Babhta 3 Tyrone V Galway Saturday 7th March 2009

Started by rrhf, February 16, 2009, 12:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Will Stevie still be out?

I think that dropping McCullagh would be a major blow to the current forward unit and I'd be amazed if that decision was taken. Swift does seem to be a tidy footballer away from CB. I wasn't overly impressed last year but can see what his supporters see in him as an excellent footballer. Enda and Justin would be an exciting MF partnership but can't see Joe being penned back as a full time FB again. Mickey seems to like his roving role.

Padraig Joyce, Michael Meehan, Sean Armstrong, Paul Conroy....the Corofin lads if available.....this is some test for the defence. I can't see Jordan, Gormley, Ricey (if available), Harte nor Justin going anywhere but starting the game against this calibre of attack.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Donagh

Whatever happened to 'Snowy' - does his hatrick not warrant a run-out this year or is he Ricey's sparring partner for the duration?

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: ONeill on February 19, 2009, 11:55:00 PM
Will Stevie still be out?

I think that dropping McCullagh would be a major blow to the current forward unit and I'd be amazed if that decision was taken. Swift does seem to be a tidy footballer away from CB. I wasn't overly impressed last year but can see what his supporters see in him as an excellent footballer. Enda and Justin would be an exciting MF partnership but can't see Joe being penned back as a full time FB again. Mickey seems to like his roving role.

Padraig Joyce, Michael Meehan, Sean Armstrong, Paul Conroy....the Corofin lads if available.....this is some test for the defence. I can't see Jordan, Gormley, Ricey (if available), Harte nor Justin going anywhere but starting the game against this calibre of attack.
The returning Corofin lads that will probably make the first 15 are all defenders O'Neill, namely Kieran Fitzgerald, Damien Burke and Gary Sice.  Corofin dont actually have any outstanding forwards and that may be their undoing against Kilmacud Crokes this weekend.  Win or lose, I doubt they will be considered for this game anyway.

Hopefully Stephen O'Neill will be recovered in time as I really would like to see how our defence would cope with yer best 6 forwards.

Rois

Stephen's injury is to the same knee that he's had trouble with.  It's a chronic condition so it'll never be right, I guess the question is whether it's worth the risk for this match.  If we don't get some points we'll be into a relegation battle so it may be.

drici

Back in Roinn 1 now.

rrhf

These games are coming thick and fast, its just about March and this is  babhta 3 of Roinn 1.   I wouldnt risk any doubtful men now, no matter how nice it would be to be competive for a final place in roinn 1.  As I said earlier its babhta 3 theres quite a few babhtas yet to go and I would rather keep a fresh Stephen for the last couple of babtas and be content with a place in roinn 1 for next year than risk it all and lose him anyway.     

rrhf

tyronefan

could see conor going in for ricey alright,  would also like to see PJ getting a run in the corner instead of Mickey Mc Gee for a match or 2

tieroan

I dont think that Mickey would have picked Ricey at centre half for this one anyway. I think he would have been slightly alarmed at the wholes in the middle of the defence in the 1st half. Correct me if I am wrong but did Ricey not spend the 2nd half marking the Gooch?
Gormley will return to no 6 to mark Joyce.

tyroneboi

Thought Justin McMahon looked very good at centre half back in the second half the last day. Would rather see Gromley at full back marking Meehan and then leave Justin McMahon to deal with Joyce. Hope Gareth Devlin gets a run out in the corner probably in place of Colm Cav.

tyssam5

Quote from: tyroneboi on February 24, 2009, 04:03:02 PM
Thought Justin McMahon looked very good at centre half back in the second half the last day. Would rather see Gromley at full back marking Meehan and then leave Justin McMahon to deal with Joyce. Hope Gareth Devlin gets a run out in the corner probably in place of Colm Cav.

I dunno Justy might suit Meehan OK, if his confident is still good. Justy had good speed and Meehan wouldn't have the strength/size advantage that Walsh enjoyed.

ONeill

Looking forward to seeing this Galway outfit in action. By all accounts the noises are optimistic coming out of the county about the present side. 2 wins from 2, they've scored more than any other side in the division (albeit a goal more than Tyrone) and their confidence but be high. They've plenty of scoring avenues:

S Armstrong (1-2), P Joyce (0-2), C Bane (0-4); P Conroy (1-1), M Meehan (1-3), M Lydon. v Dublin

P Conroy (0-1), P Joyce (0-1), J Bergin; C Bane (0-1), M Meehan (1-5), N Joyce (0-2) v Westmeath

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Justy would be a good bet in the half-back line I'd say, he can do damage on his foraging runs. We owe the Tribesmen from last year, when their fitness was well ahead of ours in Salthill.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Puckoon

Do Tyrone have the speed merchant cbs to handle a full forward line like Galways? I think the Block might struggle on Meehan or Armstrong.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Puckoon on February 24, 2009, 11:47:12 PM
I think the Block might struggle on Meehan or Armstrong.
I think it'd be more important to shackle Joyce effectively, he pulls a lot of the strings for that unit.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...