Probable team for weekend

Clarke

Barrett  Cafferkey   Howley
Vaughan  Higgins   Mc Loughlin

S O Se  R Mc Garrity

Moran   A O Se    Dillon
Ronladson    Moran  Freeman

6 changes from Sligo, with both Morts gone

That's what I'm hearing too RedCol, except that Harte is in contention to bump McGarrity out. But injury could restrict that move - maybe Moysider knows the sceal there?

It would be some turnaround that, if that team goes out. Has JOM the balls to go through with such a changed team and, crucially, admit he made a balls of picking the team for the Sligo game? Time will tell. In fairness on our last early sojourn to the qualifiers in 2007 he brought in Barry Moran, Tom Cunniffe, Pierce Hanley and David Kilcullen and moved Trevor Mort to wing-back. The precendent is there. Big question - who will captain that team? Clarke I'd say.

Harte wouldn't be 100%, otherwise I d expect him straight in. Kilcoyne too. Don.t know what the thinking is with Howley at corner back though. They seem very slow gettin some things into their heads, if that s the case.

Farrandeelin

It would be some change alright. Hope he has the balls to do it and to motivate the players who do come out on Sunday to do their very best and to steamroll Longford into the ground. It's really annoying that the minor game is on at 5. They SHOULD move it to the Sunday, but who am I just an ordinary GAA supporter who wants to watch both... >:(
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 22, 2010, 07:17:38 PM
Quote from: Hardy on June 22, 2010, 02:49:52 PM
... then we'll have to have:

So boys stick together in all kinds of weather.
Don't show the white feather wherever you go.
Be like a brother and help one another
Like true hearted men from the County Mayo

I won't be able to make it on Saturday, but I'm practising my muttering in the back garden. It's going well so far and I managed a 90-second non-stop mutter yesterday evening. I'm not sure what I'm muttering about yet, but I'm sure that'll come to me with time.
God help us, Hardy, you seem to have an errant gene or two in your makeup!
I'll bet if you check your family tree, there's a Mayo ancestor in there somewhere. ;D

queue hardy choking on his pint of beamish  ;) :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 22, 2010, 09:37:34 PM
It would be some change alright. Hope he has the balls to do it and to motivate the players who do come out on Sunday to do their very best and to steamroll Longford into the ground. It's really annoying that the minor game is on at 5. They SHOULD move it to the Sunday, but who am I just an ordinary GAA supporter who wants to watch both... >:(

I assume that s the senior match you re talking about. No reason it could not have been played on the Sunday. That way those that want to can see both. It s not likely that Mayo fans - the few bothered still- would be heading to Salthill on the Sunday. Heaven forbid surely its not so that people might be watching the Sunday game. On the other hand the minor match was fixed by the Connacht Council months ago and no way the young lads and minor managements should be messed about at this stage with changed dates or times. Maybe Croke Park might have checked out the Connacht Council before making this fixture. Then again they didn't have to because the qualifiers nothing to do with the provincial councils.

AbbeySider

Quote from: REDCOL on June 22, 2010, 03:22:11 PM
Probable team for weekend

Clarke
Barrett  Cafferkey   Howley
Vaughan  Higgins   Mc Loughlin
S O Se  R Mc Garrity
Moran   A O Se    Dillon
Ronladson    Moran  Freeman

6 changes from Sligo, with both Morts gone

Im not going to doubt REDCOL as he was on the money with the last team he named!  ;)

Thats some changes if it does happen. I dont mean to dance on the graves of players who are not starting but im pleased that Cunniffe, Trev Mort, BJP and Parsons are not starting. I think Conor is a little bit hard done by but riding the bench may do him no harm either.

There is good balance and symmetry to the team. Fast pacey corner backs and a decent full bac;, im just hoping that not too many high balls rain down as Cafferkey isnt fantastic in the air (never was his forte), and the other two are a bit small but I guess they are the best of what we have. Howley seems more natural to the corner, he is tenacious and fights for possession, even if he over commits sometimes but im looking forward to see how he does

Its a very attacking half back line and I would expect all three to be making penetrating runs and join the attack. However defending is their primary objective so hopefully they will remember that and not attack together and leave huge holes in the defence.

Delighted S OS is getting his championship start at mid-field. He is the workhorse that will do the hitting and grafting all day and is well able to do that role. Its takes that pressure off McGarrity (or Harte) who can concentrate on wining the fielding battle.

Moran, A O Se and Dillon is the most interesting line. Foreverhopeful will cream himself at the site of AOS at CF but I still dont think he has the pace for it and I can see Rolandson and himself switch when he is running out of gas. At the same time, it gives Dillon more of an attacking role to get forward and get on the scoreboard. I hope that AOS will spray it around as much as the likes of Dillon or Ronaldson as he can tend to play with the head down.

A big game is needed from the Fullforward line. Id expect Freeman and Moran to get goal chances and to stick them but im not sure about Ronladson playing inside. I guess he is getting the nod ahead of Varley, who never settled against Sligo and Connoreen who id expect to be sprung from the bench at some stage. He deserves a shot as much as every after a decent campaign earlier in the season but I think he is more natural to CF.

RedandGreenSniper

Aidan O'Shea's best position is at number 11. I just hope that he can overcome his recent poor form for Saturday but it is the position Mayo should be looking at him for in the future.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on June 23, 2010, 11:01:18 AM
Aidan O'Shea's best position is at number 11. I just hope that he can overcome his recent poor form for Saturday but it is the position Mayo should be looking at him for in the future.

I wouldnt disagree, he played some brilliant football there for the minors. He was exceptional in the first Tyrone game in Croke Park as he caught balls around the middle and ran defences ragged.

Since then he has gotten much bulkier so my only concern is if has the mobility for it at IC level. I know he plays well there for Breaffy and its a commonly held belief its his best position but I wont be totally convinced until I see it at Senior level for Mayo.

Its an unorthodox selection from a Mayo standpoint. I mean, he is a powerhouse who causes panic when he runs in straight lines at defences, as he has no major dummy or jink that Declan O Suillivan, Dillon, Alan Brogan, Seán Cavanagh or the likes have. My point is we are used to seeing very polished and silky skilled players playing Centre Forward so it will be interesting to see how he does and what that dynamic it will bring to the game.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 23, 2010, 11:41:21 AM

I wouldnt disagree, he played some brilliant football there for the minors. He was exceptional in the first Tyrone game in Croke Park as he caught balls around the middle and ran defences ragged.

Since then he has gotten much bulkier so my only concern is if has the mobility for it at IC level. I know he plays well there for Breaffy and its a commonly held belief its his best position but I wont be totally convinced until I see it at Senior level for Mayo.

Its an unorthodox selection from a Mayo standpoint. I mean, he is a powerhouse who causes panic when he runs in straight lines at defences, as he has no major dummy or jink that Declan O Suillivan, Dillon, Alan Brogan, Seán Cavanagh or the likes have. My point is we are used to seeing very polished and silky skilled players playing Centre Forward so it will be interesting to see how he does and what that dynamic it will bring to the game.

He's quite a polished player himself. I think you're being unfair on him, just describing him as all power and no panache. My main concern would be his current form, not his ability in the role. We'll see how he goes Saturday.

moysider

Can we just assume that is going to be the team? Apart from playing Trevor Howley at cb I quite like the team, but would prefer if Harte was fit to start. Don t get me wrong I think Howley should start - but in his best role, doing what he does for the club. His problems at 6 will be compounded at 2. He s loose and ball watches, probably too slow for the position and will foul as a result.

AbbeySider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on June 23, 2010, 11:44:14 AM

He's quite a polished player himself. I think you're being unfair on him, just describing him as all power and no panache. My main concern would be his current form, not his ability in the role. We'll see how he goes Saturday.

Well hang on a sec, I didnt meant to be taken up like that.
He is actually an exceptional footballer in my eyes and has a certain panache to him. I think he has a wonderful strike of the ball and has the ability to carry it through or around the best.

But I dont believe that the players I mentioned have near the power or tackle breaking ability he has.

I wouldnt be very worried about his current form. I said it here before, that Cork marked him out of the game and swarmed him when he got on the ball. That is easy to do when a player is playing in an inside forward line where room is limited. But on a half forward line, especially at CF it will be a different story.

IMO O Shea is the type of player that loves the big day and will rise to any challenge. He is the kind of guy that is afraid of nothing anybody he is playing against and doesnt have the baggage or fear other players may have. I can see him having a big game the next day.

Farrandeelin

I can't see Howley remaining in corner back. I  would imagine he will be put back at no 6 again and Higgins moving to Howley's corner back position. And to be honest, he doesn't cut it there.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

western exile

With Barden and Kavanagh both likely to play in the full forward line for Longford, whoever plays at corner back will need to be on their toes

muppet

The choice of Captain is obvious to me. Keith Higgins.

He may also be the solution at CHB but he tends to be the solution to a lot of problems such as whoever is going well up front for the opposition.

I agree with those who don't see AOS as a CHF. If we aren't going to have the twin towers then maybe we should play Moran at midfield, Freeman at FF and AOS at 15.

Also I disagree with the Caff bashing. When Sligo started O'Hara at FF and put in high balls there was only one winner. Cafferty is well on his way to being a top IC full back. I hope he doesn't read this site as there are those here who might try to persuade him otherwise.

Dillon if he is fully fit, will be a big addition. Andy Moran needs to deliver way more end product. For all of his possession the last day he only scored one point and I don't recall any scores set up either.

As an aside I cannot remember as little interest in a Mayo match in a long time.
MWWSI 2017

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 23, 2010, 11:54:20 AM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on June 23, 2010, 11:44:14 AM

Well hang on a sec, I didnt meant to be taken up like that.
He is actually an exceptional footballer in my eyes and has a certain panache to him. I think he has a wonderful strike of the ball and has the ability to carry it through or around the best.

But I dont believe that the players I mentioned have near the power or tackle breaking ability he has.

I wouldnt be very worried about his current form. I said it here before, that Cork marked him out of the game and swarmed him when he got on the ball. That is easy to do when a player is playing in an inside forward line where room is limited. But on a half forward line, especially at CF it will be a different story.

IMO O Shea is the type of player that loves the big day and will rise to any challenge. He is the kind of guy that is afraid of nothing anybody he is playing against and doesnt have the baggage or fear other players may have. I can see him having a big game the next day.

Fair enough, I'd agree more with your comments here than the previous ones. He's a very powerful player but I feel he can be very creative at 11 too. We'll see.

Agree with Muppet on the Ger Caff issue. He's been one of our better players since he was dropped after the Derry game. He's really growing into the role and, at a time when we're struggling in so many positions, we should leave talk of him being a problem well to one side.

Shamrock Shore

Can Longford spring Mayo shock on Saturday

Longford have been involved in a few high profile All-Ireland Qualifiers in recent years and after running the eventual champions Kerry to four points at the local GAA headquarters last season, the Pearse Park factor is a definite advantage in the hope of springing a major shock against Mayo on Saturday evening next, throw-in 7pm.

By Padraic O'Brien | Longford Leader

Back in 2006 Longford scored a sensational win over Derry by a solitary point (1-16 to 2-12) in Round 3 of the qualifiers at Pearse Park and while the current team is clearly not as strong with a couple of key players missing (Padraig Berry and David Barden), there is some good news for manager Glenn Ryan as attacker Brian Kavanagh is back in action after recovering from injury.

A broken bone in his foot ruled Kavanagh out of the recent Leinster Championship clash against Louth in Portlaoise and a lack of scoring power cost Longford dearly, reflected in the numerous missed opportunities at O'Moore Park.

In fact, they failed to register a score for the last half hour in losing by four points (1-11 to 1-7) against a Louth team who were there for the taking.

What Louth achieved in the next round was rather remarkable as they improved beyond recognition to score a shock six-point win over a strongly fancied Kildare outfit at Pairc Tailteann in Navan and the wee county are now looking forward to a semi-final showdown against Westmeath at Croke Park on Sunday next with high hopes of reaching the Leinster Senior Football Final for the first time since 1960.

Longford must settle instead for a second chance against the might of Mayo, the 2009 Connacht champions who ended up in the qualifiers after falling at the first hurdle in the current provincial campaign when suffering a surprise 0-15 to 1-8 defeat against Sligo who have emerged as a real force to be reckoned with under the guidance of former Galway star Kevin Walsh.

A recent article in the Sunday Independent suggested that Mayo had no soul or spirit and were going nowhere fast and while that appears to be a rather harsh statement with a lot of talented players at their disposal, manager John O'Mahony is obviously under pressure and the supporters of the success starved western county will be demanding a big impact in the qualifiers.

Having said that, Mayo did manage to win the All-Ireland U-21 Football Championship title in 2006 and seven players who featured in that final victory against Cork (1-13 to 1-11) four years ago were in action against Sligo in the recent disappointing defeat at Markievicz Park.

Defenders Ger Cafferkey, Keith Higgins and Tom Cunniffe and forwards Seamus O'Shea and Enda Varley all started against Sligo while Mark Ronaldson and Barry Moran were brought on in the closing stages of the game.

A steady supply of quality footballers have emerged in Mayo during the past number of years and that is hardly surprising when you take into account that they also contested the 2001 and 2004 All-Ireland U-21 Finals, losing to Tyrone and Armagh respectively, and the Connacht county have also appeared in five All-Ireland Minor Finals since 1999.

But the bitter disappointment of defeat was suffered on each occasion, starting with Down 11 years ago and subsequent failures against Cork (2000), Down (2005), Tyrone (2008) and Armagh (2009). The tussle with Tyrone ended in a draw but Mayo lost the replay after extra-time at Longford's Pearse Park.

Mayo also reached the All-Ireland Senior Football Final in 2004 and 2006 but found the going too tough against Kerry on both occasions with the Kingdom really lording it at Croke Park in the 2006 decider as they cruised to a most emphatic 4-15 to 3-5 title triumph.

That was a crushing blow for Mayo football in a decade of under achieving when it came to the crunch and their tale of woe continued when they also had to settle for second best against Meath (2-15 to 1-15) in last year's All-Ireland quarter-final, a game they were confidently expected to win at the expense of the royal county who came through the qualifiers.

Politician John O'Mahony TD returned to manage Mayo in 2007 after a previous spell in charge 16 years previously and while he guided his native county to the National League Division 1 Final against Cork this season it was the same old story as they crashed to a disappointing 1-17 to 0-12 defeat at Croke Park.

With Alan Dillon and Aidan Kilcoyne (who both missed the Sligo game) having recovered from injury, the Mayo attack is back to full strength with full-forward Alan Freeman providing a major threat along with the Mortimer brothers Conor and Trevor while former Longford Town soccer player Andy Moran is also expected to feature up front.

Ex-Minor star Aidan O'Shea is also in contention to start against Longford while Tom Parsons will probably be partnered at centrefield by Ronan McGarrity with Billy Joe Padden another option in the middle of the park.

Make no mistake about it, Mayo will be extremely hard beaten despite the current struggle but playing at Pearse Park must be worth a few points to Longford who are hoping that Diarmuid Masterson recovers from a knee injury with a scan revealing no serious damage.

If Diarmuid is fit to play he will have to figure prominently in the defence along with the other central figure Enda Williams in a tough battle to contain the threat of the Mayo forwards but Masterson might start alongside Bernard McElvaney at midfield with Barry Gilleran occupying the full-back position as he did in the qualifiers against Leitrim and Kerry last season.

It looks as though Declan Reilly will return to the backs where he is much more effective and thus the roving role of the third midfielder will probably rest with Paddy Dowd who is playing excellent football at the moment.

Longford will be looking to Brian Kavanagh, Paul Barden, Francis McGee, Kevin Mulligan and Sean McCormack to make their presence felt in the forward division and all are well capable of posing problems for the Mayo defence.

Whether the home attack can get enough scores to set up a shock result remains to be seen but John O'Mahony's men are clearly the stronger side, reflected in the respective 2010 National League positions with Mayo finishing second in Division 1 while Longford ended up third from bottom in Division 4 ahead of London and Kilkenny - a terrible campaign which has led to increasing calls for the end of the Glenn Ryan regime.

On their previous two trips through the back door Mayo crashed to a bad 2-13 to 1-6 defeat against Derry at Celtic Park in 2007 but almost beat the eventual All-Ireland champions Tyrone a year later at Croke Park with just a solitary point separating the sides.

If Mayo play to their true potential at Pearse Park on Saturday next then they should succeed in beating Longford with a few points to spare.

After all, they hammered Roscommon 3-18 to 0-7 in the Connacht semi-final last year before going on to beat old rivals Galway in the decider with defender Peadar Gardiner scoring the winning point in stoppage time.

A big attendance is expected for this attractive fixture with the bright prospect of an entertaining encounter between attack-minded teams but the odds are stacked against Longford in their quest to end Mayo's interest in this year's All-Ireland Championship.

Copyright Longford Leader