Manager's Salaries

Started by trailer, December 08, 2023, 10:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeog

Sigerson is great for young lads with a sporting talent maybe not academic get into Unis that in years gone by they could only dream about.

RedHand88

Quote from: thewobbler on December 09, 2023, 08:18:47 AM
Quote from: Eire90 on December 08, 2023, 10:53:19 PMCould a gaa franchise league be succesful say beetween 8 and 10 teams

If spectator levels at the Railway Cup, Sigerson Cup and Combined Rules have taught us anything, it's that people don't go Gaelic Games to watch players. They go watch teams they're emotionally attached to.

This is exactly right. People go for their local club/county. If Darragh Canavan moved to another county I'd forget about him overnight.

pbat

There is a very simple solution to the mercenary manager's but the GAA have to many involved in the cash cow merry go round and with self interests to consider it.

A rule were club manager's must be appointed from within the club and county managers from with the county. If a club has a genuine reason why they can appoint from within the must get approval from the county board and similar if a county cant appoint from within the need approval from central council.

Then if outside trainers, fitness coaches etc are added to the ticket the club must stamp there card's as employee's. 

This wont completely eradicate it at county level when you see O Rourke's fees, but will definitely help at club level and might also lead to getting the club game back to were it was intended to be as a hobby and not a chore driven by lunatics who come up with mad ideas to bolster there CV for the next gig.

intheknowhow

Quote from: pbat on December 09, 2023, 11:57:23 AMThere is a very simple solution to the mercenary manager's but the GAA have to many involved in the cash cow merry go round and with self interests to consider it.

A rule were club manager's must be appointed from within the club and county managers from with the county. If a club has a genuine reason why they can appoint from within the must get approval from the county board and similar if a county cant appoint from within the need approval from central council.

Then if outside trainers, fitness coaches etc are added to the ticket the club must stamp there card's as employee's. 

This wont completely eradicate it at county level when you see O Rourke's fees, but will definitely help at club level and might also lead to getting the club game back to were it was intended to be as a hobby and not a chore driven by lunatics who come up with mad ideas to bolster there CV for the next gig.

You can not be serious...

thewobbler

Eventually there'll be a test case that will shake things up. Some high-profile manager with various other debatable business interests will be investigated thoroughly.

I would reckon in such a test case, that the GAA club / county involved might get a slap in the wrists, especially if it's not in their accounts - but the burden of paying (repaying) income tax will fall on the individual.

And that's why these payments are starting to appear in financial accounts. Managers are being assigned as freelance consultants, and their choice to pay taxes is no different to that of a physio.

Problem for the GAA is that when this (and it will) all comes tumbling down, the cost of hiring managers and selectors is going to go up 30-30% overnight. As the buggers will still expect the same take home pay.

DuffleKing

I would have thought they're all (bar the stupid ones) paying tax on income beyond expenses.

Not sure how anyone thinks they would know about it if that was the case.

thewobbler

Quote from: DuffleKing on December 09, 2023, 01:29:34 PMI would have thought they're all (bar the stupid ones) paying tax on income beyond expenses.

Not sure how anyone thinks they would know about it if that was the case.

Why would someone pay tax on a wage that doesn't exist? ie if there's no record of a payment being made... then how could you go about paying tax on it?

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

DuffleKing

Of course it exists - ffs most get it through a DD. Those people surely declare the income in their return.

thewobbler

Duffleking how do you qualify "most" in that musing?

DuffleKing

My own club, club next door and a handful of coaches I know operate in that way.

Coaches declare additional income after the expense of doing the job and pay tax on it.

thewobbler

Quote from: DuffleKing on December 09, 2023, 01:48:02 PMMy own club, club next door and a handful of coaches I know operate in that way.

Coaches declare additional income after the expense of doing the job and pay tax on it.

Which is a small sample size to be fair.

FWIW I'm aware of clubs that pay by DD and who declare every last penny spent on senior football mgt.

I'm also aware of clubs that pay cash in hand, and they balance the books by not declaring income from various sources.

I'm also aware of clubs in which  management are paid directly by sponsors. The money never enters or leaves the club, so has no reason to appear in accounts.

I don't of course know how this extrapolates into behaviour across Ireland. But I know enough to raise a bloody big eyebrow at your assertions that most GAA managers pay income tax on their "wages".

Milltown Row2

So is this a tax issue or the fact that clubs/counties pay managers?

This has been happening well over 50 odd years, putting a lid on that will prove to be very difficult

I've absolutely no problems with a sponsor putting his hands in his own pockets and funding his club or county, and people getting their knickers in a twist for someone not paying some tax while the government do feck all on global corporates

I do have an issue when a club sources it through their own resources as that money could be spent elsewhere for all of the club to benefit
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on December 10, 2023, 09:43:16 AMSurely the investment from the sponsors could be used across the whole club?
Where do you stand with a sponsor giving the club's best player £30k to keep him from going travelling?
Or a sponsor giving a good player from another county a house and a salary to come and play for his club?

It's his money, he can do what he wants with it, I'd prefer it's spent on the infrastructure of the club, changing rooms, stands, paid coach across all the teams.

Not for me to tell someone how to spend their own money though
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea