NFL Division 1 2022

Started by Blowitupref, January 15, 2022, 08:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

There no need for it, to see that televised and occuringly on a regular basis is embarrassing. Does it occur regularly at Top level Soccer or Rugby? Not a wonder my Protestant colleagues call it bog ball and sure you always fighting all the time. If punishment was severe enough it wouldn't occur simple as that.

sans pessimism

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 27, 2022, 05:04:44 PM
A slight alteration doesn't have all of both teams, subs bench and staff involved does it.
slight alteration needed to this post methinks
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Wildweasel74

Half the problem is supporters of teams involved trying to defend the indefensible. Can't admit there a problem here. TV showed a number of players been swung to the ground so it above more than pushing or shoving. What's the subs and background team on the field getting involved for.

Armagh Girl

I'm sure RTE will show plenty of Social Media footage later, and from what i saw at the match.....there were definitely 2 Armagh players who could be in trouble along with a few Donegal, 1 Armagh player in particular if a fly touched him on the pitch it would knock him off the ball, we'll await the media circus around it....just like they did with Tyrone a few weeks ago.    But Congratulations to both our neighbours Tyrone and Monaghan for staying in Division 1 also!   

yellowcard

Lots of faux outrage, mostly from Tyrone supporters. It sounds like staving off relegation wasn't enough to satisfy them today. Most rational people thought the 4 suspensions doled out to Tyrone players was ridiculous at the time and none more so than the Tyrone fans. Now they appear to have had a conscience transplant when it comes to application of the rules just because Armagh were involved. Time to take off the red and white glasses and admit that it was much ado about nothing. Thankfully the game wasn't broadcast live on TV or the reaction would be even worse.   

Cunny Funt

The unpredictable nature of league football seen in all 4 Div 1 games this afternoon.

How many would have predicted Tyrone to beat a previously unbeaten Kerry in killarney?

It looked like Kildare's need would be greater but not only did Mayo win, they scored an impressive 2-20

What more can one say about Monaghan. Next year will be their 8th year in a row in Div 1 a serious achievement and example to many counties of their population size to what can be done.

Donegal's won in Letterkenny where they normally lose. Armagh with 3 defeat in their last 4 games, not great form going into the championship however they'll have learnt plenty about themselves in Div 1.

Story of this league has been Dublin getting relegated, might have done the great escape today but that awful start to the league proved very costly. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 27, 2022, 07:07:54 PM
Half the problem is supporters of teams involved trying to defend the indefensible. Can't admit there a problem here. TV showed a number of players been swung to the ground so it above more than pushing or shoving. What's the subs and background team on the field getting involved for.

But I've seen one post already that's looking to blame those officiating the game! Christ
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Solo_run

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 27, 2022, 07:34:23 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 27, 2022, 07:07:54 PM

But I've seen one post already that's looking to blame those officiating the game! Christ

Who blamed the officiating?

seanaglis

The row started at the end with McFadden-Ferry of Donegal going up into Aidan Nugents face and shouting. A pushing match started, with most players involved. Not a pile in it i thought. Donegal were goading armagh the whole match, with a lot of cynical fouling also. Nrs 4 and 7 for Donegal the worst culprits. They are a hard team to watch

bennydorano

Armagh are where the majority of Armagh supporters thought they might be, probably slightly ahead of pre league expectations but still a fair bit from the Top 3 teams. Beat Donegal in Championship and we could be in the Ulster Final, lose and a bad back door draw and the season's over, small margins. The inflated opinions of Armagh tend to be found outside the County from what I can see.

yellowcard

Dublin were besically out fought today by a Monaghan side that played with fire in their bellies and who in Jack McCarron had the best individual performance that I seen throughout the entire League. He doesn't always produce the performances to go with his natural ability but he stood up today and carried Monaghan to victory.

The rest of the games I can't really comment on but I was surprised to see Tyrone turning over Kerry in Killarney although Kerry probably weren't going full throttle and rested a good few players too. I feel for Kildare who had a very good League campaign yet succumbed to relegation on the final day. However they can take plenty away from their League campaign and Mayo away on the final day was always going to be tough.

Going into championship and Dublin don't look in a great place. Even a small incident like McCarthy getting red carded near the end showed an untypical lack of discipline and some of their elder statesmen like Cooper, Fitzsimmons and McCarthy look well past their best. I think this will only be exacerbated come championship when the pace of the game increases. It's almost understandable since they have done it all and it must be difficult for them to know they are in decline but also knowing that the bodies are no longer able to respond in the way they once did. I expect that there will be another 4 or 5 retirements at the end of the year and a complete rebuild will begin in earnest next year from division 2.

At the minute Kerry look like the best team in the country with Mayo next best and I expect that come July those 2 will battle it out for Sam Maguire.     

From the Bunker

Next season Div. 1 will have:

4 Ulster teams
3 Connacht teams
1 Munster team
0 Leinster teams

David McKeown

Quote from: seanaglis on March 27, 2022, 07:38:14 PM
The row started at the end with McFadden-Ferry of Donegal going up into Aidan Nugents face and shouting. A pushing match started, with most players involved. Not a pile in it i thought. Donegal were goading armagh the whole match, with a lot of cynical fouling also. Nrs 4 and 7 for Donegal the worst culprits. They are a hard team to watch

Interesting I thought what started it was Murphy running up to Grugan on the far side of the pitch and giving him a belt round the back of the head in retaliation for a kick Grugan put in on Murphy earlier. Then two other Donegal players going to assist Murphy 3 on 1. Seemed to me that Armagh men went to go to Grugan assistance. Got blocked off and things kicked off from there.

Maybe the two things were unrelated and it was just coincidence of timing.

As for the incident itself I'd be surprised if there weren't suspensions handed out, very silly thing for either team to get involved with but not entirely surprising given the needle throughout in a largely meaningless game. 
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

sidelineball

Quote from: yellowcard on March 27, 2022, 07:17:39 PM
Lots of faux outrage, mostly from Tyrone supporters. It sounds like staving off relegation wasn't enough to satisfy them today. Most rational people thought the 4 suspensions doled out to Tyrone players was ridiculous at the time and none more so than the Tyrone fans. Now they appear to have had a conscience transplant when it comes to application of the rules just because Armagh were involved. Time to take off the red and white glasses and admit that it was much ado about nothing. Thankfully the game wasn't broadcast live on TV or the reaction would be even worse.

Think you're missing the point, Tyrone folk are merely highlighting the incident so as to see how it's dealt with and whether other counties are held to same standard and punished with as much enthusiasm as Tyrone are. Very similar incidents, with todays possibly a lot more violent. Obviously we know these things happen in games and are hard to get rid of. No one wants to see them and suspensions arising from them are a bit ridiculous. However it's the consistency of investigation that will be interesting.

Solo_run

Quote from: sidelineball on March 27, 2022, 08:19:00 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 27, 2022, 07:17:39 PM

Think you're missing the point, Tyrone folk are merely highlighting the incident so as to see how it's dealt with and whether other counties are held to same standard and punished with as much enthusiasm as Tyrone are. Very similar incidents, with todays possibly a lot more violent. Obviously we know these things happen in games and are hard to get rid of. No one wants to see them and suspensions arising from them are a bit ridiculous. However it's the consistency of investigation that will be interesting.

The major difference between the incidents was that GAA upheld the red cards given to Tyrone and Armagh players by the referee but nothing else was done about the incident.

In this game I don't think any cards were given out at the end.  However, suspensions may come of it if they were able to single out players.

In my opinion it was nowhere near more violent.