POTY 2012

Started by ONeill, August 20, 2012, 12:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chocoholic

Too early to name them in my opinion.

So far, we Marty McHugh has been brilliant.
Joe Canning depending on what he does in the final is another certainty.

Hound

2 mentions for Paul Flynn already!

Having a reasonably good season, a strong contender to retain his All Star, but I wouldnt put him anywhere near the best player in the country this year.

Against Laois the last day for example he gave away a heap of ball.

He always get loads of credit for "unseen workrate". But if you follow him closely he doesnt work harder than anyone else.

Not that I'm not happy to have him on my team. Very good fielder and capable of putting in good ball and taking points. But he's absolutely not as consistent as some say.

Kevin Nolan is Dublin's best player this year to date, but the real big game(s) to come of course

Declan

QuoteKevin Nolan is Dublin's best player this year to date
Agreed

ross4life

Agreed Lacey,McHugh Donegal's best players & Nolan the best for Dublin. Andy Moran was better last year and wasn't in the running for player of year Mayo's best players this year has been Alan Dillion,Barry Moran or Cafferkey.

Paddy McBrearty looks a good bet for young player of the year & Joe Canning in Hurling.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

saffron sam2

Quote from: ONeill on August 20, 2012, 12:56:45 PM
Another worker bee performance from McHugh puts him in the picture

I don't get the McHugh mania, a man who routinely toe taps the ball high above his head, to a height only Gerard O'Kane and Colm Cavanagh can come close to matching. A poor man's Dooher and Dooher is near 40.

Lacey, Murphy and McFadden (especially McFadden) should be way ahead of the Kilcar man.

Pity they rarely recognise keepers because Durcan has been smashing.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

CitySlicker11

Club Rossa

Frank McGlynn and Joe Canning

onefaircounty

Frank McGlynn for myself too.

Nally Stand

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

yellowcard

McFadden edging out McGlynn at the minute but if Cork beat Donegal neither of these 2 players will get it. Anyone could still win this with 2 big performances.

Asal Mor

Quote from: ONeill on August 20, 2012, 10:39:42 AM
Karl Lacey @ 25/1.

Good call O Neill. I see he's 3/1 favorite now. Hope ya had a few quid on at 25s.

Craigyhill Terror

McGlynn, McFadden, McHugh and (until yesterday) Bradley have been Donegal's best players by a fair way this season. This season Lacey has been very good but nowhere near the level he was at last year when he wasn't even nominated for POTY (a farce).

Oak Leafer

I wouldn't say Lacey has been nowhere near the level of last year, i just think others have stepped up to the mark. He was my MOTM yesterday. I don't think anyone would deny him the award if he got it

Other than McFaddens individual performance against Kerry, it has been very difficult to call the MOTM in each of Donegal's games. They easily have 4 or 5 competing each time.

BennyCake

Gallagher was awesome yesterday. There's 3 or 4 Donegal players who will be in contention for POTY.

Oak Leafer

Gallagher was indeed awesome yesterday but fact he has missed a good chunk of games through injury, will rule him out.

What is the age limit on young player of the year? To me McHugh will get this if 22 isn't too old!