'GAA Athletes for a No Vote'

Started by Jinxy, April 21, 2018, 08:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: thewobbler on April 23, 2018, 10:46:20 AM
Mickey Harte is completely out of order here.

I don't care how many all Irelands he was won, he has no right to present his merry band as in any way representative of the GAA.

And why all the GAA gear on?
Surely if you're projecting your own personal views then there's no need for the GAA gear on.

I'm sure they've other attire in their wardrobe.

Rittal

He's certainly entitled to his opinion as people have said,him having a vote or not is irrelevant. I agree he shouldn't be doing it under the name of the GAA though.
I'm not sure how much of an influence he would have anyway on people who are undecided.
I'll be voting No but it won't be because Mickey Harte told me too.
It also won't be because I'm some sort of religious freak which is something anyone voting no seems to be labelled as. I'm anything but religious.

Jinxy

One of the most vexing things for me re Mickey Harte's group is that they obviously put a lot of thought into how they could maximise the perception that this was a 'GAA' group, without actually being in technical breach of any rules (that I can see at least).
The name, the location for the launch, the deliberate blurring of the lines between their position and the strategic vision of the association etc.
It's incredibly cynical stuff.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Tubberman

Quote from: Rittal on April 23, 2018, 11:21:55 AM
He's certainly entitled to his opinion as people have said,him having a vote or not is irrelevant. I agree he shouldn't be doing it under the name of the GAA though.
I'm not sure how much of an influence he would have anyway on people who are undecided.
It also won't be because I'm some sort of religious freak which is something anyone voting no seems to be labelled as. I'm anything but religious.

Agree with all of that.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Orchard park

Quote from: Jinxy on April 23, 2018, 11:24:56 AM
One of the most vexing things for me re Mickey Harte's group is that they obviously put a lot of thought into how they could maximise the perception that this was a 'GAA' group, without actually being in technical breach of any rules (that I can see at least).
The name, the location for the launch, the deliberate blurring of the lines between their position and the strategic vision of the association etc.

This is what i have the issue with. It was cynical exploitation of a club , of kids attending a training gig etc. Its totally underhand and cynical and in case anyone thinks this is just mickey harte bashing I'm equally vexed with Joe sheridan and the others who I never heard of before

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Rittal on April 23, 2018, 11:21:55 AM
Absolutely, I've been in Croke Park more often this year than in a church but there's no way I could support abortion on demand, which Varadkar and co. have somehow capitulated to supporting. Everyone will sympathise with the difficult stories and complications that we hear of, but what's on the table goes well beyond that and hopefully the No camp will hammer that message home before polling day.

Rufus T Firefly

I think you have to try and put yourself in Mickey Harte's shoes here to try and understand his thought processes. My sense would be that Mickey, as a devout Catholic, will regard the legalization of abortion as tantamount to allowing the murder of the innocents. In such circumstances, he will use whatever influence he has to try and affect that decision. In that context, his concern for the issue around the blurring of the lines regarding the use of the GAA's name will carry zero weight.

By the way, I wonder will those 'Gaels' on here, who decry Mickey's intervention, on the basis of him coming from a different jurisdiction, consider their membership of the GAA on the basis that it has as its basic aim "the strengthening of the National Identity in a 32 County Ireland through the preservation and promotion of Gaelic Games and pastimes"?

Their position flies in the face of the spirit of that aim. 

macdanger2

Quote from: Orchard park on April 23, 2018, 11:36:05 AM

This is what i have the issue with. It was cynical exploitation of a club , of kids attending a training gig etc. Its totally underhand and cynical and in case anyone thinks this is just mickey harte bashing I'm equally vexed with Joe sheridan and the others who I never heard of before

New polls out today show the Yes side @ 98% in Louth

Jinxy

;D
Mickey brought in Big Joe to get the 'No' vote over the line.

haranguerer

98% is literally unbelievable.

As noted before, polls count for a lot less now too as with social media people are more aware what the populist view is, and happier to lie in polls to go along with it.

If I had a vote I don't think I would vote, but the position of the No side is much clearer and much easier to justify imo. A lot of what the Yes side say, and how they say it, is bollocks. I suppose at the end of the day all our morals are subjective, and it seems to be the way it is going...

sid waddell

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on April 23, 2018, 12:07:23 PM

I think you have to try and put yourself in Mickey Harte's shoes here to try and understand his thought processes. My sense would be that Mickey, as a devout Catholic, will regard the legalization of abortion as tantamount to allowing the murder of the innocents. In such circumstances, he will use whatever influence he has to try and affect that decision. In that context, his concern for the issue around the blurring of the lines regarding the use of the GAA's name will carry zero weight.

By the way, I wonder will those 'Gaels' on here, who decry Mickey's intervention, on the basis of him coming from a different jurisdiction, consider their membership of the GAA on the basis that it has as its basic aim "the strengthening of the National Identity in a 32 County Ireland through the preservation and promotion of Gaelic Games and pastimes"?

Their position flies in the face of the spirit of that aim.

Harte coming from outside the 26 counties has nothing to do with anything, so let's put that one to bed. We've had a president from Belfast, and Martin McGuinness and Dana ran last time.

There's a glaring inconsistency that the No side never answer. If they believe that abortion truly does constitute "murder", why can't any of them answer whether they think women who have abortions are committing murder, and should be locked up in prison for such?

Presuming the No campaigners think all murders should be punishable by imprisonment, like.

Between 1980 and 2016, 170,000 Irish women travelled abroad to have abortions.

Are these 170,000 women therefore "murderers"?

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

haranguerer

Mourne Red

How to stump a save the 8ther - Hypothetical Question

If you could choose only one, would you save 1,000 viable human embryos or one child in a burning building?

Jinxy

Louth folk are notoriously liberal.