McQuaid, how long will the ban be?

Started by his holiness nb, May 26, 2008, 12:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapatista

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on May 26, 2008, 01:30:28 PM
8 weeks for the offence

and another 12 weeks for being from Monaghan.

;D

That's a bit harsh now. Get real. 8 weeks for the offence? :)

thebandit

Quote from: orangeman on May 26, 2008, 01:35:35 PM
If he gets 4 weeks he won't miss anything and posters will say it's a joke.
If he gets 8 weeks, he'll miss a game or two and posters will say it's too harsh.

Perhaps it's time to bring in game bans.

Correct and right

Onlooker

I would think that 8 weeks would be right, but even if he gets away with 4 weeks, he will still have to miss one Championship match if not covered by the 4 or 8 weeks ban.

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: his holiness nb on May 26, 2008, 01:01:53 PM
Quote from: full back on May 26, 2008, 12:57:49 PM
Considering what some of the Dubs & Meath men got, you would have to say he should get 8 maybe 12 weeks.

this is the key question, many have said some of the Dubs / Meath bans were harsh. So are we looking for a ban thats appropriate, or appropriate in proportion to what the Dublin / Meath lads got?

The GAA are under some pressure now given the marker they have laid down, if they are to be consistant a very long ban must be implimented. But will they be harsher than they should be to be consistant?

note when I say "consistant" I dont necessarily mean right.

the gaa had to deal with the dub/meath clash due to so many players being involved. This was an individual offense compared to basically two teams having a go. For the sake of argument if that had been a Dublin player that had been hit by Mc Quaid , do you all think that a number of their players would have bailed in and started a mass brawl. It is hard to think they wouldn't have as that seems to be their method the past while.

Main Street

Quote from: Onlooker on May 26, 2008, 01:58:23 PM
I would think that 8 weeks would be right, but even if he gets away with 4 weeks, he will still have to miss one Championship match if not covered by the 4 or 8 weeks ban.
Is that so,  that a one championship game ban is compulsory even if it falls outside the time period of the ban?

his holiness nb

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on May 26, 2008, 02:00:39 PM
do you all think that a number of their players would have bailed in and started a mass brawl. It is hard to think they wouldn't have as that seems to be their method the past while.

Lets deal with what happened and how its dealt with rather than presume hypothetical situations.

When that happens, we will discuss it at its own merits.
Ask me holy bollix

INDIANA

so by some people's definitions it ok to try and trip somebody as long as you miss.
it's ok to kick somebody as long as it wasn't that hard.
and lamping somebody with a box - 4 weeks is acceptable?

absolute minumum of 8 and in my view it should be 12. rarely have i seen such a hare brained action on a pitch of consecutive offences. most people would be happy enough with one.

heffo

Quote from: INDIANA on May 26, 2008, 02:17:23 PM
so by some people's definitions it ok to try and trip somebody as long as you miss.

absolute minumum of 8 and in my view it should be 12. rarely have i seen such a hare brained action on a pitch of consecutive offences. most people would be happy enough with one.

I wonder whether Ian O'Riordan in the Times will describe it as a 'sickening punch', like he did a few weeks ago...

screenexile

Quote from: heffo on May 26, 2008, 02:43:17 PM

I wonder whether Ian O'Riordan in the Times will describe it as a 'sickening punch', like he did a few weeks ago...

What a stupid statement... who cares if a journalist refers to it as a 'sickening punch'... what has that got to do with the price of cabbage? He's hardly going to condone such a blatant act what difference does it make how he refers to it... more Dub siege mentality methinks!

AZOffaly

In fairness it was one of the most silly things I've seen. Given that he was already on a yellow card, I'd say there were at least three infringements there that would have seen him get the line. The first 'tackle', the kick out on the ground, and then the box. Lunacy. As for suspensions, I'd say it's a straightforward decision. Assuming it's his first offence of the year, and he is sent off for striking, It'll be a month + 1 championship game.

heffo

Quote from: screenexile on May 26, 2008, 02:55:49 PM
Quote from: heffo on May 26, 2008, 02:43:17 PM

What a stupid statement... who cares if a journalist refers to it as a 'sickening punch'... what has that got to do with the price of cabbage? He's hardly going to condone such a blatant act what difference does it make how he refers to it... more Dub siege mentality methinks!

You're entitled to your opinion...I'm just wondering whether we'll see the same faux-outrage...nothing to do with a siege mentality..

his holiness nb

which punch was meant to be "sickening" ?
Ask me holy bollix

heffo

his holiness nb

Ask me holy bollix

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on May 26, 2008, 02:00:39 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on May 26, 2008, 01:01:53 PM
Quote from: full back on May 26, 2008, 12:57:49 PM
Considering what some of the Dubs & Meath men got, you would have to say he should get 8 maybe 12 weeks.

this is the key question, many have said some of the Dubs / Meath bans were harsh. So are we looking for a ban thats appropriate, or appropriate in proportion to what the Dublin / Meath lads got?

The GAA are under some pressure now given the marker they have laid down, if they are to be consistant a very long ban must be implimented. But will they be harsher than they should be to be consistant?

note when I say "consistant" I dont necessarily mean right.

the gaa had to deal with the dub/meath clash due to so many players being involved. This was an individual offense compared to basically two teams having a go. For the sake of argument if that had been a Dublin player that had been hit by Mc Quaid , do you all think that a number of their players would have bailed in and started a mass brawl. It is hard to think they wouldn't have as that seems to be their method the past while.

Listen to Max from this,he knows what hes talking about, hed be an expert on fighting and suspensions seeing as hes from Bellaghy  :D