Mayo v Westmeath Round 4B

Started by Farrandeelin, July 18, 2016, 08:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 22, 2016, 11:31:11 AM
We've a couple of injuries and a light panel but I think we'll give a better account than we managed against Fermanagh last year. We had all the hallmarks of a team who were over trained in that second half and hopefully we'll be fresher tomorrow week.

What's the support from Westmeath looking like? Will there be a fair crowd going? I know the inlaws are making the effort they did not make for the Leinster final. With Mayo losing to Galway, they feel they might have a chance.

macdanger2

Realistically, if Mayo play as well as we can, we should win this by 4+. However, midfield was brutal the last day so we'll struggle if we get a repeat of that. Heslin is a quality footballer who'd make most teams - has he been playing at MF or in the forwards this year? Him and Martin will need watching.

I presume Westmeath will play a sweeper (maybe 2?) so hopefully we'll see some decent off the shoulder running and good showing from our inside line to break them down. At the other end, I'd love to see Higgins & McLoughlin switching places but I can't see if happening. Assuming they play as previously, you'd expect them to look more comfortable in these roles.

moysider

A bit of a timely boost - badly needed - is that Parsons, Barrett and Loftus are officially fit again.

How long they remain fit is another thing! They've had an awful run of injuries.

highorlow

Who will be our full back? Donie?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Tubberman

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 25, 2016, 08:53:47 PM
We've a couple of injuries and a light panel but I think we'll give a better account than we managed against Fermanagh last year. We had all the hallmarks of a team who were over trained in that second half and hopefully we'll be fresher tomorrow week.

What's the support from Westmeath looking like? Will there be a fair crowd going? I know the inlaws are making the effort they did not make for the Leinster final. With Mayo losing to Galway, they feel they might have a chance.

Probably be less than the Leinster Final what with it being a Saturday and club players annoyed at the championship being postponed last weekend.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

The Aristocrat

Id say Mayo by 15 or more points with a full team or half a team.

blast05

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 26, 2016, 09:49:52 AM

Probably be less than the Leinster Final what with it being a Saturday and club players annoyed at the championship being postponed last weekend.

But yet a round odd the intermediate championship went ahead at the weekend involving a number panelists ....found that very strange that it wasn't postponed

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: blast05 on July 26, 2016, 10:01:15 AM

But yet a round odd the intermediate championship went ahead at the weekend involving a number panelists ....found that very strange that it wasn't postponed

Junior as well, no first 15 involved though

shark

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 26, 2016, 10:13:14 AM
Quote from: blast05 on July 26, 2016, 10:01:15 AM

Junior as well, no first 15 involved though

Club players (at least in my club) not a annoyed that it was postponed. Annoyed however that it was fixed the previous week, and then postponed. Should never have been fixed in first place, nobody expected it to be on.

Anyway, I don't think that anger will affect attendances greatly. There will be about 5/6000 Westmeath supporters I reckon.

Croí na hÉireann

Hopefully we can keep the ball kicked out to ye

Tubberman

You wouldn't want to be listening to that clown for football analysis - nobody in Mayo does anyway.
He had some sort of personal vendetta against Horan as well, not that anybody paid any attention. A terrible writer for a terrible paper.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Croí na hÉireann

Martin Carney very much so knows his shit.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 27, 2016, 10:01:08 AM
Martin Carney very much so knows his shit.

Not Martin  that wrote piece!

yellowcard

If Mayo are to have any errand against either Dublin or Tyrone the following week they will need to win this by at least 12 points given that Westmeath are a division 4 team next season. Form cannot be turned on and off like a tap however, and I expect they might find it tougher than that though they will probably come through with 6 or 7 points to spare. In terms of Westmeath they have probably achieved what any county in Leinster (on the right side of the draw) set out to at the start of the season ie. get to a Leinster final.