McQuaid, how long will the ban be?

Started by his holiness nb, May 26, 2008, 12:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

his holiness nb

I'd be very interested to see how long a ban McQuaid of Monaghan gets after yesterdays sending off.
I dont wish to suggest he get any particular amount of time, but I'm sure the Dublin and Meath players currently serving 8 week bans will be looking on with great interest.

Apoligies for opening a seperate thread, but this is purely to compare whatever ban he gets with other intercounty players around the country.

I wonder will certain ex Meath playing reporters be suggesting 8 weeks wont be nearly enough?
Ask me holy bollix

Maguire01

I don't think anyone from Monaghan would argue that he deserves a decent ban.  It was extremely stupid (albeit out of character)and it was obvious he couldn't get away with it. I'd imagine he'd have to get 8 weeks - 4 weeks wouldn't even take us to the first round of the qualifiers.

feetofflames

He deserves a minimum of 8 weeks, because he needs to learn to control that red mist of his.  He wanted off that field, the head had gone, but you cant start milling about like a psycho.  If I was Monaghan management Id be leaving him off until he can be trusted again.  
Chief Wiggum

Jinxy

2 kicks and a punch. Is it possible to contribute to a melee that just involves yourself?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Zapatista

I don't think this should be in a thread of its own. It is already being discussed on the other thread. The comparison of suspension can be done when we know the suspension but until then it should remain in the Monaghan V Fermanagh thread.

INDIANA

12 weeks minimum in my view. that was quite simply outrageous and if a dublin player did the same people here would be calling for a 6 month. firstly he tried to put his studs down the bakc of mc cabe's leg by tripping him, then when he was on the ground he kicked mc cabe and when mc cabe regained his footing he lamped him with a box. absolute minimum 12 weeks.

his holiness nb

Quote from: Zapatista on May 26, 2008, 12:35:59 PM
I don't think this should be in a thread of its own. It is already being discussed on the other thread. The comparison of suspension can be done when we know the suspension but until then it should remain in the Monaghan V Fermanagh thread.

Zaptista, this thread is for people to discuss what sort of suspensions they think should be given out to McQuaid in the current climate. If you dont want to contribute then feel free to ignore it.

I dont see any harm in people stating in advance what type of punishment they think would be appropriate.

Given what has happened so far this year, I think its a topic worthy of discussion outside of the match thread as recent developments have made this a more general GAA topic.
Ask me holy bollix

magpie seanie

I would imagine he will be reported for a Category 2 infraction ("....Kicking or attempting to kick, with minimal force; Striking, or attempting to strike with arm, elbow, hand or knee;....). Assuming he has no previously dismissal for this type of infraction in the past 48 weeks (playing for Monaghan) the minimum suspension is 4 weeks.

full back

Considering what some of the Dubs & Meath men got, you would have to say he should get 8 maybe 12 weeks.
Although if Banty has any sense he wont play him for Monaghan again this year. He is no use to the lads on the field if he is a liability

Maguire01

Funny thing is, from looking at the Sunday game last night, i thought McCabe was raising his own hand in retaliation only McQuaid got there first! (Obviously not trying to condone this, and i may be totally off the mark, but that was my observation from the replay)

his holiness nb

Quote from: full back on May 26, 2008, 12:57:49 PM
Considering what some of the Dubs & Meath men got, you would have to say he should get 8 maybe 12 weeks.

this is the key question, many have said some of the Dubs / Meath bans were harsh. So are we looking for a ban thats appropriate, or appropriate in proportion to what the Dublin / Meath lads got?

The GAA are under some pressure now given the marker they have laid down, if they are to be consistant a very long ban must be implimented. But will they be harsher than they should be to be consistant?

note when I say "consistant" I dont necessarily mean right.
Ask me holy bollix

Main Street

On Sunday other players didn't get involved in retaliation, they let the ref deal with it.

The whole tackle and assault was worth about 2 yellows as well as a  straight red.
(McQuaid should definitly get 4 or 6 weeks more than what Vaughan got for punching Freeman)

I think 8 weeks would take us up the first qualifier.
Certainly it was a dirthy foul punch as the Fermanagh player was just getting up but you'd have to agree, in boxing terms,  it's execution (with no back lift) was as clean as you get.

Maguire01

Is there any chance they can also be swayed by impact and publicity?  i.e. a mass brawl is a much bigger headline than an incident involving a single player/2 players?  I'm not saying that's the right attitude, but one incident may carry significantly higher reputational damage to the organisation than the other.

magpie seanie

QuoteIs there any chance they can also be swayed by impact and publicity?

That would never happen, would it?  ;D

orangeman

Hold on a minute lads - let's not start guessing what he will get - it's as simple as this - he was sent off for striking - so he will get one month - FFS lads, you can't compare what Mc Quaid did to the Dublin v Meat thing - he got sent for for striking - he hot yer man a bit of a slap - nothing more -

All he will get is 4 weeks and that's all he deserves to get to be honest.