas or Umbro to set up a "finishing" plant in N.I. - will they be accorded the same "special relationship"?

Also, my understanding is that County boards have little say on design other than selecting from the templates provided by O'Neills.
Fierce tame altogether

spiritof91and94

Quote from: AFS on October 02, 2008, 12:08:03 AM

Well if they didnt have the Gaa what would their turnover be - zero.
I was only suggesting a discount scheme that would entice Gaa members to give them more sales - have you ever brought four kids to an ONeills shop and bought them a strip each - £144 thats the cost - many other sport shops would give a discount if asked, for this sort of sale, Oneills staff just refuse it point blank which is obviously coming from management. Oneills profit margins on products must be huge to say the least and for you to defend them obviously indicates that  perhaps you are an employee in one of their sweat boxes. ;D

milltown row

their grip on the counties is tight, Oneills own the crests and if you are to move to another sports firm then you'd have to change it.

i'm for an open market, the gaelic gear stuff is not great but there is good discounts and clubs get money back off club sales.

as for quality, i've still got O'neills stuff from ten years ago, and they are great compared to the new gaelic gear stuff.

the green man

Quote from: milltown row on October 02, 2008, 04:31:51 PM
their grip on the counties is tight, Oneills own the crests

Are you sure about that. I was under the impression that the raft of new count crests that came into being, was the counties taking control of marketing and stuff.

milltown row

well they did, and still own the club crests, if your currently with them

Dulaney

O'Neills would get my vote hands down, was never that fussed with any off the Gaelic Gear stuff, it never seemed to fit right. O'Neill's have a firm hold over the whole business but they still produce high quality gear, have been impressed with some of the newer stuff they have produced for both club and county although it does tend to be a bit pricey, i wouldn't like to be kitting out 3/4 children

gorm agus bui

There is no question that when it come to quality O'Neills is superior to any local gear, though there are some quality stuff coming out (though obviously not jersies) from other companies.
The whole " Made in Ireland" thing is a nonsense though. O'Neills jersies are made in East Europe or elswwhere where labour is cheaper  like the rest of the companies and is brought here for finishing.
There are companies who have the same "Irishness" as O'neills and are left in limbo so CP can decide whether they fit the guaranteed irish bill.
A  bit of competition would do no harm though a lot of clubs are now only buying their jersies from O'Neills and all their training tops from OB Sports, Gaelic Gear, Liston Leisure, or that new company from Newry Embroidit as the only compulsion is that jersies must be o'neills, GG or Azzurri

illdecide

Gaelic Gear footballs are the worst ever made, surley they can come with something better than that. (F**k me just buy an O'Neills ball and copy the bastard)...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

guevara

My point is O'Neills bring out 2 or 3 designs a year and thats it. Counties are expected just to pick the design in their colours and be happy with it. Only Dublin seem to have any effort made over them and they tend to get designs a year or two before most other counties have the option (The faded jersey a few years ago & the new one with 3 stripes down sleeve)

Also how can O'Neills use the 3 stripes like adidas is this not a trademark?
With regard to the county crests all the counties basically redesigned their crests as most of the ones being used were in fact owned by the county councils. By redesigning their own crests county boards were entitled to the rights of it.

I'm not calling for O'Neills to be removed I'm just looking for the market to be opened up to other leading brands which no doubt would give O'Neills the good boot up the arse it needs and force them to work for their custom through better designs & better offers to clubs and parents alike.
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan