Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: ONeill on April 29, 2017, 10:54:15 PM
He beat a 41-year-old who'd been out of the ring for 18 months. Not convinced.

Boxing isn't a sport where you're so far past your best around 40 that you can't be near the top of your sport. Vlad is still probably the second best fighter at heavyweight. Wilder is useless and Parker has fought no one.

Minder

Quote from: ONeill on April 29, 2017, 10:54:15 PM
He beat a 41-year-old who'd been out of the ring for 18 months. Not convinced.

Yeah that's how I see it
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Asal Mor

Brilliant fight. AJ is not much of a speaker though. Cliches and waffle. Vlad came across great I thought - very sporting.

Syferus

Quote from: Asal Mor on April 29, 2017, 10:59:58 PM
Brilliant fight. AJ is not much of a speaker though. Cliches and waffle. Vlad came across great I thought - very sporting.

I thought Joshua came across great. Doesn't seem like a bollix despite being the most hyped fighter since Tyson.

Wildweasel74

At around 40 in boxing you should be well done if you fighting fighters of yesteryear,  for example how would any of the pair shape against ALi, Holmes, tyson, Foreman, Frazier, Louis at there peaks tonight?

AZOffaly

The speeches reminded me of Rocky v Drago at the end. Russians chanting Rocky Rocky.

Wildweasel74

5th Round was many the best round of heavyweight boxing i had seen in years

Syferus

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 29, 2017, 11:03:22 PM
At around 40 in boxing you should be well done if you fighting fighters of yesteryear,  for example who would any shape of the pair  shape against ALi, Holmes, tyson, Foreman, Frazier, Louis at there peaks tonight?

Mayweather, and many others. Boxers are a lot better protected and managed these days and most of the best are still very good between 35-40.

gallsman

I don't think Joshua was naive celebrating when he first knocked him down - he thought the ref had stopped it as the ref stepped in before Wlad actually went down. There was a good shot of Vitaly at that point who clearly thought it had been called off too.

RealSpiritof98

That was a great fight. Joshua has hands like stone and nearly took vlads head off with that uppercut, that punch alone won the fight. Joshua will destroy anyone else. He has shown he has the balls to fight the top guys, yes Vlad is 41 but he was untouchable for 10years. I feel there just wasn't anyone good enough to take him. You also have to remember this lad started boxing at 18, yes 18. Thats a lot of missed learning at youth clubs, junior and school tournaments getting your head pounded. I hope there's a rematch.

ONeill

Yea it looked like the ref sorta cocked up in that 5th round.

Get Evander back in the ring. The real Apollo Creed.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Minder

Jesus Christ would they stop asking Bellew questions
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Asal Mor

Quote from: Syferus on April 29, 2017, 11:01:41 PM
Quote from: Asal Mor on April 29, 2017, 10:59:58 PM

I thought Joshua came across great. Doesn't seem like a bollix despite being the most hyped fighter since Tyson.

He's undoubtedly a nice fella and the respectful build-up was a breath of fresh air, but calling out Fury in front of Klitschko when he'd just scraped through  against the great man was disrespectful, and as an orator, I find him about as gripping as, say..... Alan Smith.

gallsman

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on April 29, 2017, 11:12:28 PM
That was a great fight. Joshua has hands like stone and nearly took vlads head off with that uppercut, that punch alone won the fight. Joshua will destroy anyone else. He has shown he has the balls to fight the top guys, yes Vlad is 41 but he was untouchable for 10years. I feel there just wasn't anyone good enough to take him. You also have to remember this lad started boxing at 18, yes 18. Thats a lot of missed learning at youth clubs, junior and school tournaments getting your head pounded. I hope there's a rematch.

Fury beat him 18 months ago.

The uppercut didn't put him down.

He's flawed, which he acknowledges and could get out worked by a crafty fighter like Fury. He could get sparked by a puncher like Wilder. He's doing great for a guy who has had 19 Pro fights bit he's a long way from the finished article.

ONeill

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on April 29, 2017, 11:12:28 PM

Agree with a lot but Vlad's last fight was a defeat to Tyson Fury in 2015. Tyson fcukin Fury. Pre-Brexit.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.