Ulster under 21 club championship

Started by randomtask, December 30, 2009, 05:49:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

randomtask

anyone see the back page of the Irish news, creggan are now going to hold an under 21 ulster championship. personally think it would be a good idea, any idea of what teams will be competing and who would be the favourites?

wallyman

crossfire

Cross Rangers won in Armagh.
We have a reasonable side and coukd give it a good run.
Fair play to Creggan Kickhams for taking the initiative.

Denn Forever

U21 championship for what year?  The U21 championship in Cavan has just finished so we might have a hope if it for 2009.  If it is for 2010 ask us this time next year.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Archie Mitchell

Im assuming its for the 2009 winners. Sure the Minor Ulster club final is usually played on 1st January when a good few players would be overage.

Bogball XV

this will be the big one lads, how are creggan doing at u21 at present and how do they expect to do over the next few years ;)

randomtask

Quote from: hardstation on December 31, 2009, 12:29:27 AM
Quote from: Bogball XV on December 31, 2009, 12:24:58 AM
this will be the big one lads, how are creggan doing at u21 at present and how do they expect to do over the next few years ;)
Very well, as you probably know. U21 and Minor champions in Antrim. The reason why they are setting this up, I'd say. The St. Paul's Minor tournament started the same way, I believe.

think saint Paul's won it the first two years in a row ::) quite convenient, maybe creggan have similar ambitions

Schkite

Pity this wasn't set up a few years ago when we'd have had a good chance! Scotstown won the u-21 in Monaghan this year and would fancy their chances given that their whole team has played in the St. Pauls minor tournament over the last 3 years, and they've a couple of players with county experience.

It's a great idea and fair play to Creggan for starting it up, hope it's a success like the St Pauls one.

randomtask

Quote from: hardstation on December 31, 2009, 12:53:55 AM
Quote from: randomtask on December 31, 2009, 12:45:02 AM
Quote from: hardstation on December 31, 2009, 12:29:27 AM
Quote from: Bogball XV on December 31, 2009, 12:24:58 AM
Very well, as you probably know. U21 and Minor champions in Antrim. The reason why they are setting this up, I'd say. The St. Paul's Minor tournament started the same way, I believe.

think saint Paul's won it the first two years in a row ::) quite convenient, maybe creggan have similar ambitions
You may be right but St. Paul's have continued the competition every year since, even when they were nowhere near getting into it (for years now). They run a great competition year in year out so I don't quite understand your comment. If Creggan run a comp anywhere near as successful as the Minor, they will be providing a great service. A wee bit of vision, even off the back of some success, has to be admired.

I think you got the wrong end of the stick, in light hearted terms i am just saying that saint pauls obviously started that tournament because they thought they would win it, and maybe now creggan are doing the same ;D

imtommygunn

Good initiative by Creggan alright - very progressive club.

I'm not sure but I think they've 2 pitches. Haven't been there since the place was revamped though.

Only one pitch would usually be required for this though.

They've won 2 u21s in a row(I think) and a few minors so obviously an influencing factor but hopefully they keep it going when they're not winning.

They're about our only hope in antrim at present for breaking the stronghold of cargin and st galls so hopefully it improves Creggan as a team too. 

thewanderer

This Ulster competition was tried before by a Derry club cant remember which early 2000. Cant see it happening as some of the counties haven't even finished their 2009 chapionship. Its obviously been restarted by Creggan as they feel they have a good team this year. But with a lot of u21 players playing with sigerson/ universities and national league county teams all i can say is good luck but i have no doubt some teams will not field. As usual this age bracket in each county has been more or less forgot about with competitions been run off either early or late in the year and almost never completed in time. The inter county competition is also run off on a weekly basis just to get rid off it as it a shame as one of the best inter county games last year was the ulster u21 final.

screenexile

Quote from: longrunsthefox on December 31, 2009, 10:09:05 AM
Tend to agree with you wanderer. The U 21 county teams are in preperation and there was a right  row here a few years ago for lads needed by Omagh CBS and county minor squad. Can't see how the management of Tyrone minors, U21s and Omagh CBS will be too enamoured with this idea if it involves Omagh playing three games over three weekends.
Seems ill thought out and a bit self indulgent of Creggan.

Yeah don't forget to factor in the McKenna Cup which will rob clubs of certain University and County Panellists also.

Derry had their first U21 Championship in years last year and in fairness it's not a level taken seriously at all here. I don't mean to sound negative but surely there's enough going on for lads at that age without adding an extra unimportant competition on top of it.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on December 30, 2009, 08:37:41 PM
Im assuming its for the 2009 winners. Sure the Minor Ulster club final is usually played on 1st January when a good few players would be overage.

it starts in 3 weeks time, it's the 2009 winners but apparently they havent all been finshed yet, but a creggan spokesman says they will be by then. only 4 or confirmed at the minute.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

thewanderer

Quote from: screenexile on December 31, 2009, 10:18:58 AM
Tend to agree with you wanderer. The U 21 county teams are in preperation and there was a right  row here a few years ago for lads needed by Omagh CBS and county minor squad. Can't see how the management of Tyrone minors, U21s and Omagh CBS will be too enamoured with this idea if it involves Omagh playing three games over three weekends.

Yeah don't forget to factor in the McKenna Cup which will rob clubs of certain University and County Panellists also.

Derry had their first U21 Championship in years last year and in fairness it's not a level taken seriously at all here. I don't mean to sound negative but surely there's enough going on for lads at that age without adding an extra unimportant competition on top of it.
Unfortunately this competition is not well timed and should be set aside and possible played at the end of the county u21 ulster championship when college, national league and university competitions have ended and before the start of the ulster senior cship. Cant see all games being played. does any one remember who previously run a similar competition think it was bellaghy of ballinderry?

Bogball XV

Quote from: thewanderer on December 31, 2009, 12:02:12 PM
Quote from: screenexile on December 31, 2009, 10:18:58 AM

Unfortunately this competition is not well timed and should be set aside and possible played at the end of the county u21 ulster championship when college, national league and university competitions have ended and before the start of the ulster senior cship. Cant see all games being played. does any one remember who previously run a similar competition think it was bellaghy of ballinderry?
castledawson????