Meath vs Antrim - Christy Ring Final

Started by thejuice, May 30, 2016, 09:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Stadium Scoreboard operator. 

QuoteIf the scoreboard operator made the mistake then the other two would have been right and so forth.

I find it staggering that all three made the same mistake

Exactly my point.

QuoteHow is the scoreboard operator synced up with the match officials in Croke Park?

Don't know that he is, and in fact I would seriously doubt he is. Just like he isn't at any other venue. This sort of thing happens all over the country on a regular basis. Lads up on the scoreboard missing a point or something. The ref knows, and is in the habit of, trusting *his* account, and checking it with a trusted lieutenant.

Jaysus I was doing umpire at an U12 memorial tournament a couple of weeks ago, for a ref I had never umpired for before. I umpired 8 games, and after each one the ref and I had a quick chat about the score. 1-6 to 0-4? Yep that's what I had. Then the ref would announce the score to the management teams.

This is not alien to any ref in our association. It's not like they were suddenly landed in a big stadium and reffed their first ever match.

Craigyhill Terror

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 08, 2016, 01:53:02 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 08, 2016, 12:04:41 PM
I just had a twitter exchange with John Fogarty, who wrote that article, and he confirmed that it is the case that *all* scores are reviewed, regardless of the signal from the umpire/ref, and if they spot an error, they immediately buzz the ref to correct it.

The only question is 'Was Hawkeye Operational on Saturday?.'

If it was, Meath's question is irrelevant. If it wasn't then Meath might well be right, but at least it would answer why not refer it to Hawkeye.
I was at CP for the Antrim match and the Armagh one before it and I was sure Hawkeye was operational but I am starting to doubt myself. I know I have seen it somewhere over the weekend so it can only have been the Waterford v Clare match - was there any Hawkeye calls during it?

Before the Antrim match they announced all the officials - including replay official Dickie Murphy - so Hawk-Eye was obviously intended to be operational for the match. As it happens, the scoreboard operator mis-spelled his name as "Dichie Murphy"

AZOffaly

Quote from: Craigyhill Terror on June 08, 2016, 03:53:45 PM
I just had a twitter exchange with John Fogarty, who wrote that article, and he confirmed that it is the case that *all* scores are reviewed, regardless of the signal from the umpire/ref, and if they spot an error, they immediately buzz the ref to correct it.

If it was, Meath's question is irrelevant. If it wasn't then Meath might well be right, but at least it would answer why not refer it to Hawkeye.
I was at CP for the Antrim match and the Armagh one before it and I was sure Hawkeye was operational but I am starting to doubt myself. I know I have seen it somewhere over the weekend so it can only have been the Waterford v Clare match - was there any Hawkeye calls during it?

Before the Antrim match they announced all the officials - including replay official Dickie Murphy - so Hawk-Eye was obviously intended to be operational for the match. As it happens, the scoreboard operator mis-spelled his name as "Dichie Murphy"

He had a right 'mare :)

Craigyhill Terror

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 08, 2016, 03:55:05 PM

And for the first 15 minutes of the Rackard final the Dublin crest was up on the screen instead of the Armagh one. Bad day all around

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Craigyhill Terror on June 08, 2016, 03:56:50 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 08, 2016, 03:55:05 PM

And for the first 15 minutes of the Rackard final the Dublin crest was up on the screen instead of the Armagh one. Bad day all around
All of which I think is symptomatic of second, third and fourth tier counties being treated exactly like that instead of treated like counties at HEADQUARTERS playing in the final of the highest competition  available to them.

thejuice

Hope the lads just get on with the game, knuckle down and win it. Sometimes you think you've climbed the mountain only to find there's another peak above the clouds.

Meath Management should tell the lads to think of it as their first title defense. We win and we're still champions, lose and we're not.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

heffo

The Meath Chairman was told by a senior member of the GAA in Croke Park after the game that there was an issue and a replay was very likely

Aaron Boone

And Meath fans get an opportunity to head to Sainsburys in Newry.

From the Bunker

Will there be a charge into the game if it goes ahead? I know neither fans will have an appetite for such a game. So I'd expect a small crowd. Hard to expect the hard core supporters to fork out cash for a game made a mess of by headquarters.

heffo

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 08, 2016, 10:05:38 PM
Will there be a charge into the game if it goes ahead? I know neither fans will have an appetite for such a game. So I'd expect a small crowd. Hard to expect the hard core supporters to fork out cash for a game made a mess of by headquarters.

I would say there is zero chance of the game going ahead

Minder

Quote from: heffo on June 08, 2016, 10:07:46 PM

Thought I saw something on the Twitter machine there that Meath had agreed to replay it
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

heffo

Quote from: Minder on June 08, 2016, 10:23:48 PM

Thought I saw something on the Twitter machine there that Meath had agreed to replay it

The Meath team are still at it (or at least were) somewhere around Nobber so they'll hardly be playing an IC final Saturday night

Itchy

Sure they have no class, course they won't replay it.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Itchy on June 08, 2016, 10:29:01 PM

It was reported on Twitter that they had agreed to play it but only if it was was 18th June.

Minder

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 08, 2016, 10:31:21 PM
Quote from: Itchy on June 08, 2016, 10:29:01 PM

It was reported on Twitter that they had agreed to play it but only if it was was 18th June.

Antrim play Derry in Ulster Championship on 18th June
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"