Meath vs Antrim - Christy Ring Final

Started by thejuice, May 30, 2016, 09:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

I dunno what the issue is here. The game ended in a draw. Just because one team was awarded a cup and celebrated doesn't change that. Both teams scored the same so there was no winner. That's the bottom line. Meath did not win the game!

Reminds me a bit of the 89 Connacht Minor Football Final when Roscommon were awarded a last-kick-of- the-game penalty. Ros were trailing Galway by 2 and needed a goal. The designated penalty taker stood over and placed the ball and while he was stepping back to take his shot Cake Curran ran up and buried a goal. The ref. obviously disallowed the goal but because it was the last kick of the game, things went wild. Roscommon assumed they won and celebrated and the officials presented the cup to Roscommon even though Galway had won. Seemingly nobody asked the referee what was going on. The referee had done nothing wrong. Yet he never referred again after and was the patsy. Connacht Council caved in and the game was replayed. Now that was daft. Galway won the game.
Just because a team has been awarded a title in error doesn't mean they can keep it. In this latest case their was no winner so a replay is the only solution.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: moysider on June 09, 2016, 01:30:53 AM

I dunno what the issue is here. The game ended in a draw. Just because one team was awarded a cup and celebrated doesn't change that. Both teams scored the same so there was no winner. That's the bottom line. Meath did not win the game!

Reminds me a bit of the 89 Connacht Minor Football Final when Roscommon were awarded a last-kick-of- the-game penalty. Ros were trailing Galway by 2 and needed a goal. The designated penalty taker stood over and placed the ball and while he was stepping back to take his shot Cake Curran ran up and buried a goal. The ref. obviously disallowed the goal but because it was the last kick of the game, things went wild. Roscommon assumed they won and celebrated and the officials presented the cup to Roscommon even though Galway had won. Seemingly nobody asked the referee what was going on. The referee had done nothing wrong. Yet he never referred again after and was the patsy. Connacht Council caved in and the game was replayed. Now that was daft. Galway won the game.
Just because a team has been awarded a title in error doesn't mean they can keep it. In this latest case their was no winner so a replay is the only solution.
that was more like the 2010 Leinster final as there was an obvious playing rule broken

this episode is different as it relates to score keeping.

Farrandeelin

Where would Meath's hurling heartlands be?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

johnneycool

Quote from: Minder on June 08, 2016, 10:33:43 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 08, 2016, 10:31:21 PM
Quote from: Itchy on June 08, 2016, 10:29:01 PM
Quote from: Minder on June 08, 2016, 10:23:48 PM
Quote from: heffo on June 08, 2016, 10:07:46 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 08, 2016, 10:05:38 PM
Will there be a charge into the game if it goes ahead? I know neither fans will have an appetite for such a game. So I'd expect a small crowd. Hard to expect the hard core supporters to fork out cash for a game made a mess of by headquarters.

I would say there is zero chance of the game going ahead

Thought I saw something on the Twitter machine there that Meath had agreed to replay it

Sure they have no class, course they won't replay it.
It was reported on Twitter that they had agreed to play it but only if it was was 18th June.

Antrim play Derry in Ulster Championship on 18th June

Meath are looking it back in Croke park on the 18th I hear!!!

It won't be the first time an Ulster championship game has been moved, sure it can be played in February next year  ;)

Or Antrim can play the Ulster championship game on Sunday the 19th of June

Applesisapples

Meath will have no option but to play as fixed. Not to fulfil this fixture would have dire consequences for the Meath CB. Expect to see men in jeans, Dromintee could lend them a few.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 09, 2016, 08:11:19 AM
Where would Meath's hurling heartlands be?
Along Westmeath border and from Trim to Enfield

imtommygunn

When did the time and venue of the replay become a choice to either county...

While a whole debacle it's as bad as antrim as it is for meath so not sure why they should throw the toys out of the pram so much.

johnneycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 09, 2016, 11:28:30 AM

While a whole debacle it's as bad as antrim as it is for meath so not sure why they should throw the toys out of the pram so much.

When you fĂșck up the original fixture and going by your own rules don't give proper notification in advance of a championship game (3/4 days is hardly enough!!) you're at the mercy of both county boards to play ball.

Meath will play ball, but only on their terms it seems!

MoChara

I think its after their bluster that they want to be able to show they had some affect on getting things their way, that's the way its looking to me.

johnneycool

Quote from: MoChara on June 09, 2016, 11:53:14 AM

I think its after their bluster that they want to be able to show they had some affect on getting things their way, that's the way its looking to me.

Looks like its worked!

25th of June in Croke Park it seems now!

MoChara

Quote from: johnneycool on June 09, 2016, 12:17:55 PM
Quote from: MoChara on June 09, 2016, 11:53:14 AM

Looks like its worked!

25th of June in Croke Park it seems now!

Confirmed on the GAA website now so its official unless Antrim put in a Counter claim lol

muppet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZKbZlERhQs

The ref was just shunted into the crowd! On his own. Crap stewarding that*

Galway CB offered a replay and some of the players at the time felt that was to get votes for the Tony Keady affair. If that was true, it didn't work and the minors lost the replay as well.

* The odd member of this board may or may not have been stewarding that day.
MWWSI 2017

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: muppet on June 09, 2016, 01:14:35 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZKbZlERhQs

The ref was just shunted into the crowd! On his own. Crap stewarding that*

Galway CB offered a replay and some of the players at the time felt that was to get votes for the Tony Keady affair. If that was true, it didn't work and the minors lost the replay as well.

* The odd member of this board may or may not have been stewarding that day.
I knew Galway didn't win the replay!

thejuice

Are we the first back to back winners of the Ring Cup?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

manfromdelmonte