Muineachán v An Dún - 24/06/12, Ard Mhacha

Started by Maguire01, June 09, 2012, 12:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Any venue for this? Assuming Newry if not neutral and Armagh if it is?

western exile

Semi finals always neutral.  Previously this pairing  would have met at Casement Park. However, now that the Athletic Grounds have been reopened that would be a more suitable option.

Main Street

Quote from: western exile on June 09, 2012, 11:15:46 AM
Semi finals always neutral.  Previously this pairing  would have met at Casement Park. However, now that the Athletic Grounds have been reopened that would be a more suitable option.
Is it for sure that semi finals are always played at a neutral venue?

seafoid

If Monaghan win their next 2 matches they'll be Ulster Champions. It's about time they did it again.

babarino

I'd prefer Casement as a neutral venue. Monaghan have done well there the last few times and a lot of the current squad would have had plenty of games there.

I know from talking to Down supporters, they are very confident of making the Ulster Final. While not dismissive of the Monaghan challenge they understandably point to the big recent wins against us in the League and McKenna cup. The form guide points to a Down win.

Hopefully we'll come out firing on all cylinders and buck the trend.

borderfox

Quote from: babarino on June 09, 2012, 07:39:36 PM
I'd prefer Casement as a neutral venue. Monaghan have done well there the last few times and a lot of the current squad would have had plenty of games there.

I know from talking to Down supporters, they are very confident of making the Ulster Final. While not dismissive of the Monaghan challenge they understandably point to the big recent wins against us in the League and McKenna cup. The form guide points to a Down win.

Hopefully we'll come out firing on all cylinders and buck the trend.

Armagh thought similarly in 2010 and got humped. Monaghan are most dangerous when they are written off, I can see them winning this one.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Main Street

Quote from: borderfox on June 10, 2012, 01:39:57 AM

Armagh thought similarly in 2010 and got humped. Monaghan are most dangerous when they are written off, I can see them winning this one.
When Monaghan are written off, there are usually good reasons for doing so, afair we were not written off in 2010 before that Armagh game, except by ignoramuses.

Possibly the 4 weeks period since the win again against Antrim will work partly in our favour and offer some hope. There's a few important players like Finlay and Darren Hughes nursing injuries and both are still not fit. There's a few more like Freeman and McManus on the way back to being match sharp.
As it stands now, Down have every right to be confident of getting through, without too much fuss.

Maguire01

Aristo 60

Watching the Armagh/Tyrone game I saw a dozen or so empty seats at the rear of the MAG stand. I was up near these seats for Down's legaue game and couldn't believe the obstructed view from them.   

Cold tea

Quote from: Aristo 60 on June 12, 2012, 12:12:14 PM
Watching the Armagh/Tyrone game I saw a dozen or so empty seats at the rear of the MAG stand. I was up near these seats for Down's legaue game and couldn't believe the obstructed view from them.

Agree, you would be as well as home as in some off these seats, totally crap they shouldnt be sold to the public especially the ones up tight to the commentary box.

Bingo

For Monaghan to have any chance in this they'll need to have all their players back fully fit - Darren Hughes and Paul Finlay. Hopefully the other walking wounded that played the last day will also be sharper with a few games behind them - Walshe, Freeman, McManus, Corey, Mone.

Still given form and recent results, you'd expect Down to be favourites.

Armagh a good choice, should be a big crowd and with location of spectators so close to the action, could be a redhot atmosphere.

Down by 3.

Sleater

Quote from: Bingo on June 12, 2012, 01:03:25 PM
For Monaghan to have any chance in this they'll need to have all their players back fully fit - Darren Hughes and Paul Finlay. Hopefully the other walking wounded that played the last day will also be sharper with a few games behind them - Walshe, Freeman, McManus, Corey, Mone.

Still given form and recent results, you'd expect Down to be favourites.

Armagh a good choice, should be a big crowd and with location of spectators so close to the action, could be a redhot atmosphere.

Down by 3.

Darren Hughes scored a goal in Scotstown's SFL game at the weekend. He'll be playing against Down. Finlay didn't line out for Ballybay for Ballybay's SFC game so he is still in doubt. Lennon, McManus, Corey, Mone should be much sharper after their injuries. Walsh is in absolutely flying form at the moment. I seen a contrast between county squad members Matthew McKenna and Paul McArdle in a recent league game - McKenna was as anonymous as he was in Antrim game and McArdle was on fire. If McArdle was a bit fitter he'd be a starter for Monaghan, he's a good a left foot as Finlay.

Maguire01

blueannavy

Maguire01