Armagh and Galway not allowed to play their quarter final in Croke Park

Started by orangeman, July 31, 2008, 11:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bensars

The title of the  thread is about Armagh and Galway.

Where do Dublin come into the equation ?    Theres more to the GAA than Dublin, Tankie !

Abble

an absolute disgrace if any winning provincial team do not get to play their quarter-final game at croke park.

from the minute the very first ball is thrown in at the mckenna cup, right thru the league and c'ship....as a supporter and a player this is where you are dreaming of getting to.

if i was a young player, who'd dreamt, from the first time he held and kicked an o'neills football or sliothar, that one day he (or she!) would play in croke park and then was told that after winning the provincial title that i didn't get to croke park and would be playing an all-ireland q-final elsewhere i'd be totally gutted. anything can happen to a team or anyone from one year to the next and that opportunity is then GONE in the bat of an eyelid !

this cant really happen can it !? history and previous success and number of appearances in recent years doesn't come into it...please tell me I am dreaming !

Oriel Man

Quote from: Tankie on July 31, 2008, 12:57:31 PM
Quote from: Bensars on July 31, 2008, 12:44:44 PM
They dont expect tankie.  They are !

You talk of Croke park as if Dublin own it.

No i dont but its no fair on dublin fans to miss out when they have been going all championship when there are other stadia available for these other games to take place!
Nobody mentioned Dublin Missing out. Nobody minds the Dublin QF being a stand-along game. Bue everybody want fairness, in having all QF's at Croker.

GalwayBayBoy

I think it's pretty bad form to be honest that provincial champions are not even going to get a day out in CP. That it is the Connacht and Ulster champions being shafted does not surprise me either.

corn02

Tankie - Armagh v Cavan - full house in Breffni

Armagh v Down - full house in Clones

Armagh v Fermanagh - full house in Clones
Armagh v Fermanagh replay - 95% capacity, excellent for a replay.

Dublin have not filled Croke Park yet, it should be a double header.

wobbller

Two IFs here!  If Down win and if Down draw Armagh--Why not Casement?

Throw ball

Is it not possible to have Armagh and Galway on Sat 9th with Dublin on the following Sat. That means Galway have two weeks to their possible semi and so would Dublin. Everyone would then get to play in Croke Park. Is there anything else on in Croke Park on the 16th. A concert maybe or a soccer or rugby match which may be more important than letting gaa players play there.

corn02

Quote from: wobbller on July 31, 2008, 01:24:23 PM

Wobbler, it is the most depressing stadium in the world, what can it  old 25k? Clon e would be more appropriate.

Maguire01

Quote from: corn02 on July 31, 2008, 01:26:20 PM
Quote from: wobbller on July 31, 2008, 01:24:23 PM

Wobbler, it is the most depressing stadium in the world, what can it  old 25k? Clon e would be more appropriate.
Holds 32k actually. But it is a dump.

western exile

I seem to remember somewhere in the small print of the qualifiers, that the quarter finals would always be played either in Croke Park or at a venue in the same province of the champions.  e.g. if Armagh were to draw Kerry, it would have to be in Ulster if not Croke Park.  I would have thought that Armagh would have a better chance against Kerry in Clones rather than in Dublin.
But they keep changing the rules of the qualifers each year that it is hard to keep up with the current one  ???

Of course this thread is a bit premature since we will not know the full quarter final makeup until Sunday evening.

Maguire01

I'd rather another venue outside Croker than to be doubled-up with the Dubs and get a tiny allocation of tickets to be honest.

Monaghan v Armagh in Clones anyone?  :P

Maradona

In fairness it is an absolute disgrace if Armagh or Galway don't get to play in Croke park next weekend.
I always defend the GAA as much as I can as it has enough mockers to be honest, but it sometimes has the unique ability to p**s on the very people who make it what it is.
The GAA need to get its fixture set-up sorted once and for all, particularly for games in Croker, PARTICULARLY given that soccer, rugby, etc is now being played there.
PARTICULARLY as it is not fair and equitable that Dublin play all their games there (yes I respect the crowd and finance the Dubs bring, but the GAA need to be seen to be fair given that Croke park is a totally unique experience for GAA players and therefore HAS to be an advantage).

As a rule (given the current qualifier set-up), the following games should, without any question, be played in Croke Park, irrespective of anticipated attendances (the GAA has enough gravy days to make up a short-fall in a number of other games that don't make the '40k mark')

FOOTBALL

AI FINAL

AI SEMI FINALS

AI QUARTER FINALS

NATIONAL LEAGUE FINAL

CLUB FINAL

HURLING

AI FINAL

AI SEMI FINALS

NATIONAL LEAGUE FINAL

CLUB FINAL

the GAA should build its master fixtures list  around these key fixtures and not have the ridiculous situation where there is a pile up at this time of year which is totally avoidable.

Finally, another thing that really gets my goat is the constant uncertainty of dates (never mind the venues) of fixtures. Like even though we know that the quarter finals are scheduled for the week after next, we still don't know what date your actual team will be playing on. Just filters through now that Dublin will deff play on Sat, Cork on Sunday. Just made up as they go along, CONSTANTLY DRIVEN TO MAX THEIR FINANCES OUT OF US, whilst showing a total lack of respect. How are you supposed to plan weekends, holidays, even work?

armaghniac

QuoteIs it not possible to have Armagh and Galway on Sat 9th with Dublin on the following Sat. That means Galway have two weeks to their possible semi and so would Dublin. Everyone would then get to play in Croke Park.

That's the solution.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tankie

Quote from: corn02 on July 31, 2008, 01:15:28 PM
Tankie - Armagh v Cavan - full house in Breffni

Armagh v Down - full house in Clones

Armagh v Fermanagh - full house in Clones
Armagh v Fermanagh replay - 95% capacity, excellent for a replay.

Dublin have not filled Croke Park yet, it should be a double header.

there was 81k at the last Dublin game and it is just stupid to say that it should be a double header.
Grand Slam Saturday!