Muineachán v An Dún - 24/06/12, Ard Mhacha

Started by Maguire01, June 09, 2012, 12:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

western exile

A worrying thing for Down that was noticeable in Enniskillen was a lack of scores from of a left footed free taker.
Let's hope that Monaghan only concede frees within the range of Aidan Carr  :-\

Maguire01

Quote from: FarneyMan on June 21, 2012, 04:40:12 PM
A strong 15 i think.........

1 Mark Keogh Seán Mac Diarmada
2 Drew Wylie Béal Átha Beithe
3 Vinnie Corey Cluain Tiobraid
4 Colin Walshe Dubhthamlacht
5 D Hughes An Bhoth
6 Dessie Mone Cluain Tiobraid
7 K O Connell Tigh Thalainn
8 Owen Lennon Leachtain
9 Dick Clerkin Curracháin
10 Pete Dooney Acadh na Muileann
11 S Gollogly Carraig Mhacaire Rois
12 J Turley An Bhoth
13 K Hughes An Bhoth
14 Paul Finlay Béal Atha Beithe
15 C Mc Manus Cluain Tiobraid
That's pretty much as good as you could have hoped for. Leaves Freeman, Hanratty and McGuinness as strong options in the forwards. Great to have Hughes and Finlay back and i'd be happy enough to have Freeman coming off the bench if needed, rather than starting and having to be substituted.

Sleater

I heard that the squad is flying fit and played well in a draw against Mayo last week. It's the most optimistic I've been about Monaghan in a while. Freeman will definetly play a part. Still it is Down we're playing and they've always been very difficult for Monaghan to beat. Still a very difficult task.

Aristo 60

Seem to remember Monaghan were susceptible to the high ball into the ff line in the mckenna cup in clones. Not sure that option open to down with the current starting line up. Maybe it''ll be McConville's turn to take his place on the edge of the square after the end of the match parade  ????

GrandMasterFlash

Tommy starts, Jap moves out to the 40, Kiernan Hughes moves to FF, Dooney or Gollogly move to the bench..

Main Street

sammymaguire

DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Maguire01

Quote from: Main Street on June 23, 2012, 09:20:29 AM
That's great news GMF.
I don't think it's news, rather his analysis of what's likely to happen.

Personally, I don't think Freeman will start (and i'd prefer he didn't if he's not fit for 70 minutes) and unfortunately, McEnaney will probably persist with playing Jap at 14, at least for the first 10-15 minutes. He's been making this mistake all year.

Maguire01

Today's Indo has a story headlined "Farney men can finally give fans something to shout about"... but it also reckons Monaghan played in Division 3 this year and Finlay came on as a sub against Antrim.

Main Street

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 23, 2012, 11:41:36 AM
That's great news GMF.
Ah well, it was just a guess and not so likely. Sounded good though.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Main Street on June 23, 2012, 01:58:38 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on June 23, 2012, 11:41:36 AM
That's great news GMF.
Ah well, it was just a guess and not so likely. Sounded good though.

Yes, I had my two beers hypothetical head on! Jap and Tommy still not 100, neither took part in recent challenge game against Mayo. McGuinness is the man who will start in the FF line I'd imagine, if neither make it. Finlay on the 40 though.. I don't get why he's ever played on the edge of the square, apart from the odd interchange perhaps.. We've no other CHF to pull the strings though, not since Rory Woods left the arena..

Looking forward to it though. The spirit is good in the Mon camp. It'll be a very tight game though and could go either road.. I'm gonna nail them though.. Mon by 2.

Maguire01

I think it's a hard one to call. The bookies appear certain that Down will walk it, yet two previews in The Irish News today tip Monaghan. I think Monaghan can edge it, especially with Hughes back. Hopefully there's a big crowd and good atmosphere.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 23, 2012, 07:44:21 PM
I think it's a hard one to call. The bookies appear certain that Down will walk it, yet two previews in The Irish News today tip Monaghan. I think Monaghan can edge it, especially with Hughes back. Hopefully there's a big crowd and good atmosphere.

Yeah, Monaghan are damned good value at 15/8.. I'm not a betting man though and if I start now I'll likely jinx them!  ;)

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 23, 2012, 11:47:30 AM
Today's Indo has a story headlined "Farney men can finally give fans something to shout about"... but it also reckons Monaghan played in Division 3 this year and Finlay came on as a sub against Antrim.

Is that article online Maguire01? I can't locate it..

Maguire01

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on June 23, 2012, 08:16:02 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on June 23, 2012, 11:47:30 AM

Is that article online Maguire01? I can't locate it..
Didn't see it online - read it on their iPhone app.