McQuaid, how long will the ban be?

Started by his holiness nb, May 26, 2008, 12:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

When will the Dubs realise the world does not revolve around them?

::)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

his holiness nb

Quote from: orangeman on May 26, 2008, 01:09:17 PM
Hold on a minute lads - let's not start guessing what he will get - it's as simple as this - he was sent off for striking - so he will get one month - FFS lads, you can't compare what Mc Quaid did to the Dublin v Meat thing - he got sent for for striking - he hot yer man a bit of a slap - nothing more -

All he will get is 4 weeks and that's all he deserves to get to be honest.

No you cant, the Dublin Meath thing was much worse as there were several players involved.

But we are down to the individual suspensions the Dublin and Meath players got. What McQuaid did, while not as bad overall as the Dubs Meath thing, was worse that most of the INDIVIDUALS who got banned in that game did.
Should the fact that people around him didnt fight make what he did less appaling, suspension wise?
Ask me holy bollix

his holiness nb

Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 26, 2008, 01:12:14 PM
When will the Dubs realise the world does not revolve around them?

::)

Au contraire Pints, my point is that it should maybe start revolving around McQuaid and monaghan for a week or so  ;)
Ask me holy bollix

stevo-08

Hold on a minute lads - let's not start guessing what he will get - it's as simple as this - he was sent off for striking - so he will get one month - FFS lads, you can't compare what Mc Quaid did to the Dublin v Meat thing - he got sent for for striking - he hot yer man a bit of a slap - nothing more -

Is there not an arguement for punishing him for the kick, which could mean 8 weeks under Category 3 infractions:
Striking with hurley, either with force or causing injury; Attempting to strike with hurley, with force; Kicking, either with force or causing injury; Attempting to Kick, with force; Stamping; Striking or attempting to strike with the head; Inflicting injury recklessly by means other than those stated above; Any type of assault on an Opposing Team Official.

By the letter of the law, he will probably get away with 4 weeks under Category 2 infractions. But for me, he should get 8 weeks.

orangeman

He was sent off for a striking offence - 4 weeks - it wasn't part of a brawl - we all know that the Dublin v Meath suspensions were at best influenced and at worst encouraged by Nicky Brennan coupled with the fact that it was on TV. Dublin had been walking a thin line all year and when the chance came along to hammer them, they got hammered along with whoever their oppostition was ( unfortunately it was Meath, but it could have been anybody ).

orangeman

Quote from: stevo-08 on May 26, 2008, 01:16:53 PM

Is there not an arguement for punishing him for the kick, which could mean 8 weeks under Category 3 infractions:
Striking with hurley, either with force or causing injury; Attempting to strike with hurley, with force; Kicking, either with force or causing injury; Attempting to Kick, with force; Stamping; Striking or attempting to strike with the head; Inflicting injury recklessly by means other than those stated above; Any type of assault on an Opposing Team Official.

By the letter of the law, he will probably get away with 4 weeks under Category 2 infractions. But for me, he should get 8 weeks.

He did not kick - there might have been an attempt to trip but there wasn't a kick.

Zapatista

That's fair enough HH and I'm sure I will like to contribute and I will defiantly read the thread. I do think it can all be discussed on the one thread as it is relevant to the match and I will be jumping from one to the other to read the comments on the same topic. I also don't think there is a need to start a thread on McQuaid getting sent off (i do realise this was a serious offence caught on camera) or the same could be applied to every sending off during the championship. If you wish to open a thread on discipline and punishment I think it would be a better but anything that facilatates the discussion the better.

INDIANA
"12 weeks minimum in my view. that was quite simply outrageous and if a dublin player did the same people here would be calling for a 6 month. ."
I agree there would be people calling for a huge ban if it where a Dublin player but those people should not have any influence on how long he should get or any Dub should get for a similar incident.

stevo-08

fair enough orangeman, he didnt "connect" with the kick. But do you honetly think he only deserves 4 weeks for a trip, attempted kick & a box to the face as the fermanagh man was getting up. I thought it was disgraceful.

take_yer_points

Quote from: stevo-08 on May 26, 2008, 01:21:38 PM
fair enough orangeman, he didnt "connect" with the kick. But do you honetly think he only deserves 4 weeks for a trip, attempted kick & a box to the face as the fermanagh man was getting up. I thought it was disgraceful.

Agreed. He definitely attempted a kick while they were both on the ground.

magpie seanie

I don't think there was force in the kick or attempted kick so Category 2 would be it I think. There is an argument for greater than the minimum suspension but it depends on whether you view the incident as a whole or 3 seperate offences (and more importantly how the people deciding on suspensions view them).

4 weeks would look a tad lenient, 8 weeks too severe.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Zapatista on May 26, 2008, 01:20:05 PM
I also don't think there is a need to start a thread on McQuaid getting sent off

If you wish to open a thread on discipline and punishment I think it would be a better

Gotcha Zaptista, I just presumed that this was the done thing given all the individual threads opened when theres an incident involving a Dub during a game.

On reflection you are probably right.
Ask me holy bollix

BallyhaiseMan

8 weeks for the offence

and another 12 weeks for being from Monaghan.

;D

orangeman

If he gets 4 weeks he won't miss anything and posters will say it's a joke.
If he gets 8 weeks, he'll miss a game or two and posters will say it's too harsh.

Perhaps it's time to bring in game bans.

saffron sam2

Quote from: orangeman on May 26, 2008, 01:35:35 PM
If he gets 4 weeks he won't miss anything and posters will say it's a joke.
If he gets 8 weeks, he'll miss a game or two and posters will say it's too harsh.

Perhaps it's time to bring in game bans.

Surely he misses at least the first qualifier involving Monaghan because of the straight red?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Croí na hÉireann

If the ref reports him for the kicking or not surely the CCCC can hammer him for it either way, IMO 8 weeks would be right. What did Cluxton get in 2003???
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...