Again, remind me.

Who is Brian Carthy?

What did RTE do to him?

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

ONeill

Brian Carthy is a man from Granard. He is famed for his joke of the year (Longford Qualifier) in 1984. It goes as follows:

How do you make a tractor beam?
Tell it the field looks lovely.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Shamrock Shore

Christ on a bike O'Neill  :o

Carthy is a Roscommon man. We have enough problems with Granard without you spreading false allegations.

Why anyone would go to bat for this goon astounds me.

Tubberman

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 07, 2011, 02:25:24 PM

Carthy is a Roscommon man. We have enough problems with Granard without you spreading false allegations.

Strokestown man I believe.
I don't mind him commentating, he's less annoying than Marty Morrissey or Ger Canning, which is no great credit.
But I don't see why Harte is getting involved and boycotting RTÉ - daft behaviour, nothing to do with him or the other managers who RTÉ appoint to commentate.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ross matt

[/quote

Carthy is a decent man. He was superbly eloquent and respectful when Dermot Earley died last year. I can see how he would have been very comforting to the Harte family at the time of Michaela's loss. Mickey in turn obviously has taken this course of action out of loyalty. Harte takes loyalty very seriously.

I dont think Brian is a great commentator but then neither is Ger Canning or Marty Morrissey. The managers seem to have taken this too far and you would be inclined to think there is more to it. Carthy doesnt deserve to be called a goon though.

seafoid

Do you still have a sense of wonder, Shamrock ?
Haven't they beaten it out of you yet ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9CjBtv7j78

muppet

I think this is a positive thing all round.

The only memorable post-match interview in recent times was Brian Cody lashing Marty Morrisey. That is hardly a positive image and certainly wasn't anything to do with sport.

If we are watching the post match interview we have just watched the match (or highlights of it). We don't need grumpy pundits to tell us it was a crap match and we don't need losing managers to tell us they were robbed. Then we have the grumpy pundits discussing the grumpy manager who lost or the even grumpier winning manager who blames the grumpy pundits for focussing on them.

At its best it is tedious and mundane and at its worst it becomes a Gaa celebrity whinging match.

RTE should do us a favour and ban the post match cliche fest completely.

MWWSI 2017

WeeDonns

Here ye go;

Cde

Mickey is making a habit of this, Last year he told Q101 if they did not pull one of their commentators off air that he would refuse them access to the tyrone team.
He should be more concerned about managing the Tyrone team and not worrying about who can and cannot do the commentary on matches

JohnDenver

Do you think if the ulster managers stopped talking to the BBC is there any chance they would get rid of sidebottom?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: JohnDenver on June 07, 2011, 03:00:36 PM
Do you think if the ulster managers stopped talking to the BBC is there any chance they would get rid of sidebottom?
Other thread.

Doogie Browser

Would hardly think RTE will back down over this now as it would set a dangerous precedent.

Trout

Sinn Fein delivers -

British rule

orangeman

Mickey Harte and 8 other inter county managers have signed a letter expressing their concern at how Brian Carthy has been treated.

Mickey along with 8 other managers including Brian Cody don't think they're bigger than anybody let alone the GAA and I can't see how this can be construed as being so.

They're taking up an issue that effects a long term friend / colleague of theirs who is a decent, sincere and good man. That's as far as it goes. Surely they're entitled to have the right to simply air / express their view, whether that view be right or wrong ?.