Mayo v Westmeath Round 4B

Started by Farrandeelin, July 18, 2016, 08:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: ck on July 30, 2016, 10:25:00 PM
Mayo did enough today. Ok they let Westmeath back in but to suggest Tyrone will have it easy is ridiculous.

Tyrone will have an easy win if Mayo perform like they have against Galway, Fermanagh and Westmeath.

Andy had a fine game but when he and Dillon (he looked like he was in slow motion when he was running..) are featuring so heavily you know Rochford feels he's out of options.

Tyrone no barn burners themselves struggling over that shot Donegal team and Cavan but Mayo's decline has the air of something terminal. Galway with a real chance to luck into an AI final this year.

BennyHarp

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 31, 2016, 12:20:25 AM
From a neutral perspective at this this match, if Mayo don't have a massive turn around in the space of a week they haven't a notion of beating Tyrone.
I thought Mayo would eat up teams in the qualifiers, they are only just getting by, Westmeath were in with a punchers chance with only 5 minutes to go, crazy stuff for a team that has designs on Sam.

Mayo are coming into the quarter finals more battle hardened than they have been in years. I wouldn't read too much into the previous games, a team who has been operating at All Ireland final and semi final level for as long as this mayo team know they only have to do just enough to beat the likes of Fermanagh and Westmeath. If this Mayo bunch have anything about them at all they will produce the goods next weekend when it matters. I hope they do because I genuinely feel that it could be an absolute barn stormer and another box ticked for an improving Tyrone!
That was never a square ball!!

PW Nally

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 31, 2016, 12:35:42 AM
If this Mayo bunch have anything about them at all they will produce the goods next weekend when it matters. I hope they do because I genuinely feel that it could be an absolute barn stormer and another box ticked for an improving Tyrone!
So you want Mayo to turn up and give the mighty Tyrone a game of it! You Tyrone bucks are setting this team on some pedestal after 1 Ulster title.
Mayo need to prolong the short bursts we are playing in recently and tighten up considerably defensively.

BennyHarp

Quote from: PW Nally on July 31, 2016, 07:31:49 AM
If this Mayo bunch have anything about them at all they will produce the goods next weekend when it matters. I hope they do because I genuinely feel that it could be an absolute barn stormer and another box ticked for an improving Tyrone!
So you want Mayo to turn up and give the mighty Tyrone a game of it! You Tyrone bucks are setting this team on some pedestal after 1 Ulster title.
Mayo need to prolong the short bursts we are playing in recently and tighten up considerably defensively.

No, I want it to be a good game. If Mayo played like they did yesterday in the second half, Tyrone will put 10 points on them. I think even the blindest of Mayo fans would admit that!

Lar Naparka

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 31, 2016, 07:46:06 AM
Quote from: PW Nally on July 31, 2016, 07:31:49 AM

No, I want it to be a good game. If Mayo played like they did yesterday in the second half, Tyrone will put 10 points on them. I think even the blindest of Mayo fans would admit that!
I have to agree with that.
Ever since James Horan took on the gig, Mayo are very likely to go through a period where they up their game considerably and dominate the game completely.
Then just as surely they lose the plot and allow opponents back into the game once more. Sometimes, like yesterday, they have managed to survive and hang in to the final whistle.  Other games they don't, like the Connacht final.
This has been the story right through since 2011 and maybe before that at times also. Unfortunately,
can't see things been different next weekend.
<sigh>
Ah, well, what's another year.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

larryin89

Please stop talkin if ya know.

Tyrone are absolute certs, put whayever you like on them.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

BennyHarp

i don't think it came across correctly in the post earlier, but I have genuine concerns about facing Mayo. Perhaps the bit about ticking a box came across badly, what I meant was that beating Donegal was a monkey off our backs - box ticked, beating a perennial AI contender like Mayo is another boxed ticked with respect to the progress of this Tyrone team.

BennyHarp

Quote from: larryin89 on July 31, 2016, 10:02:48 AM
Please stop talkin if ya know.

Tyrone are absolute certs, put whayever you like on them.

That's the great thing about this Larry......We don't know! And the whole point of a discussion board is to discuss it. Make yourself feel better all you want by saying ah sure you Tyrone ones think you'll win easy. But the thing about this game is that nobody knows what mayo team will show up or if Tyrone can maintain their form, but I'd be pretty sure that a second half like yesterday will leave mayo struggling!

skeog

Mayo look like a team who are lacking in confidence at the moment. Tyrone have struggled in the past with Mayo. Whoever wins next Saturday will have serious momentum going forward.