Saturday July 22 Cork v Mayo, Gaelic Grounds, 5PM

Started by Lar Naparka, July 10, 2017, 03:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

for the second year in a row Mayo have got a nice run after a defeat in Connacht

last year they got a few handy games in McHale Park to ease them back into it.
same with this year, no team with a killer punch to beat them when they were ton the ropes in both games
are Cork capable of doing that?
doubtful.

twohands!!!

Cork are woeful - If Mayo can't take care of them fairly comfortably , they may as well pack it in.

rosnarun

Quote from: highorlow on July 18, 2017, 10:23:47 PM
I'd be worried if we got 7 to 8 points down after 20mins. Likely panic would set in. Hopefully the slow start the last day was tactical but it's been a habit for a while now. One thing is we don't want to give them a sniff as they could gain in confidence and we could likely erode.

I'd imagine we will be dictating this one from the start though and should be able to dominate with our running game and AOS in FF this time.
when will mayo fans realize that this is a magnificent team with big characters and does not run and hide and fold at 1st sign if pressure .
I always feel there is a claque of fans out there just waiting for   signs of weakness to jump on the team and players like Aidan and Clillian in particular
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Syferus

Quote from: rosnarun on July 19, 2017, 02:34:31 PM
I'd be worried if we got 7 to 8 points down after 20mins. Likely panic would set in. Hopefully the slow start the last day was tactical but it's been a habit for a while now. One thing is we don't want to give them a sniff as they could gain in confidence and we could likely erode.

I'd imagine we will be dictating this one from the start though and should be able to dominate with our running game and AOS in FF this time.
when will mayo fans realize that this is a magnificent team with big characters and does not run and hide and fold at 1st sign if pressure .
I always feel there is a claque of fans out there just waiting for   signs of weakness to jump on the team and players like Aidan and Clillian in particular

What county isn't that way?

larryin89

I attend every game league and championship and converse with many mayo supporters , none think anything like that rosnarun.

Everyone is proud of this group. But they cannot go on forever , if its the realists youre meaning . Mayo will not win the all ireland this year unless they find an unbelievable kick into top form , on current form we are honestly only pricking about for the sake of it.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Crete Boom

Mayo have been fairly inconsistent in these types of games over the last 2 or 3 years and haven't really put a team to the sword since the 2015 Connacht final so that what makes me worry about this game.
Actually I find more common is the mayo fans waiting to jump on the mistake made by a player from a rival club just so they can write them off for example a Keenagh man only commenting on any Stephenites players when they make a mistake/have a bad game rather than when they have a good game!! ;)

rosnarun

Quote from: larryin89 on July 19, 2017, 04:46:02 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on July 19, 2017, 05:20:46 PM

Mayo have been fairly inconsistent in these types of games over the last 2 or 3 years and haven't really put a team to the sword since the 2015 Connacht final so that what makes me worry about this game.
Actually I find more common is the mayo fans waiting to jump on the mistake made by a player from a rival club just so they can write them off for example a Keenagh man only commenting on any Stephenites players when they make a mistake/have a bad game rather than when they have a good game!! ;)

I attend every game league and championship and converse with many mayo supporters , none think anything like that rosnarun.

Everyone is proud of this group. But they cannot go on forever , if its the realists youre meaning . Mayo will not win the all ireland this year unless they find an unbelievable kick into top form , on current form we are honestly only pricking about for the sake of it.
you must be going into dark history here last Stephenites  player to have a bad game for may must have been Paddy Moclair  but I think he was with castlebar at the time. all the rest were excellent esp the 25 or so that were given the chance after they won the club all-ireland
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

AMayoFan

I'm not buying that Cork are as bad as what folks here are thinking.  Reading through stats of the game against Kerry from https://dontfoul.wordpress.com/

'How Kerry ended up with an 11 point win however is purely down to the Conversion Rates'

All respect to our lads but I don't see them going 41 mins without a wide and generating 14 point attempts!  I will also guess the pattern of us picking up black cards will continue (particular when Kerrigan runs at our backs).  Who knows what impact that will have on Sat! 

highorlow

QuoteI will also guess the pattern of us picking up black cards will continue

Dermo's buddy Branagan is the ref.

He likes us.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

AMayoFan

Quote from: highorlow on July 20, 2017, 11:55:38 AM
QuoteI will also guess the pattern of us picking up black cards will continue

Dermo's buddy Branagan is the ref.

He likes us.
;D - I guess they won't be sending each other XMas cards.

Crete Boom

Quote from: rosnarun on July 20, 2017, 10:48:15 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on July 19, 2017, 04:46:02 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on July 19, 2017, 05:20:46 PM

you must be going into dark history here last Stephenites  player to have a bad game for may must have been Paddy Moclair  but I think he was with castlebar at the time. all the rest were excellent esp the 25 or so that were given the chance after they won the club all-ireland

Ah Rosnarun, see you need to leave the bitterness behind and support your county!! ;D Running down an all time legend like Paddy Moclair just because of his association with Ballina is just sad  :'(. What hope have Caff and Clarkie on Sat with this discrimination!!! :o

mayoaremagic

There is something special about this Mayo team this year, how they all came back this year after their monster run last year, getting just seconds from victory. I contine to say, Mayo WILL win it all this year! Roll on September 17, the players, back room team and fans...the date 17-9-17 is OURS! Maigh Eo Abú!!!!

From the Bunker

Quote from: mayoaremagic on July 20, 2017, 04:32:35 PM
There is something special about this Mayo team this year, how they all came back this year after their monster run last year, getting just seconds from victory. I contine to say, Mayo WILL win it all this year! Roll on September 17, the players, back room team and fans...the date 17-9-17 is OURS! Maigh Eo Abú!!!!

The Double is on! Hollymount and Mayo! ;)

joemamas

Quote from: mayoaremagic on July 20, 2017, 04:32:35 PM

I think you should start a new thread.

Mayo V Cork Saturday 22nd of July 2017 17.00hrs

twohands!!!

I've heard two different players have been dropped from the Cork panel due to disciplinary reasons - Tom Clancy from Clonakilty and Peter Kelleher.

There's also something seriously bizarre going on with the goalkeeping situation - The goalkeeper from last year's minor has been called up to the panel. There was 3 keepers involved with the Cork U21 squad this year and this lad wasn't even one of them. On it's own it would be a bit unusual but the Corkman I was talking to said that they would have had the keeper in question way way down the pecking order - there was a number of lads who have been used in McGrath Cup and league games who he said would have been far more likely candidates - he wasn't sure if lads higher up the pecking order has turned down the offer to be involved. Not sure who exactly has been dropped/walked in terms of the keepers - whether it was the 2nd or 3rd choice.

Cork are definitely missing Niall Coakley through injury and Michael Shields, Ruairí Deane and James Loughrey are all in the being monitored category.

Rebels to exit with a whimper and I wouldn't be surprised if Mayo handed them a right whupping.