Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: Jesusjones on September 19, 2017, 05:00:55 PM
What Glenariff have achieved in raising and securing funding to build their new facility is nothing short of magnificent. They are an example to many other clubs who wish to improve their own facilities. That being said securing the funding is actually the easier part. When all the big knobs leave after the grand opening and tea and sandwiches that is when it get tough. There are no grants for heat, electric, rates, maintenance or the like.

That's the nail on the head & i feel we have maybe over extended, could be wrong. I just think the maintenance & upkeep could be difficult year on year.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Jesusjones

No doubt it'll be tough Minder but your club now has a track record in fundraising. That level needs to be maintained and it's important the community understand that when the ribbon is cut the work doesn't finish.

Megaman

you are aware that they dont own it and will be paying rent, which obviously could increase if it is not seen to be making a profit.

I hope it works out for glenariffe, but from what ive heard it could be a bit of mess for them, and for what, better changing rooms.

theskull1

Quote from: Megaman on September 20, 2017, 07:58:15 AM
you are aware that they dont own it and will be paying rent, which obviously could increase if it is not seen to be making a profit.

From that explanation it sounds like a precarious enough arrangement.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Minder

I hope it works out for glenariffe, but from what ive heard it could be a bit of mess for them, and for what, better changing rooms.

That's the thing, it is owned by "Friends of Glenariffe", a separate entity to the hurling club. In my opinion that wasn't always made clear to people when fundraising was going on throughout the years.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on September 20, 2017, 08:05:01 AM

From that explanation it sounds like a precarious enough arrangement.

90% rates relief on a building owned by an organisation with charity status.

I was interested in Glenariffe's model and TBH we are about to start something similar via a DERA grant which we need to top up BUT the final building will be owned by Ballygalget G.A.C. and controlled accordingly.

Yes there's certain obligations that need met to placate the local council who met their minimum legal requirements in terms of funding and then fucked on a load of stipulations wrt employment opportunities and availability to the wider community but nothing untoward and not reasonably workable with a bit of creative thinking.

johnneycool

Quote from: Minder on September 20, 2017, 10:51:24 AM

That's the thing, it is owned by "Friends of Glenariffe", a separate entity to the hurling club. In my opinion that wasn't always made clear to people when fundraising was going on throughout the years.

How are the Friends of Glenariffe made up? How are they elected?

Last Man

I don't see this as being any problem at all for Glenarriffe, it reinforces the club's position at the centre of the local community and will attract people who would ordinarily have little or nothing to do with the club. Helping it to flourish for years to come.  This is just a creative way of doing things to reduce the hurdles that have to be jumped to secure funding for these types of projects. Something that the club would struggle to achieve on their own.

NAG1

what did they do with the gates?  ;D ;D ;D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on September 20, 2017, 12:10:02 PM
what did they do with the gates?  ;D ;D ;D

Fecking mixer!!!!

youse truly hate each other lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NAG1

No no harm done  ;), it was a scandalous objection but nothing new there.

Could be a good example for other clubs to follow.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on September 20, 2017, 12:46:36 PM

Seems to work well out in the sticks but for whatever reason the city teams struggled with that type of  raising money! Trust me we have a dedicated team working on such things and working with the local agencies to achieve better facilities, we hope to be in a position to change things in the not too distant future
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 20, 2017, 01:07:12 PM

Seems to work well out in the sticks but for whatever reason the city teams struggled with that type of  raising money! Trust me we have a dedicated team working on such things and working with the local agencies to achieve better facilities, we hope to be in a position to change things in the not too distant future

Out in the sticks is where you'll find the true GAA people.. not in the city.  :-* ;)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on September 20, 2017, 01:18:27 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 20, 2017, 01:07:12 PM

Out in the sticks is where you'll find the true GAA people.. not in the city.  :-* ;)

yeah the ones that jump fences and hit kids and the ones that beat up referees  ;)

NAG1

I would have thought it is more diffucult in the city because the arguement for lack of facilities cant really be made, or made as well.

But then again with a bit more creativity I am sure there are ways around this, I see Rossa have plans for a 'Community Hub' out anyway.

Anyone know how they are going about this?