NFL Division 1 - 2020

Started by thejuice, January 07, 2020, 12:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

galwayman

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 26, 2020, 08:48:06 AM
Quote from: galwayman on February 26, 2020, 07:02:05 AM
I know they have no points on the board but I think this is a very tricky game for us - especially immediately after Tyrone given the margin of victory.
One thing that is evident - we need to do something about our own kick outs.

Galway have no win in 40 years in Navan apparently so it's not a happy hunting ground!
It's a stat that should have been put to bed in 2017 however when Galway somehow contrived to lose by a point despite being a good bit the better team in the second half, Danny Cummins missed a tap in goal chance when Galway were three up, Meath goaled near the end to win.

Kick out strategy and execution remains a fairly sizeable issue alright, we haven't seen much of an improvement in this area from the start of the year. Gleeson does bring a lot between the posts outside of this in fairness to him but it's probably the most important factor for a goalkeeper these days.
Yeah I was at a qualifier in 2011 in Navan also where we lost by a point. Cormac Bane had a goal chance in the last few seconds one v one with the keeper but it was saved.

galwayman

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on February 26, 2020, 09:39:02 AM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 25, 2020, 10:22:19 PM
Galway team for the Meath match:
1   Connor Gleeson
2   Seán Kelly
3   Seán Ó Maoilchiaráin
4   Johnny Heaney
5   Liam Silke
6   John Daly
7   Cillian McDaid
8   Ronan Steede
9   Tom Flynn
10   Eamon Brannigan
11   Damien Comer
12   Michael Daly
13   Martin Farragher
14   Shane Walsh
15   Adrian Varley

O'Donnell very unlucky, thought he was excellent last Sunday and has played well so far in 2020 but now is the time to try out different combinations in the lines looking towards the summer.
Farragher in for the start, can't go any worse for him than his last appearance in the county jersey whatever else happens.
Gary is unlucky for sure. The man rarely has a bad game for us.
Possibly Pj trying out combinations.
I think Daly has the number 6 shirt nailed on - O'Donnell, Silke, McDaid and Molloy probably fighting for the 2 starting wing back slots.
I know they have no points on the board but I think this is a very tricky game for us - especially immediately after Tyrone given the margin of victory.
We will be targeted there by the big boys later in the year.
Molloy went off injured in the club final so I'm assuming he's injured?  He hasn't even featured in a match day squad so far in the league.  Gary is extremely unlucky to miss out, was excellent last Sunday and has actually improved this year IMHO.
Molloy mentioned injuring his shoulder in an interview the week after the game so it would make sense alright.

larryin89

Savage amount of Galway posts in here of late , deny the giddiness if ya wish but Joyce has really put belief back into Galway football , I'm starting to think gawd no please no .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rossfan

I think they're 3rd favourites for the AI already.
Should walk Connacht and easily make the Semis anyway.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

galwayman

Quote from: larryin89 on February 26, 2020, 09:59:25 AM
Savage amount of Galway posts in here of late , deny the giddiness if ya wish but Joyce has really put belief back into Galway football , I'm starting to think gawd no please no .
He has certainly galvanised some of the Galway football public alright. Personally - whilst I'm enjoying watching this team I honestly am not convinced we will do the business in the summer. I would be delighted to be proven wrong of course and maybe that's just the natural cautiousness I have within me re Galway football teams. But I have major doubts as to how we will fare defensively in championship football. Time will tell.

GaillimhIarthair

Now Larry, no need to be getting excited, it's the same few Galway posters and most of us have been around here a long while at this stage!  Galway were very poor last year so a new manager in with a good start to the league will always give a bit of a bounce - probably a little extra bounce on this occasion as PJ has a pretty elevated standing in GAA circles based on his playing career and is somewhat media friendly (so far anyway!).

As with most teams, right now we are a good bit short of matching the Dubs come the Summer but sure all we can try and do is close the gap and see where it takes us - isn't that what the rest of us are all trying to do anyway!!

An Fhairche Abu

I may as well add another post to the pile so!
The very early in the week Tuesday night team announcements is definitely contributing to the extra posts, there's something concrete for Galway supporters to discuss midweek and PJ has not been naming dummy teams either, he has stated flat out that if you don't train Tuesday you don't play Sunday.
As other Galway posters have said there's no need for too much excitement yet, it's only the end of February and anyone who is going to the matches can see that there are plenty of problems/issues still to be resolved.
One thing that can't be denied is that Galway are great to watch at the moment, PJ has the team playing a very attractive brand of football, how they go later on in high summer playing this way still remains to be seen.

Main Street

Even the dogs in Galway * could appreciate the ability to play football at current levels was always there, deficiencies were mainly due to managerial dysfunction, ineptness. This "renaissance" is no big surprise.

* Assuming Galway dogs are just as smart as the dogs allegedly are along the border.

Manning18

We don't have a Willie Joe blog with 700 hysterical posts every time McLaughlin misses a free, so the commentary tends to get congregated here. Should probably be a specific Galway thread. Can freely discuss player and benefactor indiscretions here at least :p

larryin89

On current form you'd expect Galway to be a top 3/4 team , how close they are to winning an all ireland is yet to be proven . Is their championship peak similar to Gaelic grounds last summer or has it improved , again we will have to wait to see .Me pointing out the obvious that they are two different worlds playing Kerry in feb down in killlarney and playing Kerry in July down in Killarney is just too obvious , we are all aware of that but are Galways defensive players good enough to limit the likes of Clifford and o se or o Callaghan and Mannion in the height of championship football , do they have defenders of that quality . They can push any narrative they want about mayos failure to land Sam but players like Barrett , Higgins , Boyler, keegan , paddy D were (one or two still are) savage defenders , rolls Royce athleticism. I'm not convinced Galway have that bite as of yet .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

moysider

You only have to be best any given year so yeah it could be that Galway are coming good at the right time. The Mayo team is gone and I think Dublin have levelled off and may even be in decline. I think we will have new champions this year. Most likely it will be Kerry but Galway could well be in the right place at the right time again.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: moysider on February 26, 2020, 02:16:18 PM
You only have to be best any given year so yeah it could be that Galway are coming good at the right time. The Mayo team is gone and I think Dublin have levelled off and may even be in decline. I think we will have new champions this year. Most likely it will be Kerry but Galway could well be in the right place at the right time again.

Based on league form or change of manager? A bold prediction in upcoming championship that will be Dublin's All Ireland to lose once more.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 26, 2020, 08:48:06 AM

Galway have no win in 40 years in Navan apparently so it's not a happy hunting ground!
It's a stat that should have been put to bed in 2017 however when Galway somehow contrived to lose by a point despite being a good bit the better team in the second half, Danny Cummins missed a tap in goal chance when Galway were three up, Meath goaled near the end to win.

Think it's definitely a potential trap game for Galway. Meath have been playing a bit better of late. Very unlucky to lose to Mayo and gave Kerry a good game down in Killarney. Plus Navan is one of those random grounds where Galway always seem to lose. Even when they play relatively well.

Maroon Manc

A lot of talk and hype around Donegal this time last year too, the media love getting carried away. The football has been great so far though and I like everyone else have really enjoyed the games.

PJ is practically building a new back line, Gleeson is new to the panel as is Mulkerrin; Heaney & Sean Kelly are playing in new positions and McDaid missed the vast majority of his 1st through injury. He's had limited time with the players so would imagine he's spent that on changing the style of play, would like to think he'll spend more time on the kick outs and the defensive aspect once the league is finished.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 26, 2020, 03:12:01 PM
A lot of talk and hype around Donegal this time last year too, the media love getting carried away.

You must be getting the years mixed up. This time last year Donegal were in division 2 and lost 2 of their 4 games to Fermanagh and Tipperary.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose