Gaa managers refuse to speak to Rte over Brian Carthy treatment

Started by Minder, June 07, 2011, 11:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

This all seems a bit mad. Carthy must have some influence over intercounty managers, unless there is something we don't know about. What Carthy treated unfairly? I just cannot really get my head around this atall.

"And radio is a unique medium. It's a highly challenging skill to deliver that in a way that paints a picture for people and I think you need to be steeped in the GAA to do that."

Is Harte suggesting they're hiring staff with little interest in GAA who are being given the gigs over the old hands?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

saffron sam2

They'll not be missed. The same banal, generalisms from them week in, week out.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

heffo

There is one ring leader who wrote to the others involved and got them on board.

AQMP

I wondered why Mickey Harte wasn't interviewed on the Sunday Game

Hereiam

Would love to know why Harte has got himself involved in this. He is a county manger and should stick to managing the county team. As a Tyrone supporter I hate to see him stick his nose into things which have nothing to do with him. Carthy might be a good friend for all I know, but he should know better.

ONeill

Harte and Carthy appear to have some form of relationship. It was Carthy who penned the tribute to Michaela in the Irish News in place of Mickey's column.

ONeill

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Sports Desk Blog

Harte has grossly overstepped the mark in RTE rowJune 7, 2011 11:55 by  JohnF

John Fogarty

MICKEY HARTE won't make any secret of his friendship with RTE Radio GAA correspondent Brian Carthy. Nor should he. Neither will I.

Brian Carthy is one of the most genial and warmest people you will care to meet. When this writer commenced work as Irish Examiner GAA correspondent in December last year, he received a best wishes greeting card from him. It was a typically touching gesture from the man.

Rest assured, there is no sentiment here in stating Brian Carty is also a fine journalist, perhaps the best connected in the GAA. He is rarely left trailing when it comes to breaking news. To regard him as hard-working would insult him.

As a commentator, he is also in possession of an evocative and distinctive voice that has painted pictures for RTE radio listeners for decades.

Carthy has forged so many close relations with GAA personalities without it ever impinging on his professionalism.

His friendship with Harte (and the Harte family) is one of them. Carthy was a regular visitor to their Ballygawley home following the tragic death of Michaela in January and was a prominent figure at her funeral.

On the face of it, there's something noble about Harte fighting the corner of his pal. But the Tyrone manager has overstepped the mark here. Grossly so.

In leading a group of eight managers who will refuse to give interviews to RTE until the national broadcasters discuss Carthy's perceived downgrading with them, he has abused his position of authority.

"We just didn't think that was good practice because we do believe that for Gaelic games over the years there has been a distinctive voice on radio,'' Harte told The Irish Examiner. "And radio is an unique medium.

"It's a highly challenging skill to deliver that in a way that paints a picture for people and I think you need to be steeped in the GAA to do that.

"RTE had people who were in that very vein and to see the absence of Brian Carthy from the League Division One football and hurling finals, the same absence on the opening day of the championship when there is only one game on and to see him missing from virtually all of the major games this season to date, we just don't think that's fair to somebody of his quality and the rapport he has built up with people right throughout this country in Gaelic games over more than a quarter of a century."

If there are concerns RTE Radio One is not serving the GAA best it's incumbent of Croke Park to raise them with the station, they who have given them the broadcasting rights for millions of euro. Not Harte or any other manager for that matter, regardless of how many feel compelled to do so.

Whatever RTE's reasons are for deciding not to pass on Micheál Ó Muircheartaigh's baton to Carthy (this writer believes he was the natural successor), it is their prerogative to dictate what is right for Radio One's listeners. Not a group of inter-county managers.

Sure, Harte and his fellow protestors have their right to an opinion like everyone else. But to hold RTE to ransom on the basis theirs is better than the people who are experts in their field is a misguided exercise.

Carthy's problems in Donnybrook have been well documented in the press. Last year, it was reported he was downgraded to a roving sideline reporter role for a number of the championship games. Solicitors were involved before Carthy was restored to commentating duties.

This is the latest in an unfortunate catalogue of events and a most desperate one too when all else seems to have failed to convince RTE Carthy is their main man.

In 2005, several inter-county players refused to be interviewed by RTE after the national broadcasters decided to permit Club Energise-branded bottles to be drunk at post-match interviews.

The matter was eventually resolved when the players body and Montrose officials sat down to iron out the matter but this is a completely different matter.

That was about money - this is personal.

In making it such a crusade, Harte and his cohorts have done themselves no favours. They have compromised their own positions for a cause that they shouldn't have made their own because it isn't their own.

On one hand, this stand-off shows not only the regard in which Carthy is held just as much as the influence Harte has in convincing so many of his fellow managers that this is a battle worth fighting.

But this, let's be clear, is an imprudent battle. One in which they are willing to snub RTE to maintain their viewpoint is right when their concerns should rest elsewhere.

Harte is one of the most admirable of people. His success, grace under fire and faith are attributes of a leader of men but he is not the doyen of radio sports critics.

What he says shouldn't always go, especially as he is throwing his weight behind a man whose occupation it is to press him on issues he mightn't necessarily feel comfortable with.

The optics just aren't right, but neither are the means of protest.

RTE should not meet the aggrieved managers (the Gaelic Managers Association (GMA), anyone?) under any circumstances.

Their integrity insists on it.

Their professionalism depends on it.

http://sport.irishexaminer.com/post/2011/06/07/Harte-has-grossly-overstepped-the-mark-in-RTE-row.aspx

rrhf

Would this case not bear remarkable similarities to the Jerome Quinn case. 

ONeill

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

BennyHarp

This is all a bit mad - it would make me think that there's more to it than meets the eye as i cant understand why the managers would get involved in this. Surely these managers have a bigger duty to the watching public and fans than Brian Carthy? (Though i agree with SafrronSam that they dont say much these days anyway)
That was never a square ball!!

GalwayBayBoy

I'm not a fan of Carthy's commentary style to say the least. In fact I usually turn him off when I hear him. However isn't this an internal decision for RTE to make? What intercounty managers are doing getting involved is beyond me.

Bingo

Another arse about ways of doing things the GAA way! FFS none of their business who RTE uses or doesn't use.

Tony Baloney

Unnecessary pettiness from Harte in my opinion, although some may understand it if he is mates with Carthy, but why are those other clowns getting involved?

Is the world a poorer place without an interview from McGeeney?