The Haas Talks

Started by Orior, September 20, 2013, 11:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: AQMP on February 27, 2014, 04:02:48 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 27, 2014, 03:56:54 PM
I'm not being political in any way here but it says that letters were sent to those 'On the Run' - if they were 'on the run' how did they know where to send the letters to?

Gerry Kelly hand delivered them!! 

I'd say they went through SF or in some cases solicitors.

Aye & probably got another lift off the peelers to get round faster!

orangeman

Quote from: Rossfan on February 28, 2014, 07:25:39 PM
I see the Stormont Assembly condemned the Brit Govt over the issue today( 56 to 27)
Does that mean
1- The British Government has to resign and hold a General Election?
2- Did the SDLP support the Unionist motion.?
3 - Does anyone give two fcuks what that Assembly does once the pay cheques keep coming?

1. Never
2. Never
3. Never

As big Ian would say.

Now I know what he meant all along.

Maguire01

Quote from: Rossfan on February 28, 2014, 07:25:39 PM
I see the Stormont Assembly condemned the Brit Govt over the issue today( 56 to 27)
Does that mean
1- The British Government has to resign and hold a General Election?
2- Did the SDLP support the Unionist motion.?
3 - Does anyone give two fcuks what that Assembly does once the pay cheques keep coming?
Voted in both the Ayes and Noes according to the record - positively abstaining.

Saffrongael

Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

orangeman

Maguire01

Quote from: Saffrongael on March 01, 2014, 11:20:52 AM
Quote from: Goldengreen on February 27, 2014, 05:12:38 PM
Elsewhere in the news:

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/donegal-news/event-to-mark-downey-return-1-5903875

come on down if you are in the area its a free event  ;)

Downey has cancelled the event
Good call - nice to see a bit of common sense prevailing. 

Gaffer

Wee Willie will be peeved!

He has the diesel in the tractor and was on his way up for a wee protest!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

glens abu

In a statement issued through Sinn Féin, Mr Downey said tonight's homecoming event was not intended to insult or add to the hurt of anyone bereaved in the attack.

"Some elements of the media are portraying the event planned for tonight as triumphalist and insulting to bereaved families.  That was never what it was about," Mr Downey said.

The Sinn Féin member said that he has worked to promote peace and reconciliation and never intended to insult or hurt anyone.

"I am only too aware of their pain as there are many bereaved families also in the republican community."

Mr Downey said: "I refuse to allow what was planned as a simple get together of family, friends and neighbours who supported me throughout my wrongful arrest and imprisonment in England to welcome me home and allow me to thank them, to be misrepresented and turned into a media circus."

Applesisapples

What a load of nonsense it would appear that everyone knew the OTRs were being in formed that they were or were not wanted. How'd Robinson think they were informed, telepathy? As for the stoops, just when you think they can't stoop any lower Big Al pulls it out of the bag.

Denn Forever

What would the thoughts be if the army from Bloody Sunday are given letters to say that they will never be pursued for their crimes?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Gaffer

Or if 187 loyalists waved similar kind of letters in the air?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

take_yer_points

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 02, 2014, 12:12:09 PM
What would the thoughts be if the army from Bloody Sunday are given letters to say that they will never be pursued for their crimes?

I'd imagine there'd be outrage amongst sections of the republican and nationalist community as well as a fair amount of indifference amongst some other sections. There'd also be a few who would agree with Peter Hain this morning when he said there's no point in pursuing the perpetrators with a view to seeking prosecution.

In the unionist community I'd say it would be the opposite - agreement among sections, indifference among other sections with a minority saying it shouldn't happen and they should be prosecuted.

Why do you ask? Is that what the letters to the on the runs said or did they say that they were not currently being sought but if new evidence emerges they they may be sought for prosecution again?

Myles Na G.

Quote from: take_yer_points on March 02, 2014, 01:07:25 PM

I'd imagine there'd be outrage amongst sections of the republican and nationalist community as well as a fair amount of indifference amongst some other sections. There'd also be a few who would agree with Peter Hain this morning when he said there's no point in pursuing the perpetrators with a view to seeking prosecution.

In the unionist community I'd say it would be the opposite - agreement among sections, indifference among other sections with a minority saying it shouldn't happen and they should be prosecuted.

Why do you ask? Is that what the letters to the on the runs said or did they say that they were not currently being sought but if new evidence emerges they they may be sought for prosecution again?
The content of the letters has been misrepresented by various unionist politicians, which has no doubt added to the distress of victims' families. They are not a get out of jail free card, they are not a pardon nor an amnesty. They say something to the effect that you are not currently being sought by authorities in Ireland or in GB, but that that situation could change in the future. With Downey there was a mistake, because he was being actively pursued by the Metropolitan Police. As with the flags issue, unionist politicians have stoked up fears and led their supporters up a blind alley. Peter Hain, amongst others, has pointed out everyone knew there was such a process even if they didn't know the detail. For unionists to claim that this was a secret deal and that they would never have accepted it had they known is just plain dishonesty.

take_yer_points

Quote from: Myles Na G. on March 02, 2014, 01:17:12 PM
Quote from: take_yer_points on March 02, 2014, 01:07:25 PM

The content of the letters has been misrepresented by various unionist politicians, which has no doubt added to the distress of victims' families. They are not a get out of jail free card, they are not a pardon nor an amnesty. They say something to the effect that you are not currently being sought by authorities in Ireland or in GB, but that that situation could change in the future. With Downey there was a mistake, because he was being actively pursued by the Metropolitan Police. As with the flags issue, unionist politicians have stoked up fears and led their supporters up a blind alley. Peter Hain, amongst others, has pointed out everyone knew there was such a process even if they didn't know the detail. For unionists to claim that this was a secret deal and that they would never have accepted it had they known is just plain dishonesty.

That's my understanding as well - I could be wrong though and am happy to be corrected if I am

lawnseed

If i'd been in downey's position the first thing i'd have done upon arrest is pull out my letter. Its seem the brit cops ignored this. Or which is more likely the whole case against downey was a setup in order to get the bloodly sunday soldiers similar letters which haine has now called for (coincidentally of course) obviously someone up the chain of command is sweating
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once