O'Byrne Cup 2011

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 17, 2010, 11:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ck

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on January 06, 2011, 12:58:19 PM
Quote from: ck on January 06, 2011, 12:52:25 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on January 06, 2011, 12:49:43 PM
Quote from: ck on January 06, 2011, 12:42:56 PM
Anyone know why NUI Maynooth are not in the O'Byrne cup?

Opted out when the colleges were added to the competition because it clashes with their first semester exams.

Thanks for that!
Seems a very strange decision given that loads of colleges have exams at this stage of the year. Made even stranger given that the game is on a Sunday. Do they have exams on Sundays?

NUIM don't anyway. The theological college (St Pats) might though.

They used to play in the Kildare u21 championship but KCB put a stop to that when they kept winning it.

Their non-participation in the O'Byrne Cup didn't seem to do them any harm in the Sigerson last year when they put out UUJ despite playing with 14 men for most of the second half. Not sure how the seniors are shaping up this year but they've a good freshers team from what I've heard.

Yeah they hosted Sigerson last year I think? ..Still seems very strange that they are the only University in Leinster who have not entered the O'Byrne cup.
As for having a good Freshers team, not sure where you got that. My nephew plays for them, they got hammered in every league match and finished bottom of their group with no points!

Donnellys Hollow

Best freshers team since they had Marc Ó Sé, Ross Munnelly and Mick Foley apparently  ???

Not saying much considering some of the poor teams they've had since then.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

laoisgaa

QuoteAnyone know why NUI Maynooth are not in the O'Byrne cup?

It was to do with league placings as well and historically the Leinster Council only lets four college teams take part in the O'Byrne Cup I think. There's usually more want to get involved

Dinny Breen

QuoteStill seems very strange that they are the only University in Leinster who have not entered the O'Byrne cup.

Who are Trinity playing?

#newbridgeornowhere

laoisgaa

Trinity aren't involved. It's just DIT, DCU, UCD and Athlone IT.

Walsh Cup Hurling - UCD, DIT and NUI Galway are the colleges involved
Kehoe Cup Hurling - TCD, IT Carlow, GMIT and DCU are the colleges involved

Dinny Breen

I know that, I was trying to be a smart arse and failing....
#newbridgeornowhere

thejuice

O'Rourke set for outfield role

QuoteMeath goalkeeper Paddy O'Rourke will be given the chance to impress in an outfield role in the O'Byrne Cup.

O'Rourke played a starring role at wing forward for Skryne in their surprise Meath SFC success last year and new Royal County manager Seamus McEnaney wants to see what he can do in an outfield role at inter-county level.

"He played outfield for his club and we will give him his opportunity in a few trial games and see how he performs. I am no stranger to playing goalkeepers outfield or outfield players in goal. We want to give everyone the best opportunity we can," said 'Banty', who caused a stir last summer as Monaghan manager when he switched full back Darren Hughes to goal for the Ulster SFC quarter-final win over Armagh.

McEnaney has been boosted by the return of long-term injury victims Mickey Burke and David Bray to his squad. Burke suffered a broken leg in last year's Leinster SFC quarter-final victory over Laois, while Bray tore his cruciate ligament last April.

Former All-Star Stephen Bray is currently on honeymoon, but will be available for the start of the National League.

Paddy has been outstanding in midfield for Skryne this year so I think this will be a good move. We have a few options for goalkeeper with Murphy, Gallagher, Nolan and I'm sure there's others.

No other word on the team but they are playing against Kilmacud in a challenge match on Saturday.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

laoisgaa

Oh and the Bihatimber survives with the following email from Leinster Council this morning.

This is to confirm that the Shield Competition in the O' Byrne Cup S.F. Tournament will commence on Sunday 16th January 2011.  The draw is as follows:-

1.       Loser  Westmeath/Dublin    v        Loser  Wexford/DIT
2.       Loser  Kildare/Longford       v        Loser  Offaly/DCU
3.       Loser  Meath/UCD              v        Loser  Carlow/Kilkenny
4.       Loser  Louth/Athlone IT      v        Loser  Laois/Wicklow

First named team has HOME VENUE (unless it is a College team)

Extra time will apply if sides finish level.

Semi Finals will be played on 23.1.2011.

Final is scheduled for Sunday 30th January 2011.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

laoisgaa

O'Byrne Shield Final 2010
28th February - Carlow (1-15) Wexford (2-8)

Hound

Dublin team v Westmeath:

Stephen Cluxton (Parnell's)
Nicky Devereux (Ballinteer St John's), Seán Murray (St Brigid's), Darragh Nelson (Ballyboden St Enda's)
Paul Casey (Lucan Sarsfields), Gerard Brennan (St Vincent's), Darren Daly (Fingal Ravens)
Colm Murphy (St Jude's), Kevin Bonner (St Brigid's)
Alan Hubbard (Ballymun Kickhams), Tomás Quinn (St Vincent's), Dean Kelly (Trinity Gaels)
Darragh Stapleton (St Pat's, Palmerstown), Eoghan O'Gara (Templeogue Synge St), Kevin McManamon (St Jude's)

Pretty poor looking team. Devereux would be the most exciting of the prospects IMO, though would be a half back by trade rather than a corner back.

laoisgaa

Laois (SF v Wicklow): Darren Maher; Shane Julian, Denis Booth, Robbie Kehoe; Paul Begley, Darren Strong, Conor Boyle; Padraig Clancy, Cathal Og Greene; Craig Rogers, Colm Parkinson, Gary Kavanagh; Michael Finlay, Daithi Carroll, Jason Enright.

Plenty of newcomers for us in what is a very experimental side. Good to see both Colm Parkinson and Gary Kavanagh in the lineup after long absences.

heffo

Quote from: laoisgaa on January 07, 2011, 11:48:59 AM
Laois (SF v Wicklow): Darren Maher; Shane Julian, Denis Booth, Robbie Kehoe; Paul Begley, Darren Strong, Conor Boyle; Padraig Clancy, Cathal Og Greene; Craig Rogers, Colm Parkinson, Gary Kavanagh; Michael Finlay, Daithi Carroll, Jason Enright.

Plenty of newcomers for us in what is a very experimental side. Good to see both Colm Parkinson and Gary Kavanagh in the lineup after long absences.

I see Wolly was true to his promise that he might play with ye this year!

Donnellys Hollow

Kildare team and subs for Sunday.

1. Shane Connolly, St. Laurences
2. Ollie Lyons, Celbridge
3. Damien Hendy, Castledermot
4. Ciaran Fitzpatrick, Kilcock
5. Mark Scanlon, Round Towers
6. Michael Foley, Athy
7. Éamonn Callaghan, Naas
8. Hugh Lynch, Confey
9. Pádraig O'Neill, St. Laurences
10. Tommy Moolick, Leixlip
11. Eoghan O'Flaherty, Carbury
12. Mark O'Sullivan, Celbridge
13. Karl Ennis, Maynooth
14. Willie Heffernan, Nurney
15. Fionn Dowling, Suncroft

16. Shane McCormack, Allenwood
17. Ronan Walsh, Cappagh
18. Éamonn McCormack, Sallins
19. Jamie Lambe, Kilcullen
20. Paddy Dunne, Athy
21. Emmet Bolton, Eadestown
22. Alan Smith, Sarsfields
23. Eoin Naughton, Clane
24. Ciaran Kelly, Moorefield
25. Austin Nevin, Caragh
26. Conor Tiernan, Sarsfields

Good to see Connolly getting a run in goals. It has been a weak point for four or five years. I hope Mark O'Sullivan has a good game in the forwards. He lacks pace but he is one of the best finishers in Kildare club football. Some interesting names among the subs. It has been a while since the likes of Sallins, Kilcullen and Caragh were represented on the senior team.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open