KERRY
LAOIS ABÚ

shark

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 12, 2016, 12:09:02 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 12, 2016, 11:59:38 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 12, 2016, 11:56:06 AM
Quote from: seafoid on April 12, 2016, 11:49:07 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 12, 2016, 11:27:37 AM
Would they get a better rattle in Connacht seafoid? Ye haven't exactly been sickening Mayo recently.
4 counties have won connacht in the last 15 years in fairness. Leinster football is a shambles. Stockholm syndrome .
Mayo will be knocked off their f**king perch (copyright Ferguson) soon enough. I just wish they would win the all Ireland.

And 5 counties in Leinster have won it in the last 16 years.

Dublin if they existed in Connacht would do the exact same and more. Meath/Kildare/Laois/Westmeath would have all flourished in Connacht. This isn't a Dublin problem, it's not a Leinster problem it's a GAA problem.
Dinny did the qualifier system contribute to the problem in Leinster?

In what way?

The earlier qualifier years helped provide momentum for Westmeath's breakthrough in 2004. Not sure if Laois would say the same thing regarding 2003 or not. Without the qualifiers Westmeath would have been out of the 2001 championship in early summer after a quarter final loss to Meath. In the end they finished the year believing they could have won the all-Ireland (rightly or wrongly).
It's not Dublin's fault that so many of the counties in Leinster are in a heap. However it must be bloody demoralising.  Young players are getting preconditioned to being stuffed by Dublin at minor and u21, and it's hard to lift from that.  As pointed out elsewhere, only Kildare look capable of stepping up to the challenge in the coming years.

seafoid

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 12, 2016, 12:09:02 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 12, 2016, 11:59:38 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 12, 2016, 11:56:06 AM
Quote from: seafoid on April 12, 2016, 11:49:07 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 12, 2016, 11:27:37 AM
Would they get a better rattle in Connacht seafoid? Ye haven't exactly been sickening Mayo recently.
4 counties have won connacht in the last 15 years in fairness. Leinster football is a shambles. Stockholm syndrome .
Mayo will be knocked off their f**king perch (copyright Ferguson) soon enough. I just wish they would win the all Ireland.

And 5 counties in Leinster have won it in the last 16 years.

Dublin if they existed in Connacht would do the exact same and more. Meath/Kildare/Laois/Westmeath would have all flourished in Connacht. This isn't a Dublin problem, it's not a Leinster problem it's a GAA problem.
Dinny did the qualifier system contribute to the problem in Leinster?

In what way?
They never won 10 Leinsters in 11 years when it was knockout. I dunno. what is driving the Dublin dominance. It can't just be money. there is a serious problem in Offaly, Meath and Kildare going on as well. er

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: seafoid on April 12, 2016, 03:22:49 PM
They never won 10 Leinsters in 11 years when it was knockout. I dunno. what is driving the Dublin dominance. It can't just be money. there is a serious problem in Offaly, Meath and Kildare going on as well. er

Dublin reached six AI Finals in a row (1974 to 1979) long before "the money" and when all their Leinster games (apart from the Leinster Final) were played around Leinster. 
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

screenexile

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 12, 2016, 11:58:38 AM
Quote from: seafoid on April 12, 2016, 11:57:06 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 12, 2016, 11:54:18 AM
In the last 15 years? Meath, Westmeath, Laois have also won Leinsters in the last 15 years.
it is 3/5 over 10y vs 2/12 in Leinster
Even Kilkenny didn't win 10/11.

You're missing the point. Dublin would do exactly the same, or probably worse, in Connacht. If Offaly could escape into Connacht for Football, I bet you €100 they'd be in a Connacht Final within 5 years, at the very least.

If you are talking about the last 15 or 10 years I don't think this is fair.

Mayo played the Dubs in 2006, 2011, 2013 & twice in 2015. In those games Mayo won 2, drew 1 and lost 2. No one comes near to that in Leinster in the same period, so I can't see the evidence that Dublin would do 'worse' in Connacht, especially seeing as they have won 10 of the last 11 Leinsters.

As for Offaly in a Connacht Final in 5 years, that would definitely be possible. But they would need to improve to be knocking out anyone from Galway, Roscommon or Mayo.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

True, but Dublin would wear them down eventually with production lines. What's going on in Mayo is not sustainable in the same way what Dublin are doing is. It's not that way anywhere else. I worry less about the seniors than I do about U14s, 15s, 16, minors and 21s.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 12, 2016, 03:49:35 PM
True, but Dublin would wear them down eventually with production lines. What's going on in Mayo is not sustainable in the same way what Dublin are doing is. It's not that way anywhere else. I worry less about the seniors than I do about U14s, 15s, 16, minors and 21s.

This is probably true. We seem to be happy enough to wait for a talented bunch to come along at minor or U-21 and hope for the best.
MWWSI 2017

comeysfield

Quote from: muppet on April 12, 2016, 03:52:38 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 12, 2016, 03:49:35 PM

This is probably true. We seem to be happy enough to wait for a talented bunch to come along at minor or U-21 and hope for the best.

What kind of underage structure for development squads do Offaly, Meath and Kildare have ? Is there a n U17 competition in Lunster ?

Canalman

Dublin really would have a case to answer imo anyway if other Leinster counties were tearing up trees in the qualifiers and also playing by and large in Divisions 1 and  2. Not the case and Dublin cannot be blamed for that.

Have fairly major respect for most Leinster counties who are knuckling down now with development squads, GPOs etc to improve their lot............. and improve they will.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Canalman on April 12, 2016, 04:00:33 PM
Dublin really would have a case to answer imo anyway if other Leinster counties were tearing up trees in the qualifiers and also playing by and large in Divisions 1 and  2. Not the case and Dublin cannot be blamed for that.

Have fairly major respect for most Leinster counties who are knuckling down now with development squads, GPOs etc to improve their lot............. and improve they will.

Eh you do know Kildare have the 1st or 2nd best qualifier record in the country and that Kildare have been division 1/2 bar this years Division 3 Sabbatical for the past decade.
#newbridgeornowhere

Zulu

I'd be very interested to hear what strategic planning other Leinster counties have undertaken to bridge the gap. As far as I know the Offaly underage football development program is highly rated and Kildare are obviously doing something right, Longford too, but I'm not sure about the rest.

For me, the crucial period is 6-16. If you have clubs coaching players properly and developing technically proficient good decision makers then you should be able to compete. You don't need huge money to do this but you do need educated committed coaches in the clubs (of which I'm sure there are many) and county boards can help here.

I think counties like Kildare and Meath can certainly close the gap as they have substantial populations themselves but the likes of Laois and Offaly may only ever do so when they get an exceptional group. In saying that Dublin won't have a Cluxton, Connolly, Brogan in every team. There's hope for all teams but they need to take their player development seriously.

Syferus

Money. In the end money is the washer on the population bolt. You can do a decent job trying to compete with a massive county at underage because money feeds into their development less, at least before they hit minor. But when you add money to it the connotion becomes toxic and everyone else is left chasing shadows and piling up debt trying to keep up.

Football is on the verge of disaster.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Zulu on April 12, 2016, 04:59:54 PM
I'd be very interested to hear what strategic planning other Leinster counties have undertaken to bridge the gap. As far as I know the Offaly underage football development program is highly rated and Kildare are obviously doing something right, Longford too, but I'm not sure about the rest.

For me, the crucial period is 6-16. If you have clubs coaching players properly and developing technically proficient good decision makers then you should be able to compete. You don't need huge money to do this but you do need educated committed coaches in the clubs (of which I'm sure there are many) and county boards can help here.

I think counties like Kildare and Meath can certainly close the gap as they have substantial populations themselves but the likes of Laois and Offaly may only ever do so when they get an exceptional group. In saying that Dublin won't have a Cluxton, Connolly, Brogan in every team. There's hope for all teams but they need to take their player development seriously.

And as always that comes down to money..
#newbridgeornowhere

seafoid

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on April 12, 2016, 03:39:34 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 12, 2016, 03:22:49 PM

Dublin reached six AI Finals in a row (1974 to 1979) long before "the money" and when all their Leinster games (apart from the Leinster Final) were played around Leinster.
6 is still.less than 10 at least in Euros