An Mhí Vs Baile Átha Cliath - Cluiche Ceannais Laighean 22/07/12

Started by thejuice, July 02, 2012, 09:20:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: thejuice on July 23, 2012, 08:13:09 AM
I know its not a new phenomenon but our lads being rugby tackled to the ground at the end is particularly bad for the game and perhaps some sending offs would be an effective deterrent.

I'd agree with you there - we were a point down to Kerry in 2007 with a minute to, Shane Ryan through on goal and the king of football purists The Gooch rugby tackled him down.

thejuice

Quote from: Ard-Rí on July 22, 2012, 11:42:33 PM
But for one minute, we had Dublin. I don't buy this 3rd, 4th, 5th gear shite that's being peddled around here, Dublin gave today as good a shot as they'll give any other team in the tournament. Great spirit to fight back, but credit the Dubs, when their backs were against the wall, they came back up and got a lovely point, nearly two. Give us time, this group will be a serious team. Didn't see TSG analysis, but I doubt I missed anything insightful.

But the subs Dublin made had disrupted their rhythm and it was really then we got back into it. hard to really judge our performance. Thought our backs did quite well man on man though. 

I remember when we hammered Kerry back in 2001, Eamon Fitzmaurice for Kerry getting sent off for a similar rugby type tackle. that said Kerry were beat at that stage.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

heffo

Hardy

We did better than I expected, but only on the scoreboard. The ten-point deficit at one stage of the second half was about the right reflection of the difference between the teams. The hope raised by the performance against Kildare that a game plan was emerging was dashed. All our lads played their hearts out but everyone was playing to his own agenda. There was no tactical reaction on the sideline to events on the pitch. It took 55 minutes of being overrun in midfield for someone to notice and decide something should be done.

There were a lot of strange aspects to the game that would have you shaking your head. Nobody told our lads, especially the smallest of them, that it's not good to keep carrying into contact with musclebound Dubliners only to be picked up and shaken like a rat by a terrier until you drop the ball. Eoghan O'Gara, bursting up the play like a big dog chasing tennis balls in a room full of toddlers, caused mayhem and panic and Bernard Brogan gave a master class, but still you couldn't say our defenders played badly. Likewise, Graham Reilly caused equal mayhem and panic when he ran at Dublin, but you found yourself wondering what goes on in his head. For instance, it's the last kick of the game, we're a goal down, we take a quick free and Graham shoots for a point. What?

All in all, there was a kind of phoney war ambience about the thing. There was little at stake except bragging rights. Dublin definitely don't want to be playing their best football in July and both teams go through to the next stage of the championship. It's a far cry from the blood and thunder days when it was life or death in football terms and you felt that in the stands and on the terraces.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Hardy on July 23, 2012, 11:28:20 AM
All in all, there was a kind of phoney war ambience about the thing. There was little at stake except bragging rights. Dublin definitely don't want to be playing their best football in July and both teams go through to the next stage of the championship. It's a far cry from the blood and thunder days when it was life or death in football terms and you felt that in the stands and on the terraces.

Felt the same to me Hardy, very poor atmosphere for a Leinster Final between two sworn enemies. Probably due to the fans not believing in Banty and by association the team. Even the Dubs were somewhat muted apart from the couple of minutes before half time. Teams (and the fans now) are just focussed on getting to the quarters and then the championship really starts.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AQMP

Quote from: heffo on July 23, 2012, 08:36:48 AM
Quote from: thejuice on July 23, 2012, 08:13:09 AM
I know its not a new phenomenon but our lads being rugby tackled to the ground at the end is particularly bad for the game and perhaps some sending offs would be an effective deterrent.

I'd agree with you there - we were a point down to Kerry in 2007 with a minute to, Shane Ryan through on goal and the king of football purists The Gooch rugby tackled him down.

Did Gooch then roll around holding his face??

Declan

QuoteQuote from: Hardy on Today at 11:28:20 AM

Felt the same to me Hardy, very poor atmosphere for a Leinster Final between two sworn enemies. Probably due to the fans not believing in Banty and by association the team. Even the Dubs were somewhat muted apart from the couple of minutes before half time. Teams (and the fans now) are just focussed on getting to the quarters and then the championship really starts.

The back door has definitely taken the edge out of the games

QuoteEoghan O'Gara, bursting up the play like a big dog chasing tennis balls in a room full of toddlers,

classic - I'll use that one!

Jinxy

The atmosphere was a bit like the game a few years ago when the young lad Davoren did his cruciate. It just kind of meandered along with no one being in any doubt who was going to win, then suddenly it sprang to life in the last few minutes.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: Jinxy on July 23, 2012, 03:00:48 PM
The atmosphere was a bit like the game a few years ago when the young lad Davoren did his cruciate. It just kind of meandered along with no one being in any doubt who was going to win, then suddenly it sprang to life in the last few minutes.

Great one liner if the GAA decide to do erectile ads  ;)