Wexford v The Dubs. Leinster Final

Started by boro, July 01, 2011, 12:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

If & it's a big if Dublin lose this game any chance of getting Dublin to play outside of Croke park in round 4 of the qualifiers?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

Not a hope. ;D ;D
They'll be part of a double header with Meath or Kildare if they make it that far.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

heffo

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 08, 2011, 05:24:37 PM
If & it's a big if Dublin lose this game any chance of getting Dublin to play outside of Croke park in round 4 of the qualifiers?

You'd have to ask the CCCC - I'd love to have a game outside Croke Park though.

Declan

Cork in pairc hi caoimh!!! Memories of smoking Joe.

Jinxy

Anyone hear what Gilroy said about O'Gara?
He reckons he's just too strong for his own good and every time he touches someone they go flying.
Hulk smash.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Offalylad

Shamrock Shore

QuoteI'd love to have a game outside Croke Park though

Dubs in Wexford, Dubs in Longford in Leinster
Dubs in Parnell v London, Carrick on Shannon v Leitrim and Port Laoise v Longford
Dubs v Kerry in Semple in Qualifiers

were all great occasions in the past 8 or so years.

I'll never forget the square in Port Laoise in 2004 thronged with Dubs playing 400 a side football with 2 Gardai looking on having a laugh

Dubs trip to Cork in 83 is the stuff of legend if you were to believe some of the stories I've heard.

heffo

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 08, 2011, 11:00:41 PM
QuoteI'd love to have a game outside Croke Park though

Dubs in Wexford, Dubs in Longford in Leinster
Dubs in Parnell v London, Carrick on Shannon v Leitrim and Port Laoise v Longford
Dubs v Kerry in Semple in Qualifiers

were all great occasions in the past 8 or so years.

I'll never forget the square in Port Laoise in 2004 thronged with Dubs playing 400 a side football with 2 Gardai looking on having a laugh

Dubs trip to Cork in 83 is the stuff of legend if you were to believe some of the stories I've heard.

Clones v Derry in 2003 was a great day too - I've a pain in my hole with Croke Park tbh  - never thought I'd say it..

Shamrock Shore

Forgot the Derry game in Clones. Have they been all the Dubs matches outside Croker in the Championship since 2000?

heffo

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 08, 2011, 11:14:36 PM
Forgot the Derry game in Clones. Have they been all the Dubs matches outside Croker in the Championship since 2000?

Thats the lot but Dubs played Wexford in Carlow in 2002 - not in Wexford - same day Ireland played Cameroon.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: Jinxy on July 08, 2011, 07:54:43 PM
Anyone hear what Gilroy said about O'Gara?
He reckons he's just too strong for his own good and every time he touches someone they go flying.
Hulk smash.

He just doesn't know his own strength  ;D, hes a strong lad alright, just needs to reign it in a little, really looking forward to this game now, I reckon its going to be a high scoring affair....................we need a big big 70 min performance from fennell, to show us can he fill a void left by our best midfielder in years  ................. :(

Croí na hÉireann

This has the potential to be a very open game, Wexford are a serious team from the half back line up and will match the Dubs for fitness and workrate. Both teams weaknesses lie in their full back lines, the Dubs will employ their strategy of everyone dropping back to protect theirs but it's what Wexford will do that is interesting. The done thing is to play a sweeper in front of Brogan but I think Ryan is too smart to do that. Brogan has learned to cope with 2 men trying to mark him and you're better off accepting that he's gonna score 2 to 5 from play and try to limit them elsewhere. Their workrate around the middle third is tremendous and if they can put enough pressure on the ball coming in they might get lucky. Lyng should be told to stay inside and if they can isolate him on any of the corner backs he will score. Goals are the secret to beating this Dublin team though and Wexford must convert any chances that arise to win. If they had a better full back line I would give them the nod but I fear it will be their undoing, Dubs by 2.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Shamrock Shore

QuoteThats the lot but Dubs played Wexford in Carlow in 2002 - not in Wexford - same day Ireland played Cameroon

Of course - Dub supporters had been on the gargle since the 1-1 win that morning v Cameroon and it ended up with a number of Dub streakers in Dr. Cullen Park.

That said, I like the cut of Wexford's jib so far this year - handing out good decent beatings to Offaly and Westmeath and I think they'll match the Dubs man for man. It could be a very open game with lots of scores.

I'll give Wexford the nod on this one.

boro

Fuzzman

2 hours without a post
Are ye all at the game?

Good start for both Brogans, I mean Dublin though 2 wides for Bernard already.
The passing from Wexford so far is awful. Dublin intercepting loads of ball at half back

Another wide for Dublin. Fennell.
That could start to play on their minds