The Haas Talks

Started by Orior, September 20, 2013, 11:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apparently so

I quite like Basil McCrea. Seems decent enough

AQMP

Quote from: Apparently so on February 27, 2014, 02:43:24 PM
I quite like Basil McCrea. Seems decent enough

Aye, might vote for him...if he wasn't one of themmuns!! ;)

AQMP

Could this all backfire on the DUP??

Jonathan Powell on Radio 4:

Mr Powell told BBC Radio Four's World At One: "We'd tried legislation, we tried amnesties, we tried all sorts of things and we couldn't get them agreed.

"The letters were something quite different, they were an administrative scheme to make clear to people that they were not wanted, that they were not being sought by the police forces so they could come back - they were a factual thing, not part of a political negotiation.

"So the whole basis of this argument is actually completely misplaced."

"I don't see why a letter to someone telling them they are not wanted for a crime is something relevant for anyone to know apart the police and the people they are writing to," said Mr Powell.

"Again we are missing the point between an agreement on On the Runs which was very public - we were negotiating about it and failed to reach agreement on it - and factual letters saying you are not wanted.

"Agreements aren't a la carte. You can't suddenly not like that part of the agreement - I'm only going to have the bits that I like.

"You reach an agreement and they are very difficult these sort of agreements and both parties have to swallow things they really don't want to do and would rather not.

"Releasing murderers as part of the Good Friday agreement after only two years in prison was an extraordinarily difficult thing for the government to do and an extraordinarily difficult thing for particularly the unionist community in Northern Ireland to swallow - but you have to have these difficult compromises of you are going to an agreement - you can't just say it's all going to be for one side"

AQMP

Could this all backfire on the DUP...maybe, maybe not.  Not exactly what Robinson asked for but maybe enough to get him out of the corner he's backed himself into.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-26373678

UK PM David Cameron appoints independent judge to review Northern Ireland secret letters row by end of May.

He said: "I agree with the first minister of Northern Ireland that after the terrible error of the Downey case it is right to get to the bottom of what happened.

"The case has already been referred to the Police Ombudsman, and as the first minister has said we should have a full independent examination of the whole operation of this scheme.

"We will appoint an independent judge to produce a full public account of the operation of this administrative scheme to determine whether any other letters were sent in error.

"The judge will have full access to government files and to government officials.

"This needs to happen quickly so this review will report by the end of May and we'll publish the report."

Milltown Row2

I'm not being political in any way here but it says that letters were sent to those 'On the Run' - if they were 'on the run' how did they know where to send the letters to?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AQMP

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 27, 2014, 03:56:54 PM
I'm not being political in any way here but it says that letters were sent to those 'On the Run' - if they were 'on the run' how did they know where to send the letters to?

Gerry Kelly hand delivered them!! 

I'd say they went through SF or in some cases solicitors.

johnneycool

Loyalists also availed of this service it seems as well.

The more its come out, the more there's no way Peter, Nige and the lads didn't know about it at the time.

Goldengreen

Franko

Quote from: johnneycool on February 27, 2014, 04:29:11 PM

The more its come out, the more there's no way Peter, Nige and the lads didn't know about it at the time.

Not according to the BBC... where are you getting this from JC?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-26359906

Nally Stand

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Maguire01

So, Peter got what he wanted. Although if my understanding of the letters is correct, there's nothing to rescind. The letters were statements of fact at a point in time with no guarantees. The media haven't been clear on this, but if it's the case, Robinson is spinning these clarification letters as a great victory when in fact they change nothing. Will be interesting to see the SF reaction.

AQMP

Quote from: Franko on February 27, 2014, 05:28:40 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on February 27, 2014, 04:29:11 PM

Not according to the BBC... where are you getting this from JC?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-26359906

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/on-the-runs-loyalists-were-also-asked-for-a-list-of-their-fugitives-30046306.html

Loyalists were asked to submit names of OTRs and surprise, surprise like the British Army, they didn't have any.

AQMP

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 27, 2014, 05:47:13 PM
So, Peter got what he wanted. Although if my understanding of the letters is correct, there's nothing to rescind. The letters were statements of fact at a point in time with no guarantees. The media haven't been clear on this, but if it's the case, Robinson is spinning these clarification letters as a great victory when in fact they change nothing. Will be interesting to see the SF reaction.

That's the way he'll spin it. It seems the inquiry will only look at how the system operated and whether any other mistakes were made.  But you're right, there is nothing to rescind unless the PSNI made a balls up in any other cases.

I presume in the future no letters will be sent and communication of this nature will be by Morse Code or semaphore??

muppet

Quote from: Nally Stand on February 27, 2014, 05:29:49 PM

Dear HM Government.

Thank ye for thon letter.

Yous are not wanted either.

Is mise le meas,

P. O'Neill.
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

I see the Stormont Assembly condemned the Brit Govt over the issue today( 56 to 27)
Does that mean
1- The British Government has to resign and hold a General Election?
2- Did the SDLP support the Unionist motion.?
3 - Does anyone give two fcuks what that Assembly does once the pay cheques keep coming?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM