The greatest Cavan footballer since 1980

Started by The Bottom Brick, November 21, 2006, 04:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is the greatest Cavan footballer since 1980?

Derek McDonnell
0 (0%)
Dermot McCabe
5 (17.9%)
Ronan Carolan
2 (7.1%)
Stephen King
3 (10.7%)
Damien O Reilly
5 (17.9%)
Ray Cullivan
0 (0%)
Bernard Morris
2 (7.1%)
Peter Reilly
0 (0%)
None of the above
11 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: November 25, 2006, 04:29:38 PM

The Bottom Brick

The other half back that year was Edward Jackson, a fella I never rated that highly.

He looked great with the ball in hand but he wasn't much of a defender. I remember Tommy Freeman was about 19 and he came off the bench at half time against Monaghan and got four points from play off Jackson.

He dropped off the panel and came back later, I think he was tried at wing forward but to little avail.

Doonan was very good in 2001, definitely. Forde was outstanding, he was the best centre back in the country that year.

Michael Brides was in his first year and did well at corner back, holding Shane Ward, Declan Smyth and Canavan in Ulster. Paul Galligan did very well at wing forward and even the much derided Barry McCrudden had a stormer in the Ulster final (albeit because the two Tyrone midfielders were watching mccabe, who beat Monaghan on his own in the semi).

Only five years ago, but a completely different team.
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

BallyhaiseMan

Stephen King or Damien Reily for me mmmmmmm......
il go for Damien Reily.

The Bottom Brick

33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

cavanmaniac

It's a major 'what if' for me about Connolly. How we could have been doing with his steel and determination against Kerry in the 97 semi...but he didn't do the work and had to be turfed out. I'd say he's a sorry man blew his chance of being part of our only Ulster SFC winning team in 28 years or whatever it was.

Shame but like alot of other very talented players, just didn't have the discipline. If he was playing under McElkennon though, he'd have been carried despite his excesses.

The Bottom Brick

QuoteIf he was playing under McElkennon though, he'd have been carried despite his excesses.

Excellent point.
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

BallyhaiseMan

Connolly was one of the most talented footballers we have had since 1980...
but he doesnt deserve to go even be compared with the likes of King and Damien O Reily who done it for their county for 10/15 years.
There is a difference between "having talent" and actually doing the business Bottom Brick.
Maybe you should keep that in mind the next time you attempt one of your pathetic jibes.

cavan4ever

i don't like this thread.  Can we call any of them players greats?  Best cavan footballer since 1980 might have been better . anyone agree with me

anglocelt39

The Butts story is what makes the GAA what it is. Every county in Ireland has it's un-fulfilled genius, as befits an organisation that expects everything from it's players but does not, always, give a lot in return apart from a few slaps on the back or a bit of abuse depending on the weather, witness the Eoin Kelly debate down Waterford way at the moment. You can have no doubt that as Aidan reaches the pipe and slippers stage of his life he will have many regrets, but such is life. As we know, a lot of tough stuff happened around his club at that stage which can't have helped things. For the sake of Cavan football it's a real shame that the Bailieboro team of the mid 90's disappeared without trace so quickly-coincided with one of the better periods for the county team. Lets just say a combination of a few of those lads and some Gowna/Mullahoran stalwarts gave us a bit of "spine".

Excellent point made by somebody that there are probably a number of fellas in the current panel who would be long gone if McHugh's approach to Connolly was the standard. Say's it all really. When you look back on it, wee Martin really had his finger on the pulse, resigning the day after our defeat against Kerry.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

liihb

Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

anglocelt39

Re: The greatest Cavan footballer since 1980
« Reply #25 on: Today at 10:58:22 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rory Gallagher     

Think you're on the wrong thread mate, am sure there is one somewhere for best cork blues guitarist with donegal parentage since the war of independence which is where you need to go. Mind you we have a Rory Gallagher lookalike who is a sometime member of the current Cavan panel Mad Eddie Reilly of Mullahoran Dreadnoughts fame. However the only votes Eddie is getting is best Cavan Player with a 1970's hairstyle since 1980, alternatively the Anthony Gaynor award for occasional appearance of red mist.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

BallyhaiseMan

id like to know the opinions of some of those who some of those who voted none of the above in the poll.

cavan4ever

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on November 24, 2006, 02:54:43 PM
id like to know the opinions of some of those who some of those who voted none of the above in the poll.

i wouldn't blame anyone 4 picking "none of the above".  i did pick someone but i don't rate any of them as great players.

To be rated a  great player i reckon that someone has to be consistantly brillant over a long period of time. i'm afraid most of them were bad or not good enough for more time that they were good.

BallyhaiseMan

in fairness id rate Stephen King , Damien Reily and Jim Reily as great players because they did alot for Cavan over 10-15 years often without much along the way of help....
Thought both of them were magnificant footballers and being only over 20 years old,i didnt even see them at their best!!!
None of the current players are anything approaching greats.
so i can see where you are coming from Cavan4ever even if i disagree about those three anyway.