Alan Ball has died

Started by An Fear Rua, April 25, 2007, 08:59:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fear Rua

ex Everton and Arsenal midfielder , and English winner of World Cup has died during the night, aged 61 years.

He will also be remembered in Manchester for encouraging Steve Lomas to hold the ball in the corner during a 2-2 draw with Liverpool while manager of City, a game City needed to win to stay up.
Its Grim up North

Great Leap Forward

A suspected heart attack whle putting out a fire is his back garden.

The first player to wear white boots apparently.

Declan

QuoteThe first player to wear white boots apparently.

Indeed he was - I remember getting them for christmas 1974 -  well my mother told me they were the same but the plastic cutting into my heels told me they weren't exact replicas!!!!

T Fearon

Sad news. Saw him play for England, in the famous game when George Best scored "that goal" against Gordon Banks at the Stadium of Hate. Not bad for an ex Goon I suppose.

I have in my possession a 1966 replica England jersey signed by 10 players (Bobby Moore is the missing one) with certificate of authenticity. I assume it has appreciated in value

Great Leap Forward

Quote from: T Fearon on April 25, 2007, 10:18:08 AM
Sad news. Saw him play for England, in the famous game when George Best scored "that goal" against Gordon Banks at the Stadium of Hate. Not bad for an ex Goon I suppose.

I have in my possession a 1966 replica England jersey signed by 10 players (Bobby Moore is the missing one) with certificate of authenticity. I assume it has appreciated in value

Ball was one of the main reasons England won the final. He was the only player on the field going full tilt during extra time.

full back

Heard Lawrie Mc Menamy saying this morning that in the 66 World Cup Ball & Stiles were told the only thing they had to do was chase down the ball win it & give it to Charlton :D
Point he was making was every team needed a player like Ball or Stiles
RIP

blasmere

Quote from: full back on April 25, 2007, 10:33:53 AM
Heard Lawrie Mc Menamy saying this morning that in the 66 World Cup Ball & Stiles were told the only thing they had to do was chase down the ball win it & give it to Charlton :D
Point he was making was every team needed a player like Ball or Stiles
RIP

That's right, McMenemy said that Ramsey told Ball and Stiles - you know when you throw a stick to a dog and the dog brings it back to you, well you've got to bring the ball back and give it to Bobby Charlton
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree

T Fearon

The team must have disobeyed Ramsey then, given it was Hurst and Peters who got the goals ;D

GweylTah

An opportunity to pay tribute to a great footballer and, by all accounts, nice man, and still you can't manage to let the chance pass to sully it with petty rubbish about a 'stadium of hate'.

You seem very sad, I feel sorry for you.

Spiritof98

Quote from: GweylTah on April 25, 2007, 12:38:04 PM

An opportunity to pay tribute to a great footballer and, by all accounts, nice man, and still you can't manage to let the chance pass to sully it with petty rubbish about a 'stadium of hate'.

Likewise you have the oppertunity also but you also cant resist a pop at Fearon, 2 of a kind.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

GweylTah

Spirit of 98, someone had to criticise T Fearon for using the thread as an unsuitable platform. I haven't hi-jacked it,  merely criticised T Fearon for doing so.

I don't feel it appropriate to use someones death like this a political platform. End of.

his holiness nb

Drop it lads  >:(
RIP Alan, didnt know him as a footballer but in the interviews I saw him in he appeared to be a nice guy
Ask me holy bollix

Great Leap Forward

Quote from: his holiness nb on April 25, 2007, 01:08:22 PM
Drop it lads  >:(
RIP Alan, didnt know him as a footballer but in the interviews I saw him in he appeared to be a nice guy

He seemed to have a vibrant personality that rubbed off on anybody that played with him.

He had had to overcome a lot of personal setbacks as well, losing his da in a car crash and his wife with Cancer.

Rufus T Firefly

Another great character lost - Rest In Peace.

Quote from: GweylTah on April 25, 2007, 12:38:04 PM

You seem very gullible, I feel sorry for you. 

Peter Solan the Great